Giro Boreas Helmets

[Aug 16, 2002]
getoffmywheel
Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

Light 270 grams I think, alot of air, you can get a good deal on one now, durability. Feels comfortble.

It's not very compact which is my biggest complaint, the glue for the pads comes undone (easy to fix) and the Roc Loc doesn't adjust as well as it's claimed so it can be a pain if you like to wear headbands when it's colder.

This helmet has saved me in one crash on a road bike, and several endos, washouts, and tree contact many times on my mtbike. Only some marks remain, no dents or deformities. I have been real happy with the ventilation. I've bought a Limar due to it's compact size and looks though. You can get great deals on these right now on the internet for the price of lesser quality helmets, used to be top of the line Giro before the Pnuemo. I bought it on sale.

many others

[Feb 12, 2002]
dsaia
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, ventilated, fit, looks good.

The Roc Loc hooks in back sometimes come undone.

For me this is the best helmet available. I use to hate wearing helmets. After (sparsely) using several bell helmets over the years I finally decided that in order for me to wear a helmet through the 105 degree summers here it would have to feel like I was wearing no helmet at all. I went to REI who had one huge wall of helmets and literally tryed on every single (small-med size) helmet to see which felt best. The Giro stuck out, by far, as the most comfortable, lightest and "invisible" on my head. I love this helmet and wear it frequently.

Various Bells

[Oct 30, 2001]
Cross Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Good fit Good ventilation Good looks Adjustable on the fly with Roc-Loc 3

Velcro harness pads

The Boreas is a great helmet with superior ventilation. Being able to adjust the tension on the fly is a great feature. However, like every other helmet, the velcro pads for the harness will come off all too quickly. The stick-on velcro is readily available at any hardware store - there only seems to be one company that makes the stuff. Bell recommended cleaning the helmet area with alcohol before putting on the new pad. Giro recommended sanding instead. I did both, and the new velcro has held well for over a year. The real solution is to find a helmet that doesn''t use velcro to hold the harness, like the newer Giro''s with Roc-Loc 4

Bell EVO