Giro Saros Helmets

Available At

The Giro Saros is a road bicycle cycling helmet that features an in-mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner. This shell makes the helmet extremely durable and light while also providing the rider with great ventilation. Also features a roll cage internal reinforcement, which provides the rider with safety for any potential crashes. Features the Roc Loc 5 that ensures the rider of a good fit as well as 23 wind tunnel vents for internal channeling.

[Jan 04, 2012]
David Jensen

OVERALL
Strength:

Seems light and once adjusted and secure it doesnt move and I dont even know its there.

2012 Helmet has a 2010 sticker on it. Bell Sports (yes BELL markets these) needs to fix this error. They are very LAZY trying to say there old inventory is now 2012. If anything they should at least print new stickers!!!

By the way, the first helmet I bought from Nashbar was a "Closeout", the 2nd helmet I bought (from another online seller) which was almost 4 months later was listed as a 2012 but had the exact same date code sticker on it.

I would give the helmet a rating of 5 if it wasnt for them selling old helmets and calling them new.

I purchased 1 helmet from Nashbar in Oct 2011. It was on sale plus I had a coupon for free freight plus I bought on Columbus day which got me another discount. It ended up costing me $42! Nashbar is great. The 2nd helmet I bought was from a Giro dealer who sells on ebay. He advertised it as an 2012 model. When I received it the date code sticker said 2010 (same as the one from Nashbar). The guy I bought it from said it IS a 2012 just with an old sticker. I contacted Bell Sports about it and they said YES its just a "carry over" but its now considered a 2012. That seems really LAME to me. They say on there web site that you should replace your helmet every 3 years but yet they sell "Old Stock". They did not impress me at all with their explanation.

Ok... anyways, about the helmet itself. I really like it... thats why I bought a 2nd one. Everyones head is different so for some it might not work very good, but for me it fit great and I loved the roc-lok system. My old Giro was nice but this one is way lighter and flows a lot more air to keep you cool. I wear a cap when its cool out and it fits great under the helmet.

I wear a large and to me it fits great and looks very proportional.

Bell, Giro

[Oct 06, 2011]
dsmaryland

OVERALL
Strength:

It appears that it will protect my head if I fall.

It is bulbous, not lightweight.
The Roc-Loc system is antiquated and not sturdy.
Peculiar fit

I purchased this to replace a Giro Pneumo, which I loved. The Pneumo after 3 years started falling apart -- the plastic harness pieces became brittle and broke. This helmet was billed as the replacement. It is not. It is larger, more bulbous, apparently heavier. The roc-loc system should be replaced by a dial. And I have had a hard time getting the straps just right.

Giro Pneumo

[Apr 30, 2010]
Texas1

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice graphics for Livestrong, lite weight, good air flow

seems to thick at front, not a good winter helmet with the air flow

I bought the Livestrong version of this helmet to replace my Louis G. It is light weight and allows good air flow. However, it seems to thick at the front.

Specialized, Louis Garneau

[Mar 22, 2010]
eskipka

OVERALL
Strength:

-Large and ample vents catching wind up front
-No mushroom head
-Light
-Very high end look for less than the high end price

-Straps are hard to get exactly perfect (but don't take long at all to get right (and I've never picky about how the straps are)

I already had a decent helmet and it was still in working condition but I
thought it was time to upgrade to a legit road helmet.

My head measures right at 59 and I tried both the Large and Medium on before
ordering. The medium was a little too tight on the temples even with the Rock
lock all the way out so i tried on the large and it felt very comfortable.
Going up in the sizes will also allow me to use this in the winter and put a
cap under it. Definitely recommend the size up if you're RIGHT on the fence
size wise. It will tighten up enough to be snug if you''re at 59cm (I'd even
venture to say it'd work if you're 57-58 I still have a few clicks I could go
on mine)

The straps are a little tricky to get just right (I'm OCD about those things)
but by no means make this a 4/5 helmet because of that. The Rock Lock works
great once you get it dialed just right and doesn't slip once you set it. You
COULD do adjustments with one hand but it's best to do it with two but I don't
know anyone that is adjusting their helmet all the time mid ride or who can't
ride no hands for the 2 seconds it takes to adjust.

At the price point I got this for it was a no
brainer. It feels very light on the head, the amount and size of the vents
catching the wind directly is great and the vents in the back are both ample
and large enough to keep the air moving over the head.

Aside from that it just looks attractive. It has a very high end look that
would only be bettered by putting in the carbon fiber reinforcement (which you
pay $80 more for). I got the Blue and silver one to go with my bike and the
colors are great. Doesn't have too may graphics to make you feel like you''re
wearing a kiddy helmet. It also doesn't give you that classic mushroom head
look. The frontal area sticking out from your forehead isn't excessive like
some cheaper helmets out there.

Great buy!

[Mar 07, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort - Ventilation - Lightness. Overall a great helmet.

A little bit fiddly to get the straps tight and fitting snug - but very comfortable once it's achieved

Its a while since I bought a new helmet and I was well overdue. I had dithered over a Giro Monza last year but didn't, so when the 09 Saros came on sale I jumped at it. I have done a few rides with it now and I must say it is BY FAR he best helmet I've had in my 20+years of cycling.

It seems to replace the well regarded Monza in he Giro line up and the RRP is a little higher. If you shop around there are deals at less than $100.

It is light and very comfy on your head and I was skeptical about the claims over the ventilation properties. But it really does work. Keeps your head super cool. Sometimes I can bearly tell I'm wearing a helmet.

If your head fits the Giro design (and not all do - they make hats for those with rounder heads!) this is a great buy!

Met - Specialized