Rudy Project Sterling Helmet Helmets

The Rudy Project Sterling goes head to head with the best helmets on the market. This top-of-the-line model combines the three most important helmet features: light weight, ventilation, and fit.

[Dec 15, 2016]
Oldteen

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, soft straps, visor, twin padding systems and helmet bag supplied, sunglass holder.

Only 2 size options, pricey

THE most comfortable helmet I've owned. Retention system easily adjustable with one hand. Soft straps are comfy and do not chafe on long rides. Great ventilation. Integral holder for sunglasses, although I don't use it as I wear prescription glasses. Switchable padding options of conventional velcro pads and a unique "bugstop" netting pad. I find the netting pad is more comfy but can get warm on the hottest days (95+ heat index). Supplying a protective cloth bag for transport/storage is a nice touch. Just be sure to try one on for size as only 2 sizes are offered (vs 3 in most others in this price class).

Bell Sweep, Giro Atmos

[Apr 11, 2013]
Nick

Strength:

Poor construction, poor fit, heavy

I could never quite get the helmet to fit right. There was always some slop and it left some hot-spots on my forehead after every ride. After less than 20 rides, the adjustment mechanism snapped and fell apart everywhere. I was able to find all the pieces but the plastic frame part had also snapped. For a premium helmet, I was expecting something that would last a lot longer. The poor quality is absolutely unacceptable for a product of this level!

[Oct 16, 2012]
austincrx

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, comfortable, breathable, not too expensive, fits very well, retention system is placed well.

only sized S-M and M-L. My head is basically a solid Medium, so if I wear a cap, then I need a M-L, but with no cap I wear a S-M.

Great helmet! I crashed with this on (hard crash, broken collarbone, severe concussion, etc.) and I'm glad that I was wearing a good helmet when I did go down. I broke the helmet in 3 places, it did it's job! I lost 3 hours of memory, so I am very thankful that Rudy Project did a good job in making this helmet safe! I since bought another helmet (my shop wasn't carrying this one at the time) and didn't like it. I'm about to go buy an identical Rudy Project Sterling now just because I like this helmet so much (and hate the current one I have).

Bell Sweep, Louis Garneau Quartz

[Apr 06, 2012]
roadie01

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent fit
Mesh liner keeps insects away from my scalp and provides extra wicking.

The strap joining buckles broke after one week. I tried to contact Rudy Project for replacements, even geting a response that they were being sent. But they never showed.
The fix; stitch the straps together at the appropriate place. I think I'll do this on all my future helmets.

I bought this helmet when I found a "Hot Deal" through Roadbikereview for less than $100. The finish and fit of the Sterling helmet was excellent. I love the internal net to keep stining insects from getting my head. As a person that is alergic this feature is very important.
The ventilation is great and the helmet is very comfortable on long rides. I especially like the buckle and pad system.

[Feb 17, 2012]
Richard Cherry

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit
Comfort
Ease of adjustment
Style
Weight (low)
Visor
Eyewear retainer

None so far.

The Sterling is very nicely designed and made, and good looking.
The fit is perfect for me, in the large size. Venting is excellen.
Haven't yet ridden in hot weather but I can tell it's going to be fine.
The internal net / screen fabric is great - I've had bees get trapped in my helmet against my head.
The strap and buclle adjustment is very good.
I likek the detachable visor thing - one helmet for road or dirt, excellent.
The fabric protection around the buckle is really great - I have a beard and this prevents the pain of hair pull - two thumbs up.
The helmet fits extremely well - don't really feel it but it just feels right.
I've been wearing a Hero2 camera on it, and it takes the extra weight with zero discomfort.
I've had several top o' line helmets from Giro and others, and this Rudy is the most comfortable and just generally sweet.
Like the blue and white color - visible. The first Rudy I saw at a shop was the flourescent green, and that's also a beauty and safety-driving color.
The only helmet I ever crashed my head into the ground with was a Garneau (as far as I remember), and I think it worked to plan - this Rudy looks totally up to the task, in large part because it fits snugly and safely on the ol' cantelope.

[Mar 09, 2011]
Kristatos

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, easy to set up, nice styling and travel/storage bag

Little on the heavy side

Fit: This helmet seems to sit lower on my head than other helmets. The dial adjuster in the back is easy to use, and the fit feels good. The dial adjuster feels like it snugs the helmet around the orbit of my skull, as opposed to other helmets where it feels more like it pinches my skull on the sides. Overall the fit is comfy and I don't have any problems with sweatbands or skull caps underneath. Straps required very little adjustment and the under-chin soft cover was nice.

Function: Vents work the same as similar helmets I've had which is to say they are fine. The mesh underneath is good if you encounter bees or other bugs often in your vents. I don't have any problems with conflict with my Smith or Oakley glasses.

Weight: Feels heavier than some other helmets - not by a lot but it is not the lightest helmet out there. Still, I don't notice it a couple min after putting it on.

Value: I got mine on closeout, at list price it wouldn't be nearly as good a value. For the price I paid it was a deal IMO.

Styling: I got the white with blue details and it looks sharp. It came with a travel bag made from soft material like lens rag which is a nice touch.

Bell, Giro and Briko helmets

[Jan 26, 2010]
NPRjunkie82

OVERALL
Strength:

The retention dial in the back is really easy to use for a good helmet fit, and the helmet shape is really comfortable. Plus, there's the exposed structure that can hold your sunglasses.

It's a little heavier than the Giro Atmos and the Ionos. And it is a little on the pricey side.

Overall, I really enjoy this helmet. The design is pretty slick, easy to adjust, and fits my head really well.

Giro Atmos

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.