Specialized Echelon Helmets

Specialized's Echelon is a minimalist road helmet that's as comfortable as it is cool. You get a perfect fit thanks to Specialized's Headset SL...

[May 30, 2014]
Gary

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong helmet. It saved my life. I was racing in a Masters 55+ race this past weekend. I am Cat 4. With 1.5 laps to go in a 45 minute criterium, another cyclist colided with my bike. We were going about 25 mph. I went over the handlebars landing on the right side top of my head. I hit the ground with incredible force. I never blacked out. I did have a small abrasion on the top of my head. The helmet did not crack. I actually had a CT scan done at the hospital of my head afterwards. No concussion. I'm sold. I will definitely buy another.

For the price, you can't go wrong.

[Nov 24, 2013]
Nigel Dermott

OVERALL
Strength:

The biggest recommendation is that I truly believe this helmet saved my life. I only hit a pothole and went over the handlebars but hit the road head first ... And am still here to tell about it. Of course any serious racer would probably want something more stylish and air streamed or even with goggles but as a commuter/everyday helmet you won't find better for the price. Nice and comfortable and a great snug fit. My old helmet was broken in the accident but guess what? ... I rushed out and got a new one.

As a commuter helmet I would love to see a visor with this helmet to stop my prescription glasses getting wet on the way to work.

Best helmet on the market

[Oct 25, 2013]
woodbutcher

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding adjustment and retention system allows snug fit without feeling like binding on throat or chin. No pressure points even with odd shaped head. I crash tested it and the way it distributed force as the styrafoam compressed and cracked over a much larger area than the point of impact truly shows the outstanding design.

If there is a weakness, I sure don't know what it is. Fit, style, price, comfort, ventilation and protection in a crash are all facets I evaluated, some on purpose, some not so much.

LIFE SAVING! I would give the Echelon 6 stars out of 5 if possible as I truly tested the helmet. Plenty of airflow, an excellent retention system that allows it to fit snugly without feeling tight on one's neck or jaw, plus an adjustment system that allows it to fit virtually all shapes of heads makes it very comfortable and was an easy choice to replace a rather uncomfortable helmet of another brand. My test consisted on landing on my head on asphalt at 19mph. The way the Echelon distributed the point of impact over a much larger area of my head was truly amazing, I'm convinced lifesaving, and indicative of an outstanding design. Although I ended up with a sore neck, some broken bones in my hand and back (from back slamming onto the pavement), shoulder and wrist damage, etc, the severity of these injuries while being spared head and neck injuries, in spite of that being a major point of contact, says it all for the Echelon.

[Mar 14, 2012]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Retention system, interior padding, relatively low profile, durable and economical

A bit heavier than more expensive helmets

Have used the Echelon for year round commuting for the past two years and couldn't have been happier. The fit/ retention system works quite well, and the design of the vents does keep your head cool on a hot day. (If its blisteringly lot, squirt a little water from your H20 bottle through the vents onto your head and you can cool down rather quickly). The adjustment system is great - just push a button on either side of the plastic band at the back of your head and the band slides in or out until it fits snugly on your head. It is also durable, as I tend to adjust it outward to fit over a knit cap on winter mornings when its cold, and then adjust it back in the evenings after it has warmed up. The main reason for my love of this helmet is that it does its job. Last week I took a nasty spill when a pedestrian walked directly in front of me on my morning commute. I must have hit the pavement pretty hard, because there was a big crack in the styrofoam at the front of the helmet. My head didn't have a scratch, thanks to the protection of the Echelon. Will definitely be purchasing another.

[Feb 21, 2012]
melissa k

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort

I would get a lighter helmet for racing.

I thought this was a great helmet for the price, and felt comfortable with the quality I have gotten with the Specialized brand in the past. The helmet was light enough for everyday, casual use and was easy to adjust the fit. I was also happy with the look overall.

[Oct 05, 2011]
Ramon Ortiz

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit and price point.

Weight.

I purchased this helmet as a backup and was pleasantly surprised by the fit and retention system. You can't go wrong with the price.

I own a Giro Aeon and Bell Volt and had quality issues with the Giro and fit problems with the Bell. Go figure.

[Jul 20, 2011]
jeeper006

OVERALL
Strength:

Light- compared to my old helmet.
fit is excellent.
wicks sweat well

cant really find any so far.

I've only had this helmet for a few hundred miles so far, but so far so good. I have a rather large odd shaped head, and my Giro Hex just wasn't cutting it for me. I felt too many pressure points, and the ratchet system was digging into my neck.

However, the echelon seems to be great so far. The retention system almost makes the helmet shell " float" around my head. if you're like me with a short neck, the echelon rear retention system works great and doesn't dig in.

Giro Hex
Bell box brand helmet

[May 22, 2011]
Blackss06

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Ease of fitting
Sweat retention

Weight

For the price, this is a great helmet, a little on the heavy side, my Large clocks in at ~360g on my park scale but in this price range, that's common. Easy to adjust, absorbs sweat excellently. I'll be keeping this for commuting but buying a higher end lighter helmet for training/racing.

Cheaper helmets.

[Nov 07, 2010]
Hask12

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, light. easy to adjust except for the height. Inexpensive for quality.

Manual mentions nothing about height adjustment, and for me this was a make or break adjustment.

I almost returned this helmet until i finally figured out how to adjust the height. The manual does explain it. But look inside the helmet bacause it's listed. The tabs pull out easily but pushing them back in by hand was impossible. I had to use something else to snap them back in. Once height is adjusted everything else was easy. Very comfortable. Kind of an unusual design.

Giro Atmos.

[Jun 28, 2010]
rosborn

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, fit and fit.

None that I have found.

I tried the Bell Array and Lumen and the Giro Stylus and Saros helmets. The fit wasn't good. I shave my head and there were "pressure" points near the rear of my head that became very uncomfortable. I couldn't adjust the irritation away. I gave the Echelon a try and what a difference. The LBS manager, who sells Bell, Giro and Specialized, informed me that Bell and Giro helmets are designed larger in the front and smaller in the back while Specialized helmets are designed in the opposite fashion. Whatever the case, the Specialized worked for me.

Bell Array and Lumen and Giro Stylus and Saros.