Pearl Izumi Zephrr 2 Jackets/Vests

[Oct 13, 2009]
AF.Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Nearly windproof without drenching you in sweat. (Only thing more windproof that I've used is a plastic rain jacket which soaks you in sweat anyway). It is easily packable into a rear jersey pocket, removable sleeves, and it's not bulky! So you don't overheat on the climbs! Has nice front pockets and rear too.

The excessively large sleeves seemed to be designed for a 300lb man, even on the size small.

I bought this jacket used on ebay, it is a size small and yet it fits me very even though I'm 6'2" 176lbs, EXCEPT for the sleeves, which are excessively wide and too short (no issue there - it's not made for someone my height!) But yes, the sleeves are way too baggy and flap in the wind a lot. I'm really not sure why PI designed the sleeves to be this large. My jacket is the Zephrr, with zip off sleeves and a draft flap on the back which helps a lot. I got caught in a downpour today for a few minutes and it kept me dry - it's fairly water resistant. This is one of the top 3 pieces of clothing I've ever bought, and costs 1/10th of what many other fancy cycling jackets cost, and does the job waay better. I may have a tailor alter the sleeves and put some odd leg warmers on the back for a much better fit. I also have the Zephrr vest with mesh back - another incredible essential piece of clothing. You NEED windproof if it's below 60, NOT lots of insulation.

Capoforma, Craft "windproof" jackets,

[Jan 17, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stuffable, long sleeves and drop hem in back. Micro Fleece collar and zipper wind flap.

VENTALATION ... don't think I will buy another jacket without rear vents. No usable pockets.

Good fitting, light jacket. Quality materials and construction. No pockets (very small internal, not sure what you would use it for) and no vents. Zipper wind flap keeps the wind out. Micro fleece collar feels great on cold mornings. Nice long sleeves and drop hem in back. I pulled out 6" or so of under arm seam and hemmed the edges to provide some ventilation. Unnoticeable in the wet but helps a lot when you unzip a little. Still can't wear unless it is under 40* due to lack of venting, maybe higher on a very casual ride. Easy to overheat in.

Would rate a 3 overall due to lack of vents, but upped due to quality construction and other nice touches ... why didn't they put a simple rear vent in??

[Dec 31, 2003]
njAndrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Compressibility, light weight, PI quality

ventilation but what do you expect from a $55 shell. I think the newer version has a vent in the back which make this a jacket for all to have

Good fit, doesn't flap around to much. Great at blocking wind and slight rain. Has a fleece neck guard to pervent rubbing of the zipper. Great compression, fits in jersey pocket.

[Nov 01, 2003]
arsegas

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, blocks winds well, good ventilation, solid construction

I found the Zephyr to be really lightweight, compressible and it blocks wind great without flapping around too much, even at very high speeds.

[Apr 30, 2003]
bikernoj
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, excellent fit, good ventilation, EXTREMELY versatile!

Some of the stitching isn't as clean as I would expect for a jacket of this caliber and price. $110 is a bit much for a cycling jacket if you don't have a gift certificate, and it's also hard to swallow an additional $40 bump from the plain Zephyr jacket just for two zippers!

This is actually a review for the PI Vagabond jacket, which is just a Zephyr 2 with zip-off sleeves & more vents. Contrary to the first review, I have found that the Zephyr fabric breathes pretty well for it's purpose, and MUCH better than the $20 "plastic" jackets. The jacket has longer than average sleeves to keep your wrists covered, and people with long arms like me will really appreciate a jacket that FITS! I haven't had it in a real downpour yet, but it works well to keep you dry when you need it. The back has one large vent flap across the shoulders, and the single chest pocket is mesh lined and does a surprisingly good job of venting front to back when open. There is also a large, single zippered rear pocket for stuffing things (like the sleeves). Another nice feature is that the sleeves zip off to convert to a vest when all you need is light core protection. You can bring ONE shell with you instead of two, and we all know that knocking 100gm off your ride nearly doubles your speed! Also, the sleeves start in the armpits and both zip up the front. So if you want extra ventilation, you can unzip the sleeves partway to let the air in.

"other" wind shells, plastic jackets, Performance vests, Gore-Tex jackets (HOT!)

[Apr 04, 2003]
Joeslow2
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Blocks wind. Folds up well for stuffing in a jersey pocket when not needed.

Storage limited to tiny pocket inside, no vents.

Excellent wind blocking basic shell. The lack of vents causes it to puff up like a sail when opened slightly in front. Like most wind shells it dosent breathe well and I have problems with sweat building up around my lower arms even in freezing weather. It is constructed very well, PI gets top marks for quality of construction. I particularly like the ability to machine wash AND dry with nearly all of their clothes. My wife habitually throws my cycling gear in the dryer and its nice not to have to worry about $$$ eurogear getting ruined. I'm taking 1 point off of value for the moderately high price, and one point from overall for the lack of vents.

Zephyr 2 vest (also excellent).