Carnac Quartz Shoes

[Nov 12, 2012]
Alan Mathews

OVERALL
Strength:

they look superb, they are extremely stiff if you have the correct inserts and install them correctly, they are so comfortable just like slippers. They ooze high quality and they look as good as they feel. The leather is high quality and the range of colours is good. The heel pad grips well when walking and is hard wearing so far. I would not go back to my previous carbon shoes if you rate them for stiffness alone. The four straps are spot on, no pressure points or loose areas. The leather soon conforms to the foot and coupled with the sole insert skeleton they stay a perfect fit after a few hours riding.

you need a PHD in engineering and the patience of a saint when it comes to assembling this mechanical jig saw, none of the screws seem to go in properly but be careful and you will be rewarded. They are not comfortable to start with, but you require even more patience, no wear pad on the toe of the sole, and they are heavy, but we all know that before we buy them. They scratch and scuff easily, so the bag they come in is required, and take them off before you kneel to repair that puncture, or you could tear the toe box to bits.

They need to be good at this price, and they are good, I don't think you would buy them as a super light racing shoe, because they are not light at all, and you need to take care when you wear them, but they are the best when you are riding, and super light shoes are not this comfortable in my experience. So they are good value overall for looks and comfort.

[Jan 16, 2007]
Jay Tegeder

OVERALL
Strength:

Aesthetic value is very high.

Not sure there are any.

Fantastic considering I only paid $10! They're used but I gave them the smell test before I bought. They still have some left left in them. I don't really like having 4 velcro straps per shoe but then again, I paid $10!

Diadora

[Jun 26, 2006]
steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Did I mention they look cool?

Weight. These are heofers for sure, but if they can make a milkshake, who cares.

Well first off, I have to say that these are just eye magnets...certainly a cool looking shoe. Like others, the first thing I noticed about them was the weight. Compared to my Poggios and Hautacams, these Carnacs are boat anchors. At the price, I figured I'd at worst have a winter riding shoe and I'll see how they perform on some of the more demanding rides. First couple rides felt stiff with decent performance, though initial reaction is at the price these are new, I'd like to see a carbon sole like the Nikes give.

[Jul 17, 2005]
sacheson

OVERALL
Strength:

Uhm ... their initial beauty?

Read above.

These shoes have to be the worst cycling product I've ever purchased. I am amazed at the lack of any redeeming qualities for a product that costs this much. They are not very stiff, they definitely aren't durable, the aren't simple, and are not anywhere near light. Now, 14 months after purchasing them, they're in the garbage - why? Because the sole cracked. Here's the timeline of owning these shoes: 2 months after purchasing, the material on the toe boxes started to flake off. 4 months after purchasing, the stupid silver material on the sides started cracking. It fell off a few weeks later, leaving a nice white strip. 6 months into owning them, two of the velcro straps stopped adhering. At 9 months, the neoprene inner bootie started to come unstitched and the adapter plate bolts started backing out. At 14 months, the sole cracked. Ugh. Never again. Back to a carbon soled Shimano.

Sidi, Shimano, Adidas, Specialized, and Diadora.

[Aug 26, 2003]
mallebach

OVERALL
Strength:

Built like a tank. Stiff. Look good.

Weigh as much as a tank. Hold water like a sponge. $$$

These suckers are heavy duty, solid shoes. More support than you usually get and the sole is ultra-stiff. The downside to this sort of constuction is that the shoes weigh a ton. Plus, when it rains they hold an unbelieveable amount of water, pushing the weight even higher (plus they take days to dry out. To everyone having trouble with the leather scuffing: go buy a tube of Shoe-Goo (you will find it at any running shop or shoe repair) and dab some on the affected areas. Problem solved.

Sidi, Look, etc.

[Aug 11, 2003]
dennis

OVERALL
Strength:

Great construction; good heel counter; stiff

Price; sockliner

Good thing I contacted Sinclair Imports about the fit of the Quartz, as I wanted to see how they compared to the Ellipse. I usually take a 45.5 in Carnac, but Sinclair reps told me to go up to a 46, and they were correct. These are not as roomy as the Ellipse in my estimation. The shoe is constructed well, and looks are only so-so, but they are very heavy compared to Sidi and others. They have an improved heel-counter over other Carnac shoes. Not too bad a shoe, but the price is too much! The sock liner has a plastic backing which I took out, as it was terribly uncomfortable....too hard, and it took up more space.

Sidi, Diadora, Nike

[Jul 30, 2003]
maurizio

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, 'strong' shoe with many features not found on any other shoe. Probably will last at least 2-3 seasons of 10K riding.

Long break in period. Boat anchor heavy. Pricy. Since when does a cycling shoe need to cost as much as these?

I replaced my second pair of Carnac LeMonds (pre Legends. same shoe, diff. name) which were a great, great shoe. The Quartz are heavier, and perhaps more rugged. I've read complaints about the leather tearing/scuffing. This is probably due to Carnac's use of Kangaroo leather. I haven't seen a pair that is so scuffed that it altered the performance of the shoe. They just didn't look pretty. All that aside, these shoes really really hurt my feet for at least 4 months of heavy riding. My advice is to buy these at the end of the season to give them plenty of time to break in. A year later, they feel much better at hour 4. The strap system uses a big plastic piece to loop the velcro straps through and this also took many months of riding to get past the pain. I've got team mates that also cut the 4th strap off to eliviate some of that plastic biting. In all, a good, solid, well constructed shoe, but it may be a bit strong for some feet. Allow for many months of break in. I am going to try the DMT carbon after these die.

Carnac LeMond (Legend), Gaerne Podium

[Jun 24, 2003]
Chris Radders

OVERALL
Strength:

- Ultra stiff sole (perhaps too stiff) - Best looking shoe on the market

- After a cpl hunder miles these shoes went from being tight, to being a perfect fit and now they feel massive. - Scuff easily.

I bought these to replace the yellow Carnac Ellipse Exclusives whch I absolutely loved. The Quartz's are the best looking shoe on the market but the fit is rubbish, the fourth strap is pointless and they scuff easily. I'm a size 47 with a wide foot but these are too wide. Just stick with the Sidis; much better.

- Carnac Ellipse Exclusives - Sidi carbon Ergo 1s - Sidi Energy

[Apr 17, 2003]
Axidares

OVERALL
Strength:

Heavy, great force transfer. Comfortable for wide feet(mine)

Scuffs easily; easily recolored with paint pen.

Large toe box and well(!) constructed. Stiff sole allows great transfer of force. Comfortable inner sock. Adjustments made easy via additional arch straps.

None better

[Jul 26, 2002]
JeffreyLynne

OVERALL
Strength:

Immediately noticable power transfer to cranks to due stiffened and reinforced sole.

Does scuff easily, but you are riding a bike, not going out to dinner. 4th strap not necessary and only serves to drive the price up a little.

Wider toe box is more comfortable. Shoes look wider all around but that is due to external carbon straps. Sidi's are built for minute Italians.

Sidi G3