Diadora Ethos Shoes

Breathable Suprell™ synthetic leather upper with two-strap Velcro® closure system. Internal semi-rigid heel cup, Power Bed™ insoles, non-skid heel and toe inserts. Compatible with Look- and SPD®-style pedal systems.

[Feb 04, 2003]
Woj

OVERALL
Strength:

Not many. The only one I can think of is reliability (albeit tremendously uncomfortable reliability)

Fit is awful! Straps don't allow a complete tightening. Heel is very apt to come out. Horrendous cushioningg

These are the worst pair of cycling shoes I have ever bought. I, too, was enticed by a 50% off price tag ($50 total paid), however the fit of these shoes has never been satisfactory. First of all, the velcro straps don't allow you to tighten the shoe firm enough. However, even when snugging my feet in the shoe by wearing thick socks, my feet feel like they will fly out of the shoes at any moment. I've played with multiple whole and 3/4 insoles - nothing works. The other complaint I have is the strange shape of the shoe itself... not just too narrow a shoe, but the arch and curve of the sole seems to be totally improper for the human foot. A NOTE FAR ALL CYCLISTS ON BUYING EQUIPMENT!!! I'm a stubborn rider who - as a youngster - bought cheap and dealt with the consequences with a forgiving body. Now in my mid-30's, my body is now paying me back with the creaks and pains of those poor economic choices. BUY THE BEST POSSIBLE EQUIPMENT YOU CAN, folks, especially if you are just getting into the sport seriously. It will be worth it. There is no way you can know now. Take my word and the word of thousands of older experienced club riders - it's worth it!

Lake, Duegi, Performance

[Apr 23, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive. Decent looks.

Extremely poor fit.

These shoes are killing my feet. I bought them because they seemed reasonably priced and I kept reading about that great "Diadora fit". The two straps absolutely won't tighten down on your feet leaving them loose. And the toe box is very small. Perhaps italians have very pointy feet....? The end result is my toes get crowded but my heal is flopping around in the shoe. No arch support either. They really make riding unpleasant.

Even though these shoes seem like a good deal you should spend a litte more and get some better shoes. They aren't the deal they appear to be.

[Jun 23, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, ventilation, platform

you know, fit.

These were my first road shoes. I bought them for price and price alone (got em at a closeout for $50, 50% off, right?). No problems, really; it's just that, for a long time, I didn't think that road shoes really were supposed to feel good. My toes would get a little numb, but, you know, shake it off. And, if you really clamped down on the straps in mid-ride (the straps didn't seem to allow it before then; there really wasn't a lot of forgiveness anywhere), the toe box would sort of expand or something, and the fit wasn't so bad. It was just good enough not to make you hate it big time but still bad enough to make you wonder.
Then I got the Sidi's. Um, your feet don't have to hurt, did you know that? The Diadora's remain better ventilated, and I can't say I notice any difference in platform as such, but, you know, your bike contacts your body in only a couple of spots, and your feet are definitely one of them. Fit is a personal thing; just remember that it ain't a value if it hurts, and that, with synthetics, the fit doesn't really improve. Maybe another (human?) foot fits just fine, but there is something about the way that the Sidi cradles the heel and leaves lots of toe that makes me think that pretty much anyone would benefit by spending a couple of bucks more.

Sidi Shadow

[Oct 04, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ventilation. Nice, stiff sole, good power transfer.

Crapola velcro straps, not able to tighten them enough.

I have pretty narrow feet, and not too huge - a 9. I had to search high and low to find a 42.5 because the 42 was too small. When long enough, I found I couldn't tighten the velcro straps enough to really secure my feet, especially after breaking in the shoes. I never can forget that the shoes are there, always worrying they're too loose.
I can't see how these shoes are "women specific".

[Aug 11, 2001]

Strength:

didnt fit well at all. then after about 3 months the soles of the shoes fell off. no kidding the back began to fall off and before i knew it i had no sole on the right shoe.

Maybe i got the one bad pair, but to have the soles fall off thats bad craftmanship. go buy some sidi's!!!

Sidi genius 3