DMT Ultimax Carbon Shoes

[Aug 08, 2010]
KevinLutz

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit well and comfortable. Light weight with a good ratcheting system.

The sole separated from the shoe on both shoes after about 1,000 miles of use. The shoes never got wet. Just normal use. Will try to remedy with warranty.

Great fit, comfortable shoe, light and stiff. Fell apart after 3 months of use. Same problem happend to a pair of Nike cycling shoes after 10 years! Never had any problems with my Sidi shoes.

Sidi Genius, Nike

[Jun 09, 2010]
oregonyankee

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good; fit me like a champ! Best shoe I've owned. No problem with buckle; I stopped the tongue slide with a small piece of velcro.,

They don't last forever. I wish more shoe manufacturers would follow Sidi's lead with replaceable heel plates and other components. These are expensive shoes to replace!

I bought these on sale - lucky find in my book. I suffer from "hot foot" - pain in the ball of my right foot when the temp goes over 75F or the climb is endless. DMT Ultimax is the ONLY pair of shoes that seem to mitigate if not end the problem. And I have tried Sidis Max, Shimano semi-custom fit, and others.

[Mar 24, 2008]
JJ

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff and good looking.

Finish not as good as Sidi. Poorly designed tongue floats around no matter how much I tighten the shoe and what sock I wear. Never found balance between comfort and tightness. No arch support.

Very good looking when new with a stiff and light carbon sole. They've worn well, although the sole scratches very easily and cracks have appeared in the silver color of the uppers. Also, after about 8000 miles of use the velcro has pealed off the back of the strap.

Sidi, Shimano

[May 02, 2007]
lg

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness (sole). Lightweight. Simple design.

Price. Tightening system is not well designed: straps hurt. Really does not fit all feet shapes...

Well I'm not really satisfied with these shoes. I bought it because I found it at $90, a third of the usual retail price. But I just can't figure out how cycling shoes can cost $250 ?!?! It is just possible?!?!

The sole is very thin and rigid and I wasn't disturbed by the flat shape (I used to ride carved shoes for years): one good point.

But I quickly faced a problem with the straps: It's hard to tighten the feets without hurting. Just can't find the righ compromise.... I feel like the tighening system is not well designed( like Sidi's ones), there is a deffect there. This just doesn't work. The "tongue" isn't large enough, too: it is useless in this way! I never saw this problem with any cycling shoes before. I wonder if the designer is a cyclist...

To conclude, I am a bit disappointed.... It could have been just perfect with better straps and upper "tongue". What would I think if I paid it 230 or 250$? For this price I don't want to choose between performance and comfort.

Sidi, Diadora, Duegi...

[Dec 22, 2005]
velopan

OVERALL
Strength:

stiffness; lightweight; durable; chris horner rides them.

hard buckles strap creates redness on instep; doesn't hurt though. velcro detaches from strap and strap stretches over time.

Great shoe overall. Very stiff sole. fit my feet somewhat better than Sidis (I have slightly wider than average, but not flintstones). Took a few hundred miles to break in the upper; tongue floated around until they broke it.

SIDI Genius; just bought a pair of the DMT Flash.

[Jul 17, 2005]
anne

OVERALL
Strength:

Great overall fit, lightweight, no adapter plates required since they are drilled for Look, nice material, white is a nice color and stiff carbon sole.

I just tried on the DMT RSX Ultimax, DMT Flash and Carnac Hellium. The DMT RSX Ultimax was the best fit for my feet as they formed my feet very well with no heel slip when I walk and the buckle was a nice addition for fit. The DMT Flash is a very nice show too, but it was a little sloppy in the toe box and seem to have to much height in the toe box. The DMT Flash was a little lighter, but not by much. I loved the Carnac Hellium shoe with the only exception of my heel feeling like it was pulling out when I walk which I would think would be a problem when riding/climbing etc.? I wear a 45 and have more of a narrower foot. Looks like I'll be buying the DMT RSX Ultimax!

Time. Not sure of the model, but the yellow and red ones. I had these for over 7 years and well worth the investment. Only negitive is the stack height and heavier weight then current shoes out there today.

[Jul 15, 2005]
ls123

OVERALL
Strength:

Most of what I read about DMT shoes was positive, but I could only find tests for the Flash at Cycling news and Pez.

Don't know, because I put them back into their box until I find out if DMT makes shoes in Italy.

Bought a 2005 pair of DMT Flash shoes. Mine say " MADE IN BOSNIA"! Doe's DMT make any shoes in Italy?

30,000 miles on the the latest Carnac's availible.

[Feb 09, 2005]
Fluffy

OVERALL
Strength:

Fits my feet, looks cool, lightweight, I like the stiff sole when racing.

I don't like the stiff sole for training. Upper gets scuffed easily. Price.

I have wide feet and have difficulty finding a shoe that fits. I use them with DA spd sl pedals. Wish I had bought the 2005 white/red version instead of the blue/silver. Have just bought the new red and white DMT Flash. Feels more comfortable, but haven't really had the change to testride them.

Sidi, Northwave, Shimano

[Nov 09, 2004]
slambooy

OVERALL
Strength:

see above

see above

excellent shoe; light, rigid, good fit, easily adjustable. Excellent combination with dura ace pedal system, but not with Time. Stackheight with Time is ridiculous and adapter plate looks like something out of my son's lego box.

carnac quartz (heavy/more comfortable/not as rigid or durable/bigger stackheight with any system due to much thicker sole.

[Feb 29, 2004]
San Antonio ascent

OVERALL
Strength:

excellent stiffness in sole, excellent styling

can be hard to find at your local dealer.

I bought the 2004 ultimax rsx carbon sole. This shoe is amazing, I came off of some duegis which I liked but the stiffness of this sole is really amazing. It made a noticeable improvement in climbing and sprinting and they are very comfortable, they also appear to be really well built. I got the pearl white ones which look really nice.

duegi, sidi, specialized, shimano