Gaerne Eskimo Shoes

Completely waterproof, it has a water repellent outer covering and neoprene material. Double Closure System zipper on the front and inside fasteners. It is provided with Reflex material. Inside on the ankle area there is an inner liner with the ecological PLASMATERIAL treatment that guarantees breathability, moisture vapour transmission, drying speed and hygiene, while the feet are wrapped in a soft inner liner of THINSULATE a very light-weight thermal insulation for maximum comfort, keeps feet warm in damp or wet conditions.

[Oct 25, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Mostly waterproof
Accepts toe spikes
Durable

Not as warm as you'd think

These are comfortable (for my narrow feet, at least), fairly waterproof, and warmer than my other bike shoes. However, my feet get cold after 30 minutes on rides below freezing, or wet rides below 40 degrees. Adding a pair of toe warmers has kept me comfortable down to 10 degrees for hours, but there's not much room for warmers in the toe box. Also, these aren't *completely* waterproof, but applying sno-seal or something similar can easily fix this. I honestly can't see why anyone would buy the road version of this shoe.

Hiking boots, plastic bags

[Mar 06, 2008]
Fatboy1963

OVERALL
Strength:

They work! They keep your feet warm in the cold and dry in the wet.

I have doubts that they can handle temperatures much below 25F/-3C for extended periods of time.

Bought these boots in desperation after miserable attempts to make multiple layers of socks and various booties work. What a relief! They are Italian, so the initial fit is a bit tight, but there's a little give in them and after a couple of rides they fit perfectly. I bought my normal shoe size and wear them with a pair of "normal" cycling socks and sealskins without difficulty. There is still room for a thicker pair of thermal type socks and I will try that when I get round to buying a pair. They are wonderful cold weather boots but not superhuman in their abilities. With my present set up I can ride them all day at 32F/0C but at 25F/-3C my feet start to get chilly at the two hour mark and are pretty uncomfortable by three: not a problem for me as it's very unlikely I would ride more than three hours at that temperature. Where they surprised me though was in wet weather: they've kept my feet bone dry in some dreadfully wet conditions. All in all, I'm delighted with them. If you're a masochistic Minnesotan or live in Scandinavia and insist in riding routinely in 20F/-5C weather, I'd think twice about purchasing them but otherwise I recommend them wholeheartedly.

None. I will never use booties again!

[Apr 06, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Completely waterproof
Warm
Very comfortable
Price

Look a little "Italian", but I actually like that, it's different.

These shoes are great. It takes a little bit of time to get used to how these shoes lace up, and how tight to make them, but once you get an idea of how tight is tight enough, they are so comfortable. There are no hot spots, don't make my feet go to sleep, etc. I don't think about my feet when I wear these, and regardless of the weather, my feet are warm and dry. I have commuted all winter in these shoes, and now I've bought some Gaerne summer shoes, cause I can't go back to my Shimano's after wearing these.

Booties and summer shoes. No comparison.