Lake CX 100 Road Shoes

[Apr 15, 2006]
Brent

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, good looks if you like retro.

Caused so much pain in my foot they were unusable for me.

I liked the fact that they were old school lace up shoes under the straps and they don't look half bad and are cheap. Unfortunately they hurt my left foot so bad that I really can't ride in them. This is probably more to do with the shape of my foot but it made these shoes unusable for me.

I've had good luck with Shimano and Specialized shoes in the past.

[Apr 18, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

got mine cheap looked pretty good. Fit lots all major cleats

OUCH trying to ride in these shoes caused me to virtually quit riding last season.

Bought these from a LBS that had some closeout stuff from a factory liquidation. My old SPD pedals looked like crap so I got some SPDRs and then needed shoes, I couldn't pass these up. Tag said 46 which is what I have been wearing for a long time and what street shoes I also wear. Put them on and thought they were too tight but they didn't have any thing bigger. Got cleats set up over the course of several rides where my knees would quit hurting but never could get them comfortable. I finally got mad and gave them to a friend who wore size ten shoes, they fit him perfect, so these were either mis labeled or Lake shoes are way small. I wish I would have measured them. Other problems I had was the strap would continually hit my crank arms, and that is annoying. As far as stiffness they didn't seem to be that stiff and were comparable to all the other cheapo shoes I've worn.

Specialized

[Jun 24, 2003]
panoz2001

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, overall good comfort.

Lace up, not quite stiffe as higher end shoes, pain to get on or off.

I had these look peadals that came with the last bike I purchased but never used them untill I broke a spdr. So looking for a cheep shoe to try the looks I found the cx100's on nashbar.com. It was un clear to me that they were lace up shoes, so I was suprised when I got them. Truth is they are a pain to put on or take off compaired to strap only shoes, but once on are supprisingly comfortable. However I must agree with the above review that they do not have the stiffest soles around. But for the price... I can't imagine they could be beat. In fact I tend to use these more than a newer much more pricy pair I got.

Shimano, Pearl izumi, Time

[Sep 23, 2002]
caffiene

OVERALL
Strength:

Chea...uhhh inexpensive, light, comfortable, fit my wide forefoot well and work with my pedals. Good enough for now.

Definitely not carbon fiber rigidity. Lace/strap fit is a pain so I cut off the weakish strap and now have a pair of retro-lace ups.

Somehow I can always justify spending big bucks on the bike but not on the actual items that connect me to it. I'd love a pair of spiffy s'pensive shimanos or sidis but 50 bucks was hard to pass up. I use keywin pedals and with a little finagling was able to make them work. Not super stiff or super anything really but much lighter and breathable than others I've had.

Ancient pair of avocets