Nike Gabuche Due Shoes

Anti-microbial Poliyou sock liner, three-strap hook-and-loop closure. Ultra rigid nylon and glass-fill outsole, with forefoot air vents and non-slip toe and heel inserts. 360° reflectivity. SPD®- and Look-compatible.

[Jan 26, 2004]
Martystan

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, the mrp is around 120us$, I picked them up for around 3000 baht which is around 80 US$. Simple yet, practical, stylish design and very comfortable. They also dry-out a lot quicker than other bike-shoes due to their mesh-uppers. Cool in the tropical heat of Thailand...especially on long hill-climbs.

None as of yet, I did get a blister or two when 'breaking them in' but nothing since then.

The model shoes for this review are the Nike Altea since there's no category I've placed the review here. Overall a very stiff, very lightweight, comfortable shoe ideal for training racing etc..with the carbon sole and soft uppers, this shoe delivers both practicality and comfort at a reasonable cost.

Sidi, Shimano, both very good shoes as well...but heavy and take ages to dry out.

[May 16, 2003]
Brian

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice Looking

Very uncomfortable. I wear a size 42.5 and can not get the shoe to feel well, Front lap will dig into foot when tightening up the latch

I wouldn't buy them again. I didn't notice until a few long rides (20 plus miles)later how painful they were and having hot spots. I kept hoping there was a break in period, it hasn't happened yet and it's not going to.

Sidi Genesis 3

[Aug 02, 2002]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Not too bad on hour rides.

Painful under the balls of my feet and have a hot spot on the longer rides too.

I wouldn't buy them again. I didn't notice until a few long rides later how painful they were and they have a hot spot. I kept hoping there was a break in period, it hasn't happened yet and it's not going to.

Shimano, Lake

[Jun 26, 2001]
Isaac

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit great.

Not many in stock

They are a bargain at REI-Outlet.com
I didn't believe what they said about the size being too small. I normally wear size 9 shoes, I ordered a size 9.
I've been through 4 shoes previously over many years.
Summary: These are THE MOST COMFORTABLE cycling shoes I have EVER owned. I only wish I bought more of these before they go out of stock!!!
These are not heavy at all compared to my other shoes. They have a very conservative look. 3 straps are easy to use and put on.
Did I mention they are REALLY COMFORTABLE?

Diadora Euro Pro, Shimano, 2 previous pairs of Nike

[Jul 21, 2001]
Tan C H

OVERALL
Strength:

Soft, comfy and nice fit. The price is still okay.

Err... haven't figured that out till date. Maybe need to clean it as it picks up dirt after a while due to the soft but lovely leather.

Buy if you love a pair of comfy shoes. Performance won't beat the top boys but a solid pair of shoes you cannot miss.

Sidi Shadow.

[Jan 31, 2001]
Terry Keenan

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable shoes. Nice soft leather with personally a great fit for my foot. They are light, and the sole is okay stiff. Also, can't beat the price.

That nice soft leather eventually stretches. After 6 months of riding, the straps will loosen up during a race. A little annoying. And although I didn't crash this year, I can't imagine them holding up very well in that event.

Good buy and a comfortable shoe. I just wish that NIke would make the leather a little tougher, have some kevlar-reinforced straps. Even with the downfalls, I liked'em due to the fit.

Carnac Legend, Ellipse

[Feb 07, 2001]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Great price/value, relatively light, very stiff, very comfortable - look good in the gray color - I did not have a problem with the sizing (I tried the black models at the Cary REI store and felt safe with the 9 1/2's I bought through the internet sales) I intend to use them on all types of rides.

Wish they were a tad lighter (maybe 500 to 600 grams.) These weigh in at 749 grams.

REI's Standard Shipping was extremely fast. Top notch quality and service - they always have. Good solid bike shop in the Cary, NC REI store - excellent, knowledgable sales people. If I cannot make it over to Performance in Chapel Hill/Carrboro - I always check with REI locally along with other superb shops like Cycling Spoken Here, Spin Cycle, and All-Star.

Look PP66 - slightly lighter than the Nikes with 2 straps - have used them for 6 years - no problems. Almost bought Diadora Cosmos for $100.

[May 11, 2000]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, cheap, relatively secure, SPD & Look compatible, airy.

The 1998 model is an unattractive grey color (but the 1999 model is a cool black); not as secure as buckled shoes.

This is a good value for a road shoe. It's very functional and relatively comfortable for training and racing. It gets uncomfortable after more than 3 hours, but then everything gets uncomfortable after 3 hours.

Sidi Dominator 2 (ATB shoe); Nike Yuha; Nike Pedali Combo; Nike Poo-Bah

[Jul 06, 2000]
Kevin Grady

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff sole, dual straps actually work

Stiff sole! Footbed to flat and not removable/replaceable. Sizing is terrible and front toebox to narrow

This is also a review of the Grey/Red '98 model, because there are still alot of these out there on sale. I have no agenda with Nike, and I purchase alot of their products, but these shoes awful. The sizing seems off by almost a whole size, the toebox is way to narrow (and it is almost impossible to widen it) and the best feature - stiff soles are to flat and the footbeds not removable. Agree with author, above, you cannot ride these shoes very long without getting toes cramped or numb or both. They are a bargain at our local Performance shop, about $40, but unless it is an unbelievable fit for you, do not buy them.

Sidi, Northwave, Shimamo

[Dec 05, 2000]
Don Lu

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit MY feet great
Light weight
Stiff sole
Looks retrogrouch-ish (if you're into that kinda thing)
Triple straps work--so far
Got it for cheap!

The SPD bolt plate is loose inside the sole and rattles if you shake the shoe
Looks goofy with the white toe tip, as if Nike tried to make it look like one of their BB shoes
Narrow toe box
Sizing is WAAAAY off--about one size smaller than listed

I've read the other reviews. But for me, these shoes fit great. Went on a 3 hour ride a couple days ago in 25 degree weather and my toes cold but not numb. No hotspots, pinching, slipping, or anything negative while riding. The shoe feels plenty stiff for climbing and sprinting.

I never noticed the rattling unless I was going over tracks or rough, rough road. I guess I could silicone or glue the cleats at some point.

I only wonder about the durability of the nubuck-type of upper/strap material. The straps aren't reinforced with non-stretching fibers so I wonder if they will stretch over time like my Time shoes' straps. The heel cup is plain nubuck also, so a few crashes and those might get pretty torn up. My Specializeds were nice in that the bottom half of the shoe is hard plastic which resists abrasion from concrete quite well, as I found out a few too many times last season.

If these shoes fit, you can't beat the deal from REI-Outlet. Free shipping till Dec. 15, 2000 and you can return them no problem.

Specialized Team Road--'99
Carnac TRS-1 triathlon
Time Carbon (don't remember exact model)
Sidi Dominator (mtb--must be a '93 or '94 model--way old but still works great)