Nike LANCE Shoes

• Integrated heel cup, strap and buckle insure every movement goes directly to the pedal
  • TPU ratchet buckle for an adjust on-the-fly fit
  • Lightweight KNG100 synthetic leather reduces stretching and water absorbtion while maintaining durability

[May 31, 2007]
Greg Dunn

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, wratchet closure

None yet

I purchaced the Yellow Lance Special Edition which is the same shoe but in yellow. You find me a pair of cycling shoes in general that are completely comfortable and I'll buy them. These are just fine by me. Some people have written reviews blasting these shoes. For those people, don't worry. Trek and Nike have parted ways and Nike is discontinuing their cycling line altogether (this come from a Nike employee who knows). So buy all the collector items while you can!!!

[May 19, 2007]
Veronikafan

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, well made shoe

ratcheting heavy plastic strap is uncomfortable

I bought these shoes to replace my old Nike Altea road shoes which are wearing out. The Lance shoe is well made and stiff, but the problem that I had with them is the design of the plastic retention strap on the upper which comes over the top of the instep and cinches tight with a retention buckle. The edge of the plastic strap, when tightened, dug into the instep of my foot so painfully that I could not wear them. I went back to my Altea shoes which have soft, padded uppers, and easy-to-ajdust velcro straps all around. I realize that what works for one person may not necessarily work for someone else. So, I will stick to the triple velcro strap arrangement on other Nike shoes that I buy. The Poggio III and IV and Altea II still include that design, and are lighter than the Lance shoe as well.

Nike Altea, Shimano road shoes

[Mar 23, 2007]
DURACE99

OVERALL
Strength:

GREAT LEATHER AND PLASTIC FOR MY DOG TO CHEW ON

MY DOG EVEN SAYS THEY SUCK!!!

WHAT A JOKE OF A SHOE, I CANT BELIVE I WORE THEM FOR 6MONTHS. THEY ARE UNCOMFORTABLE, MUSHY AS HELL, FELL LIKE STRAIGHT JUNK. WENT BACK TO MY SPECIALIZED BG PROS, AND IM BACK TO THE FRONT OF THE PACK! I HIGHLY , HIGHLY DOUBT LANCE WORE THESE.

SPECIALIZED BG PRO

[Jan 05, 2007]
z ken

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff
great design
beautiful color
bling factor

just like any new shoes, it'll take couple rides of getting use to.
pricey but bling factor is worth the cash

since i'll never ride like lance but atleast i can look like him. the shoes look real sweet and stiff. the design look much more modern and color contraction also well design. the " swosh " logo get the bling factor.

shimano 247

[May 05, 2006]
cyclistvcancer

OVERALL
Strength:

Inredible stiffness, VERY LIGHT!!!! Great looks.

Price- I got them on ebay, but I had to watch for my size (45 euro) for about 4 months.

Great shoes! I had worn Shimano R215 for about 8 months, wanted something a little different. I finally bought the Lance shoes from and ebay store, new in the box. These shoes offer un-surpassed stiffness and excellent comfort if you have the right feet for them. My feet are fairly narrow, so I would guess that would apply to the shoes also. I have them teamed up with the Dura Ace 7800 pedals. They fit the shoes like a glove.

Shimano R151, R215- I like 'em nice.

[Jan 12, 2006]
Barricade

OVERALL
Strength:

Design and stiffness.

Fit and comfort.

I bought these shoes because I thought they looked great.....However, they are the most uncomfortable shoes I have ever had. I have a high arch and the upper straps are not designed properly to come all the way across the opening. The straps put tremendous pressure on my upper foot and the adjustment mechanism does not allow for small adjustments.

Northwave Aerators

[Oct 07, 2005]
papafrog

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable after you break them in. Look great. Stiff sole for more power.

Uncomfortable at first, need time to break them in. Expensive.

At first this shoe is quite uncomfortable. It took atleast a month and maybe over 1,000 miles before I was able to really break them in. Once broken in though I absolutely love these shoes. They are now just as comfortable if not more comfortable then any shoe I've ridden before. I switched from the Sidi Genius 4 mainly because I wanted a stiffer sole and these shoes are much stiffer. That also takes a bit of getting used to but the result is more power directly into the pedal. If you can get through the initial "breaking in" period, then I would highly recommend this shoe.

Sidi Genius 4

[Jul 17, 2005]
investr7

OVERALL
Strength:

LOOKS

UNCOMFORTABLE, CHEAP RATCHET, CHEAP MATERIAL

I AM SCARED TO DEATH. THESE SHOES ARE HORRIBLY UNCOMFORTABLE, AND I AM GOING TO BE STUCK WITH THEM B/C I HAVE WORN THEM TWICE. I HAD SIDI GENIUS BEFORE, AND I GOT HUNG UP ON THE LOOK OF THESE LANCES. OH YEAH, THESE "ITALIAN MADE" NIKES HAVE MADE IN CHINA ON THE BOX AND IN THE SHOE. NICE!! OH WELL, LESSON LEARNED.

SIDI GENIUS, BUT NOT SIMILAR-SUPERIOR

[Sep 16, 2004]
Edster

OVERALL
Strength:

Well constructed Good heel cup retention

As other user stated, buckle mechanism does not have a good adjustment while riding. Also product distribution and ordering of this shoe took almost a month. I had to order this shoe since the LBS Trek store did not have my size (41). They first told me that it would take a week for delivery and that it would be coming from a wherehouse in Northern California. After two weeks, the LBS then tells me that it has to be ordered from Wisconsin (Trek?) After another week and half I inform store manager to phone rep to see why it is taking so long. LBS manager talks to rep and shoes are shipped and I receive within three days.

Purchased in July during "yellow tag" sale at Trek Store in San Diego. Received additional credit when I returned a jersey that I had received for my birthday. The Lance shoe is very solid and construction and fit are very good. After my Sidi's wore out, I had been riding on the Nike Poggios (older model), which had poor heel retention and wore out too fast. Roomy toe box compared to Sidi.

Nike Poggios Sidi Genius

[Sep 09, 2004]
Allan

OVERALL
Strength:

Great strong carbon sole design with rivits to secure the front and rear portions for added security.A well made and sturdy shoe for all types of riding especially sprints and hills.

Buckle design has no way to partially release its tension on strap, once you lift the fitting the stap comes completely undone.The pads on the sole for grip while walking are a little on the small side and non replaceable.These shoes take a while to break in as well because the uppers are stiff so you have to be patient, as the miles wear on they get more comfortable.

A very well made Italian shoe that Lance had some say in designing, notably a wider toe box and higher instep clearance compared to previous Nike models. I liked these shoes because they FIT my feet period, black socks were my choice long ago.

Shimano R215 road shoes