Nike Poggio II Shoes

Get pro peloton pedaling efficiency with the Nike Poggio II! The lightweight, supportive Poggio II features carbon-composite soles for Lance-like power transfer when you're storming up your favorite climbs.

[Jul 18, 2009]
Bob Manipis

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and looks cool. Transfer power to the pedals.

Not made for wide feet people and a bit snug. If I had a chance to buy these again, I would buy 1/2 size up.

I very stiff shoe that is very light. It really does a good job of transferring power to the pedals. The only drawback that I can tell so far is that they are a bit snug so if you buy this shoe I would buy 1/2 size up. I can't complain too much for the price I paid.

Diadora and Pearl Izumi.

[Jun 03, 2009]
Eat_Sleep_Ride

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight and sole stiffness

The outer materials is too thin; scrapes away too easily. The tongue of the shoe is held on my a very small piece of material; take care when putting on.

As advertised these shoes are very light. However, that may also be their downfall. The outer layer of material is not designed for the rigors of road racing or training. By my estimate the material that Nike used is a few grades thicker than tyvek (read: very thin). A few scrapes or rubs again the crank or pavement and you've already got some gaping holes. The sole seems to be very stiff and they do fit comfortably though.

Sidi Genius 5
Sidi Zeta
Lake 330C

[Feb 18, 2008]
Wojo

OVERALL
Strength:

STIFFEST sole you'll find
Great Ventillation
Comfortable shoe with great velcro straps
Fantastic TRIATHLON shoe - quick in in T1 and easy out in T2

Sole delaminated from shoe after four demanding seasons (repaired and still wearing them)

Really nice shoe - the best shoe I've ever owned. I can imagine a better shoe, but I haven't found it yet. The Nike Poggio's strengths is its STIFFNESS and decent COMFORT. Trust me, once you go to a carbon sole, you will never go back. The three velcro straps will loosen up slightly on a long ride, but just tighten them up before the sprint (just like the pros do). These shoes are also excellent for quick exit and entry during TRIATHLONS either on the bike, or off. Now... in the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that after four seasons of hard racing, my right carbon sole did rip off during a sprint last season. With all I've been through with these shoes, I forgave them, epoxied the sole back to the shoe, and continue to race on them to this day. Bottom line... if you can get a deal on these shoes, buy them after making sure the sizing is good.

Lake, Duegi, Performance, Diadora Ethos (horrible!)

[Feb 16, 2007]
Ernesto

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight - 521g on my digital scale
Keeps your feet cool
Stiff, carbon sole

Must be carful when putting your foot down at an intersection because the heel stub is carbon fiber which is not as grippy as rubber.

This review is for the Poggio III version. Fits me well but people with wider feet might have issues. It's lightweight and keeps your feet cool. The only issue I have is that that the heel stub is also carbon fiber so it's more slippery and not as durable than if it was rubber. Definitely not made for walking in, even with cleat covers because the heel stub does get chewed up. I'm guessing this is a race specific road shoe and made for being on the bike, not off it. If you're priority is a lightweight, riding specific shoe you won't go wrong with these.

[Jan 25, 2007]
TickleMyOlmo

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light, good looking, ought to be a racer, climber's, or weight-weenie's dream shoe. Not a bad price, especially if you can find them on sale (or buy themn from someone like me who's dumping their own pair for nothing just to get the memory of the pain they caused out of the house.)

I'd rather walk on broken glass than try to ride in these shoes again. But, hey, it's a personal thing. They might fit you fine.

Reviewing Poggio 4 (not the Poggio 2) These shoes killed my feet, and I had to get rid of them. Shoes are TOTALLY personal, but definately try a pair on, and leave them on for a long time before commiting to buying. I purchased a pair of Poggio 4's on sale in Summer '06 and hoped that these beautiful, shiny black, ultra-light babies would finally replace my 5 year old Sidi's. These shoes wanted me to love them -- they're super-light, full carbon soles, velcro-only (no ratchets). But the trouble started within my first 10 miles. I have a high arch and usually use an orthotic insert, and forgot to bring the arch support on my first ride with these shoes. I planned to ascend the North Cascades Highway in Washington, but was in agony by the end of my 60+mile ride. The shoes had hot spots, cramped my feet, and reminded me of Steve Martin's "Cruel Shoes" comedy routine from years ago. Even with my arch support, the shoes didn't fit well, so I sold them. Like I said, there's a lot to like about this shoe, but if a shoe doesn't fit all the features & benefits in the world will not benefit YOU! Thus, for someone out there who these shoes fit, you might give them a 5 star value rating and 5 stars overall. Since I had to get rid of mine, well, you can see how many stars I can't give them!

Sidi Genius 5 -- God, these shoes are great! Every ride, no problem. I have a pair of carbon-soled Shimano shoes which I've had no problem with either.

[Oct 19, 2006]
lazurm

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, cool, good looking, stiff, no hot spots, durable.

Made to fit "D" widths or so, make sure you realize this.

I sought out these shoes because they are reputed to be the lightest weight road shoes below custom made. At the time of purchase Nike went to Poggio 3 so I was lucky getting the earlier model at half price.
After trying on many other shoes I found these to be, by far, the most comfortable out of the box, an important criteria. I liked the simple and accurate velcro straps.
The shoes are still going strong, though I'll have to get a new heel protector. Light as can be, cool to the point that they need insulation when the temp. goes down, attractive looking, stiff with no hot spots,... I've worn'm all day, many times, and no problems. I'm sticking with these and may buy 2 more just to be sure I have them for a long time.

[May 06, 2006]
Norman

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, comfortable

Hot. Don't buy black.

These shoes are light, stiff, comfortable. . .and hot. I have normal width feet and they are very comfy, with good room in the toe box. I've only done a couple of rides, in temperatures about 20-22 C, and I've found them to be a bit warm even at that temperature, especially in the sun. I'm not looking forward to a sunny day at 25C+. I bought them in black, which probably makes the heat worse in the sun. I like them well enough that I've ordered a pair for my wife -- in silver.

[May 06, 2006]
Norman

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, comfortable

Hot. Don't buy black.

[Aug 11, 2005]
RoadieRob

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, sharp looking, all pedal cleats fit

Narrow, otherwise not too bad.

Narrow feet - NO WAY! I have had three other pairs of Nike's before attempting this pair and while their fit was better, I think Nike's are being made more narrow than ever before. After 1 45 mile ride, my left foot was in so much pain it felt like a stress fracture on my small toe (I have done this before and the pain was eerily similar). Big feet look elsewhere! I have Shimano R151-E shoes which are rare and for wider toe boxes - best fit ever!!!!

Shimano R150, R214, and R151, Northwave Artic Winter, Adidas Frosco, Lake

[Jul 05, 2004]
mr_paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Great comfort and stiffness. Quick on and off.

Colors are a little flashy...

Fantastic shoe. I have been on about 8 rides in the 3 weeks I have owned the shoes. I have normal width feet, but heels are narrow. This shoe fits my foot perfectly and the comfort is outstanding. Stiffness is superb and comfort is amazing when you really jump on it. The other benefit of the shoe is that the velcro straps make quick on and off a snap for triathlons.