Pearl Izumi Octane SL Shoes

• Low plate stack height of 7.5mm maximizes power output
  • Synthetic Heel lining for maximum heel hold
  • Direct Vent technology allows for superior breathability
  • One piece upper designed to minimize weight
  • Three Velcro straps for ultimate adjustability

[Jul 14, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Top of the line weight. Strong soles.

Shoe flex. Comfort. Will they last?

Extremely light weight. Almost feel like slippers on your feet. I'm using these in combo with Look Keo's. First impression when you put these on is "holy [email protected] these things aren't going to hold up". To achieve the weight they obviously have very lightweight materials. However, the shoe does perform well on the road and I believe this is due to the strong carbon fiber soles. Did I mention that I saved over a pound from my last shoes! Yes, over 453 grams! With weight an obvious advantage, how does it perform? Overall the shoe is excellent. It will be ideal for weight minded riders who don't mash the pedals for 5 hours. While the sole does not reveal much flex and the power transfer feels substantial, I do notice flex in the sidewalls and upper when put under the strain of an uphill climb. A competitive (BB,A) cyclist would be discouraged. As for fit the shoe is true to form. I wear a 12 US and ride these shoes in a 47. Heel slip is non-existent, but I do experience foot fatigue after about 3 hours. Another nice feature is the air vents that provide relief during descents.