Pearl Izumi Vaper Shoes

[May 24, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable,stiff,good looks

weak velcro

I got the red ones with the yellow flames.Fit was good and stayed comfortable even after multiple hours in the saddle.I had no problems with the tongue unless i rushed putting them on.The problem was that the velcro straps wore out very quickly to the point where i would have to readjust them every 15 minutes or so.Took them back to the P.I.outlet store and they said that they had a bad run of velcro and would replace them no questions asked or if i wanted an upgrade i would have to pay only the difference.I went for the vipers,light blue w/dark blue flames and the dial type retention system.Those seemed to fit a little bigger for the same size but had a neoprene sock type padded tongue that was way more comfortable. The dial does put a pressure point on the outer edge of my feet and i will probably be heading back to the P.I. outlet to see about my options.Pearl izumi stand behind their products and have replaced both gloves and shoes that were well used but had problems of some sort, Aside from wear and tear.
, so i feel i have always gotten my money's worth.

Various performance and specialized and shimano shoes

[Sep 08, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely light, simple 3 strap closure, super comfortable for wide flippers like mine (one-piece 'wrap around' uppers ... remember the 'bunny slipper' adds ... they weren't lying), VERY cool and breathable (my sweaty feet stay very dry!), incredibly stiff carbon-fibre sole for unbeleivable power transfer ... plus ... I think they look pretty cool (mine are brilliant blue fading into black) Bonus: The rubber toe bumpers (within a month, the toes on my Lucks were pretty trashed from flipping my pedal over to clip in ... not with these!)

Racers might find the all 'mesh' upper too compliant IE: not as stiff as a leather/plastic 2 buckle plus ratchet system) But unless you're contesting finish lines from 200 meters out ... I think they'd do fine. No longer available!

I really can't say enough good things about these shoes! When the sole of one of my crusty, stinky, 3 year-old John Lucks (good shoes, too!) finally split in half, I was in the market. I happened upon these 2003 Vapers this summer in a 'sale' pile at a LBS. I remember admiring them in magazines and reading good reviews ... and here they were ... in my size! (They were on clearance because they're an 03 model ... ridiculously cheap for carbon-fibre) I tried them on and was immediately impressed with the comfort, good fit (I have wide, hard-to-fit feet) and extremely light weight. Now that I've ridden 'em for a few months, I love 'em even more and would buy another pair, just to keep in my closet for when these wear out. Unfortunately, this was the only pair in my size 44. By far, the best shoes I've ever owned. (I have had none of the comfort or durability issues expereinced by other riders.) I wonder why Pearl discontinued this model.

Sidi, Specialized, Luck

[Jul 21, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort is unsurpassed...fit is perfect with custom orthotics...transfer of power is amazing (i'm 6'2", 240lbs; size 47)

glue, but i care more about performance than cosmetics...

after wearing out more sidi's and carnacs than i can remember, i bought these shoes and fell in love...i now have over 4000 miles on them...yes, the plastic cover came unglued in the 1st 500 miles, but it doesn't affect the performance of the shoe at all...the sole has now started to separate at the heel, so i surfed the net and found a pair of '03 vapers that just arrived today...so happy to know i have another 4000 miles of bliss ahead of me! hope i can find more pairs out there in my size...

carnac diagonals (which i like); sidi genius 4 mega (bought last year, wore them for the first time in a century, had knee pain for the first time in my life after 50 miles, bill peterson showed me how sidi uses the same narrow last on their 'megas' which causes the foot to overflow the sole and causes the pain...won't buy sidis again)

[Jul 11, 2005]
Hillary

OVERALL
Strength:

Um, ventilation? An excellent doggie chew toy (just kidding-that would not be very nice for your dog).

QUALITY!! GLUE!!! Weight. Fit. Value. See the review!

I bought these shoes on clearance, and man was I pumped about getting these $180 shoes for $120. Now let me tell you about how I wasted $120 on wal-mart quality cycling shoes. On my first long ride with my new cool shoes, I was about 40 miles out (alone) and the top/front of my foot (where the foot comes out of the shoe) began to hurt so badly, I seriously considered asking people for a ride home. Okay, pride made me deal with the pain and I eventually developed a nice callous on the tops of my feet. At the time I was riding looks, and not only would the shoe always rub on the crank, I broke two cleats unclipping. And how did I do that? Well, no matter how tight the cleat, it would twist(not being able to get out of your cleats is dangerous!). I resolved this issue with a little bit of skateboard deck tape on the cleats, and they finally stopped sliding around on the slick carbon sole. And I was happy, well, almost. About a week later the sole actually separated from the shoe, which really defeats the purpose of a carbon-soled shoe. So I picked up super glue and fixed it. The following week, I glued it again with another glue. So after 6 months of dealing with this, when the shoe actually almost completely came undone from the sole, I threw them out. oh yeah- the plastic around the toebox also unglued, which was really the least of my problems.

Specialized Pro Carbon Road- lighter and a better quality shoe.

[Aug 02, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

good lookin and feelin

nuttin

Great Looking shoe i got 2003 model blue and white awesome. VERY comfortable and good power transfer. A good bargain

shimano shoes

[May 16, 2003]
Terry Barham

OVERALL
Strength:

as above .

sole came unglued after about 500 mi . Fixed it w/ Gorrilla Snot and clamps but I train more now w/ my old Sidis

Ugliest shoe I ever saw but at half price I slipped it on . Like they said : felt like a pair of slippers . Lightest , stiffest , coolest shoe I've ever worn.

Sisi Genius

[Feb 12, 2003]
Juanmoretime

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, looks good, very stiff sole and excellent fit. Three strap closure.

I did notice that the shoe bothered the top of my foot, as other posters had mentioned. It was just an adjustment period and now I love these shoes.

Love the funky color, it fits like my slippers. Three staps hold your foot firmly. Rooming toe box and the back of the shoe holds my heal for an excellent fit. Very thick carbon sole which equates stiffness.

Carnac TRS K1 + K2 Carnac Legends, Carnac Ellipse, Nike and Specialized.

[Jan 15, 2003]
mikeyca

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely light, stiff, and comfortable around the foot. Molded-fabric construction is impressive and effective. Looks like an alien bedroom slipper.

The slight "cutting in" effect on the top of the shoe requires getting used to - can be overcome.

The Vaper is a great little piece of craftsmanship; the primary shell enclosing your foot is a single molded piece of fabric, lending an elegant minimalism to the unit... and a peculiarly comfortable fit. It hugs like a snug slipper, secure with even pressure all around and just the right wiggle factor in the toes. The carbon sole is stiff as all hell, and the construction feels solid from top to bottom. It's extremely light and breathey. Primo fit and finish, and a pretty favorable value. The top of the foot issue, described by many, is no urban road shoe myth; there's a bit of a potential annoyance here. Where many other shoes have a "tongue" running comfortably up the top of the foot, the Vaper has a close-fitted opening of fairly stiff material. When the top strap is pulled tight, and your foot is in certain positions (particularly "toe up"), the edge of the material bites into your foot slightly. I've found, however, that it's not noticeable while riding. It only bugs me a little while walking, when my Speedplay cleat lifts my toes skyward. The fading-blue color scheme is beautiful but completely unique; don't even try to match it to anything.

[Jan 11, 2003]
jefftire

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, no extra play between foot and pedal. Light weight in that you tend to forget you are wearing them at all. Gee-Wiz factor, everyone notices them.

Ankle rub for some people. Perhaps skinny legged like myself?

I also had ankle rubbing untill I added heel pads. Other than that an excellent shoe even in hot and humid conditions. They are snug fitting yet still comfy after long rides of 60-100 miles.

Nike Cipressa

[Dec 17, 2002]
Vikingbiker7

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, good temp regulation

top strap business if any

A good shoe. I agree with the others about the top of the shoe hurting your ankle. I have found that if I have the top strap too tight I get the problem, but otherwise I have no problem with my ankle. These babies are stiff. They are cool when it is HOT and you don't freeze your tooties off when the temp begins to drop. They look much beeter clean that dingy dirty.

diadora