Rocket Rocket 7 Shoe Shoes

Handmade shoes

[Sep 16, 2020]
MikeSchwartz

OVERALL
Strength:

I'm writing this review after having received my R7's about 6 weeks ago. Let me just start out by saying that I'm the kind of person who thoroughly researches a product before buying it - reviews, articles, videos and whatever else is available. Being that these are very expensive shoes, I applied that same effort over the span of about six months before I took the dive and got these. I was somewhat apprehensive due to a few mixed reviews from a couple of different sites but I said to hell with it and went ahead with the purchase. And let me be clear with what I'm about to say next... WOW. Just WOW. We'll get to the shoes in a second, because I want to elaborate on how 100% grassroots this company is. I am lucky enough to live in Colorado and was able to drive to their shop to get molded by the owner. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING (aside from the trademarked BOA mechanism of course) is made in-house from raw materials, completely by hand, in a tiny shop by a handful of guys. KC and Mike took the time to mold my feet and answer all my questions (there were a lot of questions) top to bottom. And the shoes.. I haven't ridden anything like these shoes in my 20 years of riding. Yea, they're ridiculously light and beautifully designed but my god.. They are soooo comfortable even after very long rides. I honestly have no idea why I haven't looked into something like this when I first started cycling seriously. I mean, let's be honest, we all know why. The shoes really do cost a pretty penny. But I will just say this... Buying these shoes is the same as buying a good mattress. The premium in price you're paying is an investment toward better and more comfortable sleep. These shoes are an investment toward better and more comfortable riding. You get what you pay for. 'Nuff said.

The only weakness here really is the turnaround time. These things take a couple of months to make but the wait is WELL worth it. This is an artisanally crafted product through and through which means patience is of the essence.

2020
[Sep 16, 2020]

OVERALL
Strength:

Buying a pair of Rocket 7 cycling shoes is the best decision I have made in a long time. Both my feet are deformed, and my extended riding sessions were traumatizing my toes. I was skeptical about whether custom cycling shoes would help, but I had to do something out of medical necessity. Otherwise I would not have made any change. After many sets of cycling shoes, I was accustomed to just ignoring the discomfort. Never again! The Rocket 7 team took care to measure and cast my feet so that my new shoes are a perfect fit. My shoes arrived four weeks ago. Two centuries and 150 miles of training rides later, my feet feel good, my toe ulcers are healing, and I am able to enjoy riding more than ever. My thanks to Rocket 7. Bonus time: these shoes are as light as a feather, the materials are highest quality, and the carbon fiber is beautiful to behold. I highly recommend Rocket 7 custom cycling shoes as an robust solution to anyone with severe foot problems.

Long wait time from purchase to design to delilvery, but worth the wait.

$1,650
2020
[Dec 31, 2019]
kevincomerford

OVERALL
Strength:

I’m one of those difficult customers that KC is talking about. I paid over $1500 for a pair of custom shoes on March 17, 2019. I took possession of the shoes July 1, 2019. As soon as I put them on I knew they were not right. So I paid $300 for a Retul fit. I was hoping the fit would square away the shoe. I rode them for about 700 miles and I got horrible blisters, and I lost a layer of skin on my pads, and my toes on both feet. So I told KC all my issues, sent the shoes back with insurance USPS for $35. I got the shoes back 6 weeks later, they were worse that his first attempt. Sadly he ripped out the entire molded insole and started from scratch. I saw a fitter again. And the Retul fit cost me another $300. There wasn’t any support in the shoe. I couldn’t wear them go more than a half hour. So I sent them back $35 later, got them back after another 6weeks, still horrible fit. Sent them back again $35 again, on October 2. He’s had them ever since.I thought he was screening my phone calls, he just never returned them. We also had an email mix-up. This has been such a frustrating process.

I just wanted a pair of shoes that fit.

2019
[Sep 21, 2019]
Manville

OVERALL
Strength:

A good fit if while they stay together.

Poor craftsmanship. Exceptionally poor customer service. I would give less than one star if I could. I purchased a pair of custom mountain bike shoes @ $1500. The first iteration of my shoe looked like a Birkenstock and had several areas of extra room; after a couple of heated discussions, KC agreed to fix the shoe. To be honest they came back pretty good; very nice fit. After about 10 rides the sole came off. I fixed a $1500 show with $6 of shoe gu. About 10-20 rides later the boa system broke on the shoe. I sent the shoes back and got a bill for the return shipment. That is unacceptable IMO for a $1500 shoe. I recently bought a pair of Shimano Spire shoes and a heat-moldable insole and I told KC to keep his crap Rocket 7 shoes.

2018
[Jan 13, 2020]
Rocket7

OVERALL
Strength:

Transparency is key for us and is the reason we respond to any customer on this forum is because there is no defense to what a customer reviews when you have been wrongfully accused of making a poor fitting shoe or poor customer service, if we did what the customers say on this forum, I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t be in business. I’m not going to give myself anything less than a 5 star review because we know our product is one of the finest made and any custom shoe product from any custom shoe maker is better than any off the shelf stock shoe. The strengths of our shoes are how light weight they are along with power transfer and fit. We make a lot of shoes per year with many satisfied customers but some customers won’t be satisfied regardless and feel the need for negativity and use a forum to bash a company and we feel we should be able to defend our product. And yes, we do turn down certain customers when we feel we can’t make a shoe to their standards. 1) Justin, we made your shoes fit as you wanted them and or needed them. One thing off the bat is we can only make shoes with the molds that are given to us and when the molds aren't right, your shoes will also be incorrect which was the case here. We also agreed to use a new rubber for the base of his shoes and it was agreed upon to give it a try and now we are being reviewed negatively for it. He has a very wide forefoot with all toes coming to a point like an arrow with a bunion and a very high and narrow arch. We make mountain bike shoes so that people will have stability and with these in particular, it was difficult due to the shape of his feet and we admit they needed an adjustment (see above about the molds) but he wasn’t happy with the look of the shoes but literally flipped out. We always say the customer is always right but when someone talks down to you and degrades you, you can only take so much before you take a defensive stance and fight back. Out of the hundreds of shoes with BOA dials, this was the first BOA dial that was pulled out of the shoe and it wasn’t BOA’s fault our ours. We fixed the shoes for free because I knew who I was dealing with. We shipped the repaired shoes to the address provided by but then a couple weeks later, they were sent back. He then gave us the correct address, we sent a bill for the shipping. Who is overreacting here?

2) Kevin, we were not screening your calls nor were we not returning your emails as we responded to emails you sent within 24 hours if not the same day but it has been proven he was checking the incorrect email address yet we get blamed for not responding. We have never once had a conflict with Kevin on the phone or email so we were shocked to see the way he reacted on this forum. Kevin's review says we have his shoes when in fact we don't. Kevin also said some other things via email where he's trying to leverage his review. We’ve gone above and beyond with Kevin’s shoes trying to make them to his standards and after the first adjustment, his left shoe was perfect and we have the proof to show it yet he says it was "horrible"! The right shoe he was still having a hot spot and we made the adjustments asked yet his review say the entire fit was “horrible” and the fits to follow were also horrible. We can only make adjustments with the info provided and Kevin didn’t make this easy. We sent multiple pieces of material multiple times to try and help figure out this issue he was having to no avail. We then read in his review that he had blisters and his skin came off, never heard this one. I do need to comment about the bike fitter he use and did say some things that weren’t appropriate but I will say that if you’re using a bike fitter that charges you full price for a touch up, then you need to go elsewhere. (someone charging you $300 for a touch up bike fit is a total rip off!) Kevin says that I the owner (KC) is pretty much the issue, I would say you the reader can decide when I never had an issue with this customer and now he is fabricating this story like we are not responding and or rude to him when that is in fact no true and have been willing to work with him in every way possible.

2018
[Dec 28, 2010]
thom

OVERALL
Strength:

For a custom fit this is the way to go.

Watch the heel pads as they will come off and you can crack the carbon sole. This is fixable though.

If you need a custom set of shoes because your feet are f'cked up then drop the money, do it right and be done with it. Two pairs and 6 years later they are both doing fine and holding up surprisingly well. All out of the box shoes I tried were too narrow in the fore foot to work and I had lots of discomfort as a result. Having had several pairs of custom running orthotics made and experienced the positive results this seemed like a no brainer.

Custom molded running orthotics

[Apr 14, 2009]
editmire

OVERALL
Strength:

The shoes are comfortable, with relatively pliable uppers, and I think having 3 velcro straps is a big benefit. I know almost every shoe uses some sort of ski-like ratchet system on the top strap, but the velcro is comfortable, never slips, and you can adjust it easily while riding. Don't think there's a lighter shoe on the market.

These aren't especially cool looking I think, the only things cool you can't see much (the carbon sole), or the fact that its a shoe some racers choose (i.e. aren't paid to wear)... I guess at list or custom prices they're super expensive, but I didn't pay that...

I really like these shoes, mine are not custom, but they happen to fit my feet almost as if they were... I have a high-arch, which sometimes is a problem in some shoes, but isn't here.

Specialized (not sure the model, nothing fancy)...

[Apr 12, 2009]
David Killen

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit and hardiness.

These shoes a superb!

I have one leg shorter than the other by 11mm. Prior to having these shoes made to order I had nothing but problems with my opposite foot getting numb, and saddle soreness on the short side. After using these for 2 years I can only say that they have kept me cycling when other wise I would have had to quit.

[Feb 15, 2008]

OVERALL

NOTE: This is for shoes purchased in 2004.

I cannot imagine spending $1,300 for these things now.

See above. They fit so poorly I cannot ride them.

These shoes are absolutely terrible.

While the shoes themselves seem very good quality the fit is horrid.

After having trouble with burning pain in the ball of my foot I decided to try the custom shoe route.

I worked with a podiatrist to get molds and crush box sent to Rocket 7, along with a drawing of my feet (including cleat placement) and my current full length orthotics.

The first shoes they made the sole was nowhere near close to my orthotics. The heel cup did not fit my heel, nor was the toe box in the correct position.

After discussing Dean, I went back to the podiatrist and had him review the shoes and how they fit. The podiatrist sent Dean his notes and Rocket 7 ended up building a second pair of shoes.

The second pair was better but the heel cup still did not fit correctly, the last of the shoe seemed to push my foot outward, the toe box was too small AND the holes for the cleats were WAY to far back to come close to the ball of my foot.

I sent them back for an adjustment (marking the shoe for proper placement). They redrilled the cleats holes and they are now barely far enough forward and enlarged the toe box as much as they could.

They have absolutely refused to perform any further alterations or refund my money. I cannot imagine why, it’s not like I provided them information on my own; I worked with a podiatrist who was recommend by a podiatrist they have worked with in another state.

Lake, Time, Shimano, Northwave

[Sep 23, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

fit

price, performance

spent alot of time in previous review and it never appeared on the site so here
go's: not worth the money, feet hurt, required additional purchase of footbeds
to make them usable.