Shimano R 122 Shoes

Road/Sport Performance Shoe

• Three hook and loop straps
  • Leather with nylon mesh
  • Fiberglass with carbon fiber mix
  • Drilled for look / SPD / SPD-R
  • Bronze leather with yellow mesh
  • Amateur racing / Sport riding
  • Sizes: 36, 37-47
  • Recommended pedal: PD-6600

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 27, 2003]
    Marcus

OVERALL
    Strength:

Design, stiffness, rigid velco straps stay in place.

strap material seems a little weak.

An excellent, well-valued Road Shoe. Very stiff. Great power transfer from foot to the pedal. Can't beat the shoe for the value.

[Jun 08, 2003]
    EMMANUEL15

OVERALL
    Strength:

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL

THE SIZING IS SMALL COMPARE THANE OTHER BRAND

WONDERFUL FOR THE PRICE RIGID AND 3 STRAPS CAREFUL OF NOT TIGHTENING THEM TO MUCH OR THAT WILL CUT THE BLOOD I AM USING LOOK PEDAL AND COMPARE THANE SIDI OR DIADORA IT IS BEAUTYFUL NO PAIN DUE TO THE FEELING OF THE CLEAT DRILLING YOUR FOOT. JUST A BIT HOT IN AUSTRALIA NOW IN FRANCE NO PROBLEMS.

SIDI TECHNO? DIADORA?

[Mar 26, 2003]
    Bridgey

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great fit, nice looks, Stiff.

The hole near the toes.

Stiff, nice look. Firm fit, no foot slide even when put on loosely. Extra thick plastic sole. Hole in the bottom near the toe is the only annoying feature. It makes my toes near there feel like they are on fire after a few hours of riding. Perhaps from the rubbing. I also initially got pins and needles in teh feet despite a nice fit, but seems to have subsided for now. Please Shimano, get rid of the hole.

Specialised shoes, SH-RO97 (2002 model, but pretty much the same shoe, if not identical with a different colour)

[Oct 11, 2002]
    lookster

OVERALL
    Strength:

excellent appearance and quality, great foot retention, very stiff outsole

more for narrow feet (not a weakness for me), no real deficiencies, only two screws for holding on SPD-R cleats (not a problem, but I would rather have 3)

I ordered these shoes based off of reviews I read on your site and others. They have turned out to be everything I could have wanted in my first pair of clipless pedals/shoes. They are reasonably light, very stiff, and have a nice and breathable upper. They function great with the new improved SPD-R 6601 pedals, but I am not sure how they work with other pedal systems. Durability hasn't really been tested yet, but they look nice and durable. Also, a they have very good foot retention for a velcro strap type shoe. All-around a good (and good looking) buy.

none - first cycling shoes ever

[Jul 30, 2002]
    p8ton

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff good fit for wide feet

Hole in the bucket ?

Just got um but they really fit my fred fimstone's ! really wondering about the little hole in the sole near the toe, that goes through the insole also. Anybody know ?

Northwave sidi

[May 04, 2002]
    Road Bike Man

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great support/foot retention, stiff, great looking, best upgrade I''ve ever made, function brilliantly with the new improved SPD-R PD-6601 pedals.

Doesn''t work very well used with pedals other than SPD-R, not really a problem considering that they are specifically desinged to be used with them.

These shoes are excellent for pretty much all types of riding. They have a very stiff, carbon re-inforced sole and brilliant foot retention. Stitching and general construction is of a very high standard! They''re probably one of the best quality shoes this side of a £100, certainly the best I''ve come across. Overall, great cycling shoes well suited to sport and competetive cycling.

Sidi Iron, Shimano RO-96, Specailized Sport 01.

[Apr 22, 2002]
    downunderracer

OVERALL
    Strength:

All synthetic - no stretching Pretty stiff sole Good fit and retention

None, really

I was looking for a pair of shoes with three straps that wouldn''''t break the bank, and these seemed to be the best choice at the time. I also tried some Northwaves but their sole plate system looked like a weakness and the equivalently priced model didn''''t appear to be very stiff in the sole. The three straps gives the Shimano plenty of adjustment, and they retain my feet very well. They are a little cramped around the big toe, but it''''s a minor thing that I put up with. They are very well made shoes, all synthetic so they don''''t stretch as they wear in. And they look ok, too. The sole could be even stiffer for when I spend a lot of time out of the saddle on my SPD-R''''s, but generally they are ok in this department. My feet sometimes lose circulation if I have the straps done up tight. I''''m not sure if this is a problem with my feet or with the shoes, because I haven''''t used any others that I could do up this tight. My feet don''''t have much meat on them and I have the same problem with ski boots, so I''''ll assume that it''''s not the shoes'''' fault.

Ancient Diadoras

[Apr 21, 2002]
    Rob69

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiffness (carbon re-inforced);Foot retention;Quality;SPD-R system is awesome.

None I can think of.

I have used these shoes now for 6months and think they are brilliant, they have incredable stiffness and the foot retension is excellent. The qualility of the making is amazing, the stiching is perfect and the three straps hold your feet in tightly and comfortably. There is not much else to say other than they are the best shoe I have ever had and are great value for money.

Shimano R096, Specialized BG Sport, Sidi Iron.

[Mar 21, 2002]
    Alex

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff sole, excellent power transfer. Decent appearance.

NASTY sole shape. Too wide and curvy. Straps create pressure poins.

These shoes lookniceand feel nice initially. Soon enough though,the straps started stretching, so tightened them. But this creates pressure points. As soon as I loosen them, my feet start moving around. I believe the problem is twofold. Firstly, the sole is VERY wide. Unless you have very wide feet, don''t buy these. Second, the sole has a pronounced curve along its longitudinal axis. My feet are flat. So make sure your feet are curvy ifyou buy thse shoes. Also make sure that they curve the SHIMANO way, because these babies don''t bend at all. Also, I fail to see the "carbon" in the soles. False advertising. Shimano should just focus on their excellent bike components and let the shoe makers make the shoes.

Diadora, Cannondale, Sidi

[Jan 13, 2002]
    Scott

OVERALL
    Strength:

Incredible cost/value ratio. Very secure. Stiff enough for just about anyone.

None really... Except that the sole is not flashy carbon fibre (like that really counts)

I was amazed at the incredibly snug and supportive nature of these shoes. At a list price of $200CDN, these shoes are simply amazing. The soles are plenty stiff, but the shoe remains comfortable. The combination of 3 straps and a deep heel cup make for a very secure shoe. I actually switched to these shoes from a pair of Shimano R212''s, and like them much better so far - as I''ve learned the most costly shoe is not necessarily the best shoe. If you are a speedplay fan (like me) this is a great, high-performance, speedplay-friendly shoe!

Shimano R212, Shimano R096