Shimano SH-R131 Shoes

• Carbon fiber composite sole
  • Anatomical curved last
  • Outstanding fit and improved stability
  • Micro-adjsut buckle and dual offset straps
  • Molded vents in heel cup and toe cap

[Sep 14, 2011]
Blue Sugar

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon sole, Japanese quality, closeout price.

Japanese style, wide heel pocket.

I bought these shoes on closeout to replace my 17 year old Sidi Technos that finally gave up the ghost. They fit pretty well, but the heel pocket is a litle too wide for my narow heel. These aren't one of the Shimano shoes you put in an oven to customize the fit. The carbon sole is stiff and efficient, and he soles of my feet don't get sore on hard rides like they used to. The ratcheting buckle and two velcro straps keep the shoe snug around your feet. The shoes are also well made and should last. Drawbacks are that they exhbit that overly industrial dork-robot styling the Japanese are known for, and the heel pocket may be to wide, depending on the size of your feet. And they might not be as light as racing shoes. These shoes are no longer made but if you can get a pair on closeout for a good price, they'd be worth considering, as long as you can deal with the dork factor.

Sidi Techno, Time Criterium.

[Apr 12, 2010]
813Hammerhead1515

OVERALL
Strength:

Shimano continues to make a great product.
The Carbon is stiff and ridgid.
The shoe are really light with the cleats.
The cleats match up well with Shimano pedals.
The shoe width is a little wider giving you a more comfortable fit.
The Ratchet Lock allows for a more secure fit.

Replace insert with an insert with more support. No weeknesses in shoe quality.

The Shimano R131 Road Cycling shoes I found to be excellent in every way. The Shimano shoes in general are made for riders with a little wider foot. The Road shoes are very comfortable and the carbon underneath the shoe is very stiff and ridgid. The ratchet Lock on the side is excellent and it really helps to give you that snug feeling without being to tight. I really like the look of the shoe with the silver,black and maroon colors. These shoes are durable I have not had one issue with back heels coming off or ratchets being broken. I have had these shoes for 2 years. The only thing I would suggest is to replace the insert with one that has a little more padding and arch support. But other than that these shoes are fantastic. I have tried on Sidi's before but they are just to narrow for my foot. The Sidis I looked at were $229.00. I found the Shimano R131 shoes to be equal or even better than Sidi's. I paid $89.00 for the Shimano R131's you do the math.

Shimano shoes only

[Jan 11, 2010]
khdroberts

OVERALL
Strength:

Thick leather, fairly stiff.

Poor design, mark up easily, heel protectors wear easily and break early. Not as light as people claim. Not as comfortable as people claim.

Bought these as a supposed good all-rounder that could handle long rides and would wear well.

Product lasted about 12 months before the heel guard snapped off. Can't replace it either so at the moment it's glued in place. Less than ideal.

I wouldn't recommend this product and intend to not buy this brand again.

Next time I'll invest some real cash in some Sidi or Mavic or Bont.

Cannondale MTB shoes, Sidi, other Shimano.

[Jan 09, 2010]
rick buckendahl

OVERALL

Wratchet whimped out and stripped on one shoe right out of the box! Store said it would replace it but not a good feeling for something I hav'nt even used yet.

Hope this shoe proves to be good for years to come. My old cheap specialized kicked butt for six years and are to become the winter shoe.

[Sep 23, 2008]
thejdj

OVERALL
Strength:

Super stiff, but still very comfortable. The ratchet mechanism works great.

The tongue is fraying a little after ~500 miles.
I don't really like the silver color, but that is a preference thing and not a problem with the shoe.

Very nice and very comfortable. Super light. These shoes replace my nearly 10-year-old Nikes. With my cleats installed the shoe/cleat felt light than my old shoes with no cleat.

[Aug 16, 2008]
ru1-2cycle

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, comfortable, stiff, beautiful silver carbon, convenient microadjustable buckle, no hot spots, cool vents @ the heel and toes.

None yet.

I got a sweet deal at Performance with a 20% off coupon that dropped the sale price from 139.99 to 111.0. Best deal in shoes for me. The silver carbon is gorgeous, the fit perfect off the box. The tongue is comfortable, not bulky, promoting a hindrance free circular spin, with no hot spots. The power tranfer is steady stiff but vey comfortable. They are steady to walk on even on tile floor.

Cat-1 Stelvio Carbon.