Shimano SH-R131S Shoes

• Carbon fiber composite sole/super lightweight
  • Off-set straps prevents pressure points
  • Molded vents in heel cup and toe cap/functional ventilation

[Sep 02, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent value for the price. Room for weird foot hardware if you require it.

Narrow feet will benefit from thicker insoles or orthotics.

I suspect that the main function of bike shoes is to efficiently transfer power from my poor ol' legs to the pedals without dissipating it in flex, poor foot or leg position, etc. The key here MUST be stiff soles, as any flex is pure robbery. These shoes have great, stiff soles, and if you've been riding with plastic you'll be stunned by the difference. The placement of the straps is perfect for my feet, stays away from pressure points. I have narrow feet, and so have to crank these down pretty hard with the as-received insoles to get a snug fit. The good news is that I've never had hot spots or pressure points, and have discovered that I have room for Soles "orthotics" which make a world of difference for foot comfort. In a universe of $150-$400 shoes with carbon-fiber reinforced soles, it is great that a pair on the low end of the price scale performs so well.

[Jun 17, 2008]
scott

OVERALL
Strength:

very high quit

i like this a well as the nike shoes that i have write kown

nike

[Jun 14, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very solid and comfortable shoe, looks fast and will make you pedal even faster. Price is right in the middle of the road shoe range and in this case you get even more than you pay for.

None that I can think of unless you think 150 is too much for a decent pair of road shoes.

Finally got around to upgrading my road shoes as it was long overdue, my Carnacs were just worn out. All my friends said give the Shimano's a shot so I did. I went out and got a pair of the new Shimano R131S and was ver pleasently suprised, it is a nice shiny silver color with some black mesh in the toe area and heel. The nice thing is it is very comfortable in the toe area and the heel is very sucure once your top strap is tightened. Two velcro straps on the toe and the top strap is the ratcheting type and is easy to use and well built. Sole is a silver grey carbon and it is stiff, much more stiff than my Carnac's were and it leads to much better power transfer to the pedals when sprinting or climbing, it just feels very solid and comfortable. Yes, I did look at the R200 and R300, but they are white which looks great brand new, but gets dirty pretty fast and the custom molded insole padding for themis nice if you have to have it, I don't and I didn't want to spent the extra 90 or 150 dollars. I think you will have a very hard time finding a better peforming road shoe in the under 200 range, I look at a lot of them and the Shimano R131S had it all, best bang for the buck IMO.

Carnac, Sidi