Shimano SH-R212 Shoes

Nylon mesh and synthetic leather upper with triple strap closure provide a non stretching energy efficient pedaling platform. New 3-D molded carbon fiber sole reduces weight and is ultra stiff. SPD, SPD-R, and Look compatible.

[Jul 07, 2002]
allezmichigan

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredibly light, Stiffest shoe available. Carbon straps make for an incredibly secure, stretch-free fit. Low pedal stack-height, and requires no adapters for Look, SPD, SPD-R pedals.

Didn't fit my daffy-duck shaped feet--too narrow. No padding at all between no-stretch carbon straps and your foot, could use some neoprene like Carnacs. Pretty spendy, but if they fit your dogs, well worth it.

Purchased to replace R210's I had that finally wore out, and were my favorite shoes of all time.

Shimano R210s, Sidi Genius, Carnac Ellipse.

[Jun 20, 2002]
LoneWolf

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff. Great for folks with narrow feet. Well made. Well ventilated

A bit pricey, but every good shoe is, so it's not a major complaint. Would be nice to have replaceable heel and toe plates like the Sidi Genius.

These replaced an ancient pair of Specialized Pro Dog road shoes I had, I got them on clearance locally, and I'm pleased to say they're absolutely wonderful. Fit me perfectly (I have large, but narrow feet and none of Sidi's shoes, even narrow ones, fit me quite right), the straps are reinforced with carbon to make them more durable and the soles are inflexible when pedaling, I feel like I'm losing nothing when I ride. Comfortable, and well ventilated.

Specialized Pro Dog road shoe, tried on several models of Sidi Genius 4.

[Apr 27, 2002]
Greg Shimonek

Strength:

Bottom ripped out after less than 6 months of use.

I have never owned a pair of Shimano shoes that lasted more than six months before the bottom ripped out at the cleat. Shimano also has the worst warranty of any company I have ever tried to deal with. They blamed the mountain bike type of cleat I used even though it was a Shimano Ultegra pedal, and the cleat that came with it. I have had such bad luck with Shimano warranties I refuse to purchase any Shimano part for any of my bikes. I have gotten it down to one front derailer on my mountain bike, and as soon as I find a replacement for that its gone as well.

Look, Nike, Answer, Carnac (soon).

[Jan 28, 2002]
Robb

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, work well with Look pedals

Expensive, but if you look you can find them in the marketplace for less.

Great shoes. Stiff, uppers well constructed and feel like an extension of your foot. NO movement of the foot or slippage of the closure straps. Comfortable, even on the first ride.

Shimano R120s

[Jan 13, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff. Excellent construction. Durable and unstretchable straps. Well ventilated. Very light weight. Better than expected quality throughout. Nice looks.

Price point. A replaceable heel tap would be nice. There was very limited availability when I tried to purchase them. I don't know how great they would work with other pedal systems.

The fit is excellent if you have a narrow foot - like they were made for me. These shoes and the DA pedals make a great combo. Super stiff carbon fiber sole. The traditional three carbon fiber strap system is nice compared to some of the whacky ratchets that other shoe makers employ. I get a better fit = more power from the three straps than the single strap on T1 and Carnacs. $240 is stiff, but these will last you a lot of miles.

Sidi T1, Carnac, etc...

[Apr 20, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff. High quality construction throughout. Very low stretch. Comfortable for narrow feet. Works well with small platform pedals.

Extremely high price retail price. Uppers are very stiff and dug into my ankles initially. After manually breaking the uppers in (flexing the uppers with my hand), all annoying friction points disappeared. The carbon straps are very stiff which makes getting the shoes off a little harder than usual, but also means you don't have to worry about adjusting the shoes partway through rides from stretch or slippage. Replaceable heel and toe grips would be nice at this price. The resin covering on the grips is very slippery at first but after short walks and stops, the resin quickly gets scratched off.

I can't say I'm a fan of the "Pumpkin in Space" orange-black-silver styling...but hey...that's a matter of taste.

Great shoe...but a not so great price. Try them on carefully before buying as they fit a bit narrow and small.

Duegi, Diadora, Sidi