Shimano SH-R220 Shoes

• Heat-moldable Custom-Fit technology
  • Custom-Fit technology in heel cup stabilizes the foot
  • Carbon fiber composite sole for peak power trandfer
  • Micro-adjust buckle and dual asymmetrical straps
  • Advanced strech-resistant synthetic fabrics

[Mar 26, 2009]
JulesYK

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, super stiff, fits me well. Well ventilated, if that's what you are looking for.

A replaceable heel pad would be nice, but that's why God gave us Shoe-Goo. Buckle strap almost too long, and non-adjustable. I guess a weakness would be the custom-fit option and the lack of dealers who can do this (some in the DC area gave up on the system, even though they are still listed on the Shimano website as Custom Fit dealers).

Sadly, I didn't stock up when Shimano discontinued the SH-R215, which was a great shoe. I have a hard time finding a wide shoe with a tall toe-box and relatively narrow heel, and this is about it. Fit is about the same as the SH-215, although it feels snugger out of the box in the heel, which is great. The buckle strap, however, is longer, and I'm pretty much as tight as the buckle goes, and there's no way to adjust like you can with many other brands (Sidi, Specialized, etc.). Still, when you've tried just about every shoe out there, you go with what fits.

SH-R215 (even lighter and better ventilated, cheaper, too).

[Jan 17, 2009]
Allan

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, finish, looks, price.

Hmmm, still thinking. None so far.

Fantastic shoe! I was sceptical about the heat molding process at first, then I tried and BAM! what a difference in fit. The shoes went from good to great in the space it took to heat them and vaccuum bag 'em around my feet.

Velcro and ratchet system gives you a snug (or not so snug if you prefer) fit. Love 'em.

I've had all sorts of Shimano shoes. These ones are head and shoulders above previous models.

[Jan 16, 2009]
Chad

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff- roomy toe box- adjustable ratchet system- and very comfortable

Bought this shoe after doing some research due to problems with my feet hurting in my Nike Altea shoes. Could not have asked for a better feel. I then had them fitted at a local shop and it made my ride even better. Great Shoe

Nike Altea II/ Diadora/ Specialized