Shimano SH-R300 Shoes

• Thermo-form
  • Next generation NANOTEC carbon fiber outsole
  • Thermo-form insole
  • Micro-asjust buckle and dual offset straps

[Jun 28, 2009]
John Iselin

OVERALL
Strength:

Shimano - Light weight and breathable

Very fast heal wear. NO REPLACEABLE. Custom fit was good for three months but stretches out and you will need to get them re-fit. Unfortunately, the heals will wear out well before the shoes need replacement.

Purchased the ShimanoR300 and have been diappointed with the results. My shoes are not even six months old and the heal pads are coming off. The front to support is also very weak and has great signs of wear. This all from just putting my foot down at stop signs. I have done very little walking in my shoes and for the money this will be my last pair of shimanos.

Last week I bought a pair of SIDI Ergo 2 shoes with the replaceable heals which is a great asset, but this is the finest shoe I've ever worn. They are well worth the money. They felt great on mile 5 as they did on mile 60 the other day.

[May 04, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

As described in the review

The gaudy silver

I recommend this shoe to anyone but especially if you have been hard to fit, because of wide or flat feet. The shoe does not have "excessive" built in arch, like Sidi and does not run narrow.

The attention to detail is superb. The velcro straps are very flexible, fasten and adjust easily but grip strongly. The tongue has a little elastic gusset near its top center so it does not place pressure on the tendons where your foot flexes above the instep. The heel lining is durable and has little, gentle frabic grippers to hold your socks in place.

The custom fit is nice but the shoes are comfortable from the get go because the upper material is the most comfortable, foot conforming material I have encountered. The shoes are also well ventilated. You'll need shoe covers in cool weather.

Side, Rocket 7, Nike, Specialized

[Sep 17, 2008]
Mllfalcon

OVERALL
Strength:

Custom fit
Stiff sole

UGLY
Uncomfortable after a while

The conforming shoes are a good idea and makes for a good fitting shoe. The big problem for me is that there is a seem on the inside of the shoe that is right on top off my little toe. It puts light presur on my toe that doesn't bother me initially. After about an hour, the seams becomes very uncomfortable. I checked every pair at the local bike shop and they all have the same seam. I guess these shoes just don't work for me. I think I will have ti go back to Sidi or Carnac.

Sidi Genius 5
Carnac M5

[Aug 11, 2008]
Paul

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, great fit, comfortable and secure closures.

Spendy, runs a bit wide and long, not as breathable as previous high-end Shimano shoes like R214

Awesome fit, sizing is a bit weird relative to prior Shimano shoes.

Sidi Genius, Shimano R214, Carnac

[Apr 16, 2008]
cspike

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, solid sole, quality construction, custom fit option, pads included for the insoles, and good ventilation.

The colors are a bit bold and spacey, but not too bad. The micro adjust rachet is a little cheap looking, but works well enough. These are very minor comments as I can't find any serious weakness for the shoes.

I never used Shimano shoes in the past as they always seemed to be too wide. I gave this shoe a try based on reviews I read, and shop talk, and I don't regret it. I haven't had them custom fit yet and they still fit great. They are comfortable right out of the box. The sole is nice and solid and the shoes feel great mile after mile. I am waiting to get custom insoles before I get the shoes custom fit, but I am very curious how they will feel afterwards. They seem very well built and durable; a bit pricey, but worth it in the long run. I compared these side by side to the Sidi Ergo 2, and it was an easy decision. I have a narrow and low volume foot, and they fit very nicely. I was using the Specialized Carbon pro shoes, which I really liked, I just need to move away from the canted sole.

Sidi Ergo 2, Specialized Carbon Pro, and Sidi Genius.

[Jan 10, 2008]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Your friend won't get them cause he's cheep.

Mold them in the thickest sock you will ever use in the shoe.

Stiff. Don't have to use very much strap tension to hold foot secure. After molding they looked like my foot.

SEDI

[Jan 09, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

1) lightweight
2) custom molding
3) great retention from the ratchet and velcro straps
4) well ventilated

1) expensive!
2) poke-my-eyes-out UGLY!
3) could the last be too stiff???

I was initially skeptical of the claims of superior fit and stiffness, but after riding these shoes, I can definitely say a few things:

1) Absolutely the stiffest shoe......anything stiffer would have to be a slab of concrete.
2) The upper is ugly as sin......subjective, I know, but really, just look at it!
3) The synthetic upper is supple and definitely forms to your foot. It's readily apparent if you look at before and after molding.
4) I'm not sure that molding the insole does all that much considering regular footbeds look & feel the same after a season of use. I think the benefit comes in having that worn/molded feel right from the start vs. 6 months of hard use.
5) The ratchet and velcro easily keep the upper snug around your foot.

Diadora
Northwave
Specialized
Gaerne

[Nov 15, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, looks, cat's tongue material in heel cup, secure fit. much cheaper than full custom and much better looks too

feel noticibly better than my previous shimano r214 shoes. light, stiff, and very comfortable even without the custom molding

shimano r214

[Jun 21, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, comfy, look good

Plastic ratchet - for this price they could use aluminum

These are the nicest shoes I have ever owned. They are super stiff (as is typical with Shimano), comfy, ultra light and hold on to your feet perfectly. They also look really good. I would highly recommend these shoes to anyone, even if you have to pay full retail.
Be aware that they do fit a little bigger than previous Shimano models (at least that is my experience). The insole from my 44.5 R300s is longer and wider than the insole on my older Shimano 45s.

Sidi Genius, Older Shimanos

[Jun 21, 2007]
Leithen

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, comfy, look good

Plastic ratchet - for this price they could use aluminum