Shimano SH-RT80 Shoes

• Recessed cleat design with "slim-line" walkable outsole
  • Non-slip smooth rubber sole for off-the-bike activities
  • Micro-adjust buckle & straps allows subtle adjustments
  • Large nylon mesh upper provides high breath ability

[Feb 21, 2010]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff sole, walkable, easy to adjust tightness on the fly.

I haven't found any.

So far these shoes have been great. I use them with my Shimano double sided M324s on a touring bike and Ritchey Road Logics with no problems whatsoever. They have a very stiff sole which is good if it is the right shape for your foot. Some SPD shoes leave a lot to be desired under the ball of your foot, but I have found these to be much better than others I've used. On par with Lake's SPD footbed. These are very walkable, no clicking on clean floors, a little grinding on sandy concrete. So far so good after about 150 days. The buckle is solid, the velcro is holding up, sole is holding solid.

Lake Touring Shoes, Older Shimano "street" spds.

[Dec 14, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Sole appears to be durable at the cleat slots. Comfortable fit. Looks like a road shoe.

Nothing encountered yet; I want to focus on the shoes durability. I don't use Loctite on the cleat mounting screws, so I've been tightening the cleats every couple of days for the past week. The screws keep tightening, so some settling in is taking place in the sole material.

I normally use Adidas road cycling shoes on the original SPD road cleats, but when my Adidas mtb sole self-destructed at the mounting holes, I sought a more reliable shoe where some walking off bike is possible. I am so far very impressed with the RT80. It doesn't have the mtb lugged sole and it feels comfortable (slightly awkward due to raised front sole) walking. It fits my narrow foot, and the sizing is just slightly smaller than Adidas (Shimano 44 would be like Adidas 43.5). I like the ratcheted buckle, but we'll see just how long it will last.

Various Adidas road shoes, Adidas mountain bike shoes (forget which model, but the sole is crap!).