Sidi GENIUS 4 Shoes

[Sep 30, 2012]
Zachariah

OVERALL
Strength:

~Replaceable heel inserts
~Stiff composite sole, CLOSE to true carbon
~Well made
~Velcro straps has an additional plastic interlock, preventing velcro failure
~Longevity of Lorica uppers
~Padded tongue
~Replaceable ratchet straps

~Italian sizing is way OFF - go one full size higher, for USA/UK feet
~Hugo Boss pricing

Yes, it's true - these shoes last a looooonng time. They have survived being hit by two cars, a 35mph downhill tire blowout and a few long, awkward walks to get breakdown assistance.

Just like automobiles - I only buy SIDI footwear pre-owned. Only then, do they become worth it.

[Aug 01, 2007]
Eddie Beane

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort and durability

Initial price...but amortized they are cheap!

I've had the Sidi Genius 4s for going on six years...yes...six years. I put on a modest 3000 miles a year so these shoes have done the miles. What is more important is that they have been like riding in stiff slippers the whole time. My feet have never hurt in these...and I just got back from riding across Iowa (about 500 miles). The rest of me hurt...but not my feet. I know that not all feet fit all shoes perfectly...but my feet fit the Sidis and after some 15,000-18,000 miles they still look good and function perfectly. What other shoe can match that durability and comfort?

Lake mountain shoes

[Nov 03, 2006]
vio765

OVERALL
Strength:

Sidi. need i say more?

ya right!!!!

had Genius 5s before these and they were wide. but they fit so well, i kept them the whole season anyway. the new silver genius 5s are a better fit and newer.

nothing else

[Sep 18, 2006]
terrahopper

OVERALL
Strength:

Lasts a long time, I'm told

Not for flat, wide feet!

I've got flat and wide feet. I tried a pair of Genius 5 shoes. I was told they'd last long. I agree with that. But they felt like I've got a small rock under my flat arch just standing up in the store. Ouch! I tried Shimano, Lake, DMT, Forte, Pearl Izumi, and then Specialized. If you've got flat, wide feet, go for the Specialized Comp Road or Shimano R075. I bought the former because the toe box is a lot more square and the insole feel very flat to match my flat feet.

Forté CR310, Shimano R075, Specialized Comp Road

[Jul 31, 2006]
run50

OVERALL
Strength:

None...........

2 pair of SIDI Genius's and both developed hot spots on my feet......excruciatingly painful.

In May I bought a pair of SIDI Genius 5's for $248. I had been told they were the mega's for size width D. But I got continual hot spots on the bottoms of my feet, toes and sides of feet. Went to another bike shop and was told that I had the wrong size shoe, need the Mega's size so I was talked into buying another pair of the SIDI Genius 5's again at $248 (standard price). Yesterday I did a 105 mile ride and same problem....excruciating hot spots on bottoms and sides of my feet. I'm taking them back today as I'd been told that this wider size would correct and resolve the hot spots. I just don't think SIDI shoes are that great. I've talked with amny people who had the exact same problem with SIDI shoes...hot spots on bottom of feet. I'll never buy another pair of them, I know that.

Shimano mountain bike shoes...no problem with hot spots.

[Dec 18, 2005]
cthomas

OVERALL
Strength:

Lorica is super durable. Light. Classic design.

Insert is thin and cheap. Replace it.

I finally retired my trusty Genius 3 Mega's to be my trainer/rain shoes and upgraded to Genius 4 Mega's. The Genius 4 buckle is the best improvement over previus versions. The pin on the Genius 3 buckle works loose and is a pain to keep pushing back in. No problem like that with the 4's. The Genius 4 also has a new arch compression strap. Looks cool, but functionality wise I prefer the leather flap of the Genius 3. Of course, these are made of a synthetic leather called Lorica. The best part is they DON'T stretch, even in the rain. I just put leather lotion on mine to clean them now and then and they look like new. Take a look at a pair of Carnac's after a few rides...all scraped up. My Sidi's are a year old and still look like new. I can wear the regular width Sidi's, but only with the flimsy insert that comes with the shoes. Quite frankly this is the one dig on Sidi. The insert is crap. I get the Mega's then use a larger insert and they fit like a glove. I also wish the Mega's came in the colors available in the regular width Sidi's. Sure, black is retro cool, but it would be nice to have a color option. Still, once you wear these on a long ride you realize what clunkers most of the other shoes are. Most people are turned off by the price, but they are worth it. Besides, you can usually find a great deal on the internet. I like Total Cycling for these deals. www.totalcycling.com Give them a try, you won't be sorry.

Carnac, Shimano, Addidas

[Jun 04, 2005]
English Guy

OVERALL
Strength:

The Ratchet (ajustable while going along) Comfy

no toe tabs looks

As soon as I put these shoes on I knew they had got to be the ones for me, they were comfy as any pair of trainers or for that matter a well worn in pair of ice skates. Once I had put the cleats on and snapped into the pedals I immediately noticed the difference that a good pair of cycling shoes makes-pedalling felt smooth and powerful. On the other hand these shoes are not perfect, for £100 I would have expected a bit of protection for the tip of the sole and while they look good they are not (in my humble opinion) as nice as the specialized S-works (admittedly they are £50 dearer)

Jonh Luck tri shoes

[May 19, 2005]
westpenncyclist

No arch support Toebox too narrow Insole too flat

[I’ve posted this same review for the Mega (wide) model. But I think my experience reflects what is characteristic about all of the Genius models and deserves to be reiterated here.] Sidi shoes are by and far the most over priced and overrated cycing shoe on the market and is devoid of any functional design elements. The insole is flat, too wide at the heal, and too narrow at the forefoot. They offer no arch support and the toebox is too cramped. Even the Mega model I wore is too narrow in the forefoot. The entire year I wore them, I suffered from "hotspots" and "toe numbness." I honestly believe that those who rate these shoes highly are either shills or have never tried a high-end shoe from another manufacturer. These shoes are so badly designed I thought my feet were severely malformed and that I needed custom shoes. But after consulting with a sports pedorthist and a podiatrist, I discovered I simply needed a shoe designed to fit the human foot. I've been told that Sidi aficionados that they’re a so-called "European style" shoe. I'm not sure what the means. Every European I've ever met had human feet. Shimano, Specialized, and Carnac all make a superior high-end shoe in both form and function. [For the record, I have an “E” width foot.]

Shimmano R215-E Specialized 05 Pro Carbon Road Specialized 05 Comp Road Carnac M5 Carbon

[May 05, 2005]
Bart009

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjusting Feeling of the leather Great fitting

Might be the price; but good quality had a price.

Great shoe, great fit, superb comfort. Lorica Leather feels splendid; so soft. The adjusting strip is splendid as well :D

Shimano SH-R 096 (definitely wasn't my thing)

[Jan 21, 2005]
speedfreak1

OVERALL
Strength:

COMFORTABLE !! handsome. E-Z to adjust, even while riding. The LOOSENING rachet system is really cool. Lorica material is soft & doesn't let too much cold air in on those chilly mornings.

Can't be worn as a regular street shoe !!

These things fit like fine, handmade italian shoes! Wait, they ARE fine, handmade Italian (cycling) shoes!! It is easy to see why so many Pro racers use them. The rachet system to thighten & loosen is fast & foolproof. I always have to snug them up a little after 30 miles or so & it is easy to do on the fly. Replaceable heel pad is a good idea. The new Millennium II sole is stiff enough that I feel I'm pushing the pedal with my entire foot, not just the ball. No hot spots as a result. The 2 Velcro straps don't need to be pulled very thight. Foot cramps result if you do. Overall appearence of the Sidi is quite handsome. If you look on Ebay awhile, you can find some interesting color combinations. This is the 3rd brand of shoes I've owned and the Sidi sizing matches that of the other 2 brands.

Shimano, AXO

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.