Sidi Genius 5 Carbon Shoes

The Sidi Sidi Genius 5 Carbon road shoe is as good as it gets. The stiff yet comfortable carbon sole from the Ergo-1 combined with the Genius 5 to create a new classic. Wide Arch Compression Strap and two Velcro closures make this one of the best-fitting

[Mar 11, 2016]
Biga6462

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Power Transfer

Feet hurt after riding for 30 miles

I wanted to give SIDI shoes a try because of their great reputation through the years. I really wanted to make these shoes work because I could really tell a difference in power transfer compared to my old shimano shoes. On short rides these shoes were nice and comfy but on longer rides my feet were hurting me. My feet would even go numb on longer rides with with the straps loose to accommodate my foot swelling. I tried several insoles (Specialized BG, too large for the shoe) and (Giro Supernatural). The Giro insert did help but it wasn't good enough to justify keeping the shoes. I guess some shoes just aren't made to fit everyone.

[Aug 30, 2012]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

I've only had Sidi for the past 15 years.... genius 5. The last pair were Mega for wider feet. After only 5 years the inner lining behind the heel wore through. The rest of the shoe is perfect. The other side fine. My 10 year old Sidi never did this. The rep said sorry. I should buy a new pair. Materials flaw for me. Fit great and no other complaints.

Poor materials

I'm looking for a new brand to try after 15 years as a loyal Sidi customer. I don't think that spending this kind of money is worth the risk to see if they have used better materials on their next shoe.

[Jan 25, 2011]
szalkmi

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent Performance

Poor Quality

While this shoes performs excellently, I cannot recommend it due to a quality flaw. After 2 years, the heel reflector has cracked and peeled and looks horrible. In a pace line this is the only part of the shoe anyone really sees. In my discussions with the Sidi rep, I was told "The shield that covers the reflector can become brittle over time and even something as simple as you stepping on it when putting the shoe on can cause it to split open." And since the shoe is outside the one year factory warranty they will not fix it. I am sorry, but if I am going to spend $250 on a pair of cycling shoes I expect them to last longer than 2 years regardless of the factory warranty. This is obviously a design flaw and I would not recommend this shoe because of it.

[Sep 05, 2010]
Tommy Walker

OVERALL
Strength:

Feels great, adjustable, so they improved my performance

While the price was higher than my previous shoes, it really is worth the cost to by Sidi's

Wow, after one weekend Sidi's are the best. The fit is fantastic and feels like a fine Italian shoe, which it is. I even noticed some performance improvement in my ride today.

Shimno RD76; SPECIALIZED BG

[Jun 10, 2009]
darin cline barker

OVERALL
Strength:

light, stiff, comfortable, support, feet dont go numb. good looking.

none yet.

Awesome shoe so far, After using Shimano's for almost 10 years. I knew after the first ride these were deffinently worth the price, I can actually put all the power into the peddles. The shimanos come to find out were not wide enough for my foot to expand when pushing on the peddles. I was always unsure about the reason until now. Also my feet no longer go numb after 20 miles or so.

none.

[May 12, 2006]
The Shift

OVERALL
Strength:

Hand made Italian(my wife is jealous)
No breakin time

bit expensive I'm not sure it was worth the extra for the carbon sole

Comfort plus I could wear these all day. ratchet strap gives you a nice secure feel and can be adjusted on the ride. Super arch support.

Adidas

[Apr 30, 2006]
iploya

OVERALL
Strength:

Great looks over previous model years; lightweight; solid; well-made shoes.

It's a fact of cycling life that you will pay more for specialty shoes than for general purpose athletic shoes. Buy the best level of shoe you can afford. Suck it up -- you can do it!

I really like these new shoes. Overall, it's just a really good looking, well-made, solid, lightweight, and great-fitting pair. The whole Sidi line is known for having a good fit, especially these models having the molded heel and variable 3-strap ratchet design. The design of the new Genius 5.5 in black is very pleasing to the eye -- much moreso than the loud silver models of a prior generation. Like another poster, I just enjoy looking down at them while I ride. True, the carbon is slightly deceiving. If you look closely, the woven appearance is molded in, and is not actual woven carbon. Still, if you check the specs, the Genius 5.5 are 45 grams lighter than the $80 cheaper non-carb models. They are also slightly lighter than the more expensive Ergo model. And I think (not sure) that the carbon plates are replaceable, which could come in handy. Overall, I am happy spending an extra 80 bucks as compared with the regular 5s. Did you know Sidi are largely handmade? A lot of work goes into making a pair. Of course, as with any shoe, proper cleat positioning a HUGE factor in how happy you will be. I, for example, require a few wedges, and my left foot toes-out somewhat. Without a good setup by an experienced bike fitter (preferably using Fit Kit dummy pedals) then no shoe will work very well.

Older Sidi Genius 5. And a forgettable assortment of cheaper SPD-based shoes going back 10 years.

[Oct 08, 2005]
secondcoming

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks nice; seems to be good quality

No additional stiffness in the sole compared to the regular Genius 5.

This shoe is not any stiffer in the sole than the regular Genius 5. I was very disappointed in the performance. I actually rode one of my current shoes (Genius 4) on one foot while riding the Hi Tech carbon fiber on the other. They felt like the same shoe! I certainly hope that Sidi has changed this for the new Genius 5.5.

Carnac Legend; Time Profile

[May 20, 2005]
Eric_H

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Sidi design and closures, low stack height of sole, durable Lorica material, parts availability.

Carbon sole inserts are not really carbon and IMO don't contribute much to the design. Price is high, damn Euro.

The G5 Carbons are very nice shoes, classical Sidi build with some nice upgrades including the soft arch compression strap and the "secure" velcro closures (velcro with serrated teeth in it). However, the carbon soles on this model are a bit of misnomer. They are as Sidi calls them "Hi-Tech Carbon" but really they are just thermoplastic with a small percentage of carbon fibers in the injection. Compared to the full carbon plates on the Ergo 1 or the 2004 Genius 4 Carbon, these are not as stiff (I have the Ergo 1s as well). The G5 Carbons are probably closer to the regular Genius 5 in stiffness, and I would suggest to most buyers that if you are considering this shoe it is probably better to save $60 and get the regular G5, or bite the bullet for the Ergo 1s.

Sidi Tecno, Genius 3, Shadow, Energy 2, Ergo 1. Carnac Ellipse, Quartz. Time Equipe Pro, Equipe Pro CX. I always come back to Sidi!

[Mar 30, 2005]
A4B45200

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, super comfortable, and way cool looking.

Hard to justify $280 pair of shoes...but oh well.

After debating whether or not to shell out for the carbon models over the standard G5s, I went ahead and splurged on theese. I have about 100 miles on these shoes in the week or so I had it. So far so good. I like the fact they are super light and don't even notice them. In fact the only time I notice them on my feet is when I stare in admiration as to how cool they look!! At first, I noticed they have high arch supports. But after a few miles, the arch supports seemed to have compressed and fits perfectly. That happened each time I started out for a ride. Must be still 'breaking' in. My 7 year old Nikes that I replaced would cause my feet to ache after 10 miles. It had many pressure points and hot spots. I just learned to deal with it until I exprienced the G5 Carbons. These things keep my feet cool (in SoCal, so that's important) and nothing hurts. Power transfer is excellent as I can tell these shoes are not flexing under power. Even during hard ascents (standing up), these things just don't quit! After a 30 mile ride, I can actually stand up w/o pain in my feet. That alone was worth the price of these shoes (telling myself that).

Sidi Zeta Carbon