Sidi Genius 5 Narrow Lorica Shoes

• Narrower feet
  • Slender cut upper

[Jul 14, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice and tight for powering anywhere in the pedal stroke. Unbelievably durable. One heel pad and some new velcro in almost 20k miles.

Sidi should include a decent insert at its price point.
While exceptionally comfortable with no hot spots on Speedplay, or Look, the toe box in the regular size couln't get tight enough, while the slims of the same size are shorter? Its as if the hug around the foot is better with the narrow version, but they went too far in tightening the toe box (ball of foot area).

Mainly want to comment on using Sidi's '45' and '45 S' which I believe denotes the narrow, or slim, version. I've found that while both pairs of Genius 4 shoes are 45, the 45 S is materially shorter, not just narrower. I haven't tried a 45.5 S vs 45, but wonder if they are the same length? I have a Dr Scholl's and a Specialized insert in my 45 regulars and still wrench the velcro .5-1 inch past its contact point.

[Apr 23, 2007]
Bob Nay

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, fit, stiff soles, style.

None that I have experienced to date.

I have narrow feet and it is always difficult to find shoes, particularly athletic shoes, that fit properly. Most retail clerks will tell you to go down a size so the width will decrease --- not a good idea. These shoes fit perfectly. Very comfortable. Ligt weight. Don't seem to wear. And they look good.

[Jul 07, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Padding under ratchet strap helps dissipate the forces of a tight fit.

Expensive. Lack of ventilation. Limited cleat placement for non-SPD cleats.

Genius 5 shoe lacks some important features. First, no ventilation holes in front of sole - OK for moderate/cool climates but just awful in warmer weather. Second, confined toe box may drive you to purchase a size or two too big. Third, limited cleat fore/aft cleat placement when using the Look cleat holes. SPD holes have good fore/aft range. Just relegated these to SPD/spin use after getting hot spots with my Speedplay pedals.

Shimano, Diadora.

[May 07, 2006]
djconnel

OVERALL
Strength:

ratchet mechanism, availability of multiple widths, decent arch support, stiff sole.

fit isn't as good as custom shoes, but then at less than half the price....

This review is for the "Mega" version, not the narrow

"If the shoe fits..." and for me, this one does. Despite having a foot which Brannocks out at 41D, and the Megas are rated for far wider dimensions, I found the room in the toe area afforded by the Sidi Megas to be much more comfortable than the standard width. This shoe is almost as comfortable on my foot as my previous shoes, custom Rocket 7's, which gave up the ghost after 4 years of (ab)use. The Sidi rachet mechanism is the best I've used, with quick and precise adjustments, both loosening and tightening, possible "sur la route". The Sidis are well made, replacement parts are readily available, and arch support is prominent compared to most of the non-custom competition (Carnac excepted), Interesting observation: One of my shoes weighed out on the shop gram scale at 305 grams, while a pair of size 42 (one larger), conventional width, $399 Sidi carbon-soled shoes was 310, 5 grams heavier. So don't drop big notes on the carbon-soled shoes to save weight without checking you're actually doing so. The velcro straps have rubber bumpers which are supposed to inhibit slipping -- a good idea, it seems. Overall: excellent shoe.

Rocket 7, Carnac LeMond

[Apr 18, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

light, buckle, nice looking,

wait and see, the buckle takes all the damage in a crash?

Done a few rides in them now. they have been very good. Stiff sole, nice and tight around the heel, light, stiff. I have always had with skiny feet, so these fit perfect.

[Jun 02, 2005]
D-Town

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, comfortable.

Price, but you get what you pay for.

This review is for the Genius 5 Lorica shoes (but I don't believe mine are the narrow variety - so I can't speak to sizing issues). I've had these only for a few months, but they are very light and comfortable out of the box. The best thing I can probably say is that after getting used to them the first few rides, I never think about them during a ride - never too hot, heavy, they don't pinch, no hot spots, etc. I can't think of a performance related reason not to like them (at least now, we'll see how they hold up).