Specialized 05 Comp Carbon Road Shoe Shoes

Body Geometry design with a F.A.C.T. sole make for an incredible combination of performance and superior comfort for the enthusiast road rider

[Aug 01, 2007]
Kurt Bounds

OVERALL
Strength:

Price since I got a great deal on the shoe

non other than it does not have that high-end flash appeal

After a 10+ year layoff from either running or cycling, I have gotten back into working out again. I picked these shoes up on clearance at a local Downtown Chicago store and have really liked their feel and fit. No presure points and the neoprene sock liner provides a snug but non binding fit which allows expansion of your foot inside of the shoe.

I wear tested a New Balance cycling shoe back in the late 80's

[Aug 22, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, Price, ventalation, carbon sole

slight squeak - may need more breakin time

I just purchased a pair of Specialized carbon comp shoes after trying on about 10 different shoes. I couldn't find anything with all the features at $150 or less. The neoprene booty replaces the tounge so the fit is perfect. The three straps are easy to adjust. The grippy things on the bottom heel and toe actually provide a bit of traction. The mesh works well to keep the toes cool. I'm not sure if the hump does what they claim; however, they are so comfortable that you forget that they are on. The sole is unbelievably stiff.

Time Equipe, Lake

[Mar 27, 2005]
bas

OVERALL
Strength:

Good entry level shoe without the price. Comfortable. Cool.

none really?

I have the 04 model which looks like this model. I don't feel the bump in the sole like the other guy does. Seems to be a pretty stable shoe - price was about right for me (allowed me to get DuraAce pedals). If I really pull up on the upstroke - I can feel the shoe trying to catch up. These are my first bike shoes - so I don't know if that is normal/expected or not. I did hurt my right foot in these shoes on a very big hill (18%) once, that hurt.. not sure if a different hill and amount I was trying to push on my feet, or the shoe. But that has heeled up.

teva sandals

[Mar 23, 2005]
johngfoster

OVERALL
Strength:

COMFORTABLE Light (590 gm/pr for sz 42) Stiff Great value for a CF road shoe

Laquer on CF soles chips, but I guess that is common to any CF shoe.

These are great shoes. I was immediately impressed the moment I tried them on. Then I noticed a bump under the ball of my foot, which made me wonder. Apparently this is a design "feature" intended to help spread the metatarsal bones in the foot. I wondered if it would bother me on longer rides but so far no problems whatsoever. I was having bad problems with my feet going numb with my previous shoes, so this was particularly important to me. The first ride out with these shoes I had no numbness at all. I am very impressed. I also like the neoprene sock-type tongue replacement. This is very comfortable. The straps are adequate and the ventilation good. They are also stiff (carbon fiber sole)

Specialized Sport Mountain Shoe tried on : Sidi's, Shimano, Nike, Cat 1, Addidas, Diadora

[Jan 24, 2005]
poshscot

OVERALL
Strength:

shoes look good and are understated in black and gun metal. very comfortable and good fit for wider feet. stiff sole that is lasting so far.

not sure if the body geometry thing is a gimick - still not sure exactly what it is or if it is making a difference to me or not.

i have wide feet and have struggled to find shoes that dont make my middle toes numb after 30 mins. having tried shoes from virtually every maker: luck to DMT to diadora, nike, duegi, sidi, time, carnac, vittoria etc etc etc ... i found a stockist of specialized and finally found shoes that fit. the shoes are light and have a thin but very stiff sole (considerably more so than the diadoras i had last). the clear lacquer has chipped in a couple of places but doesnt seem to have affected the carbon weave or its integrity. the 3 straps are adequately long enough and allow for a good amount of adjustment. a feature i particularly like is the lack of tongue - instead the shoe has a kind of stretchy neoprene sock that holds the foot snuggly.

vitoria, duegi, diadora, addidas.