Specialized 05 Comp Road Shoe Shoes

Enough features to satisfy a pro, yet still accessible by privateers and quality conscious enthusiasts. Updated for 2005 with our M-Lock buckle. Top performer in its category.

[Oct 23, 2008]
stbrendan619

OVERALL
Strength:

Price is right.
Don't look too bad.
Ratchet gives a nice secure feel.
roomy toe box.

The paint wears of the straps after a while, but you can remove the rest of the paint with acetone.

These are my 1st pair of road shoes, but I tries on others like Nike and Sidi. These fit my foot the best by far. I have had problems with ingrown toe nails because of my big feet, but These had plenty of room in all the right places. I have the US 14. I usually wear 13.

[Oct 02, 2008]
allez

OVERALL
Strength:

Great fit out of the box on a hard to fit wider foot.

no air vent in the sole makes me wonder if I made the right choice

Been a mtb rider since '94 and got the road bug this year. Like the bike selection process I took long and tried many including: shimano, time, forte, and louis garneau (which are a great fit but cost $40 more); The SIDI genius in stock were too uncomfortable and getting the wide is special order on top of costing lots more whether at LBS or online. In my haste I mail ordered pearl izumi but they were painfully narrow. I came to terms that my feet are not only small and wide at ball but my right foot protrudes at the bunyon making it hardest to fit. This model was on clearance and I tried it on on a fluke, kept on one foot to compare with others. In the end I only struggled with the ugly silver color but decided the price was too good to pass up. Judging by my first outing, it was an excellent decision. No doubt I'll buy other shoes (still want SIDI) and these will leave the BG lineup but I expect they will be with me for a long time relegated to the trainer.

shimano
pearl izumi

[May 03, 2007]
Fergal OHalloran

OVERALL
Strength:

Ratchet closing system excellent.
Color is perfect
Soles are good and stiff

None so far

At last a pair of shoes that offer comfort like my old pair. Sizing varies compared to other manufacturers so be careful if buying online.I wanted a pair of shoes that offered a rachet closing system without having to pay a fortune. Specialized beat all others for price, comfort, durability.

Diadora.

[Jan 03, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Perfect angle

Buckle feels flimsy but works fine in practice.

The body geometry system really works. The first time you try these shoes they feel different, your feet/legs are at a slightly different angle but it feels just so right.
I'll never use anything but Specialized now.
I use size 47 and have flattish and narrow feet, these shoes are very comfortable.

Sidi Genius

[Sep 18, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Flat foot riders unite!
Wide toe box. Wide, flat sole.
Wallet not opened wide to buy SIDI shoes.

No toe vents? Oh well, I don't mind heat if my feet are comfy.

HALLELUHAH! for Specialized! I've got wide, flat feet. Pearl Izumi narrow. Nike narrow. SIDI narrow with a rock for arch support. Lake what? Forté CR310 ouch! Shimano R075 okay but slightly tight toe box.

The Specialized titanium colored Comp Roads sparkle in the sunlight, providing a roomy toe box, no pinching of the outside edge of my foot, and a very flat surface for my very flat feet. It feels as if I'm walking up an escalator, not wedging my feet in a rain gutter. The little raised center insole seems to alleviate any possibility of hot spots under the ball of the feet. My feet will continue to be comfortable long after I'd give up from leg cramping or exhaustion.

SIDI Genius 5, Forté CR310, Shimano R075

[Jun 08, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff sole
ratcheting closure
great color
plenty of room for wide feet

none thus far

Bought this shoe on sale since it is last years model. IT's a great shoe, very comfortable, provides plenty of room. I like the ratcheting closure system, easy to tighten up while on the bike. Love the design. Very stiff sole.

Nike

[Apr 29, 2006]
big wheel4300

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort,quality,and look cool.

none so far.

This review is for the 06 model.very comfortable shoe,stiff sole,very good quality.

nike, specialized, axo

[Apr 29, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff sole, spacious toebox, Specialized customer service great to deal with

odd sizing

Great shoes! Sole is stiffer than I expected. There is more space in the toebox than in other shoes I've used. Ratchet adjustment mechanism works well for me - even if it's not as nice as in some other shoes. Sizing is odd though. Virtually all my shoes are 42 - cycling, running, walking - and that's the size I intially ordered. But Specialized' 42 was waaaay to small for me, and I had to order 43. These fit me very well, and the exchange process was painless.

Sidi, Perl Izumi, Adidas

[Jul 02, 2005]
shoerhino

OVERALL
Strength:

Most comfortable shoe I've used, which is the most important factor.

Rachtet buckles wear quickly and are not as good as competitor's systems. Loose fitting heel Sizing runs large

I purchased these shoes because I was having some problems with numbness and hotspots in the old shoes I had been wearing and they looked like a good deal. Now that I've used them for the last few months, I wanted to share my opinion of the shoes with you. These are HANDS DOWN the most comfortable shoe I've ever used. The sole is very rigid and protects your feet from hotspots and the ratchet buckle allows you to easily tighten the shoe if needed after a few miles. They seem reasonable breathable and look pretty cool, IMHO. The two problems I've noticed with the shoe are the heel cup and the ratchet buckle system. There is not a molded heel cup in this shoe and my heel tends to slide in the shoe a little bit. I might have chosen a size that was too big for me because the specialized shoes seem to run larger (a 43 is normally a 9 - in specialized, it's a 10!). I see that the pro carbon road shoes have a molded heel cup and I would look closer into that. The second problem is with the ratchet buckles. The buckles are not even close to as nice as the SIDI buckles and as the shoes get older, the release mechanism is becoming harder and harder to push. On a value scale, for $100, you cannot go wrong although if I had it to do over, I would try the carbon pro's for the improved heel support.

Sidi Genius 5 Shimano R097 Nike somethings

[Jul 01, 2005]
nwilkes

OVERALL
Strength:

Cool ratchety gizmo. Keeps the shoe snug when sprinting or slowly mashing. Great insole. Roomy toebox (I swear Sidi makes shoes for ballerinas).

Titanium color is lame. And they ran out of my size in white and blue. A little on the pricey side, but I am kinda cheap. These combined knock them down to a 4 overall.

Best shoe I have tried on. Trying this on was just like trying on my first pair of Nike Bowerman running shoes. I was a bit weary, but then with both feet in I stood up and man are these shoes comfortable. No hotspots/number toes. I feel more aligned on the pedals. Good power transfer, long lasting comfort and snug, but comfortable fit. I was having foot trouble on long or hilly rides, but I think these have solved the problem. Ask to try the half sizes, most shops do not stock them, but Specialized has them in the warehouse. It could make a huge difference.

Sidi's. Pearl Izumi.