Specialized BG Comp Shoes

• Stiff injection molded and carbon plate reinforced sole
  • Micro adjusting M-Lock buckle for secure closure
  • Real leather upper
  • 3-bolt cleat pattern

[Sep 21, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff. Feel OK when riding

Can't get them off. I wore them to work one day. Got lauged at but, hey, they wouldn't come off :-)

These shoes suck. Once you get them on, they do OK. Try getting them off. I dare you. The ratcheting mechanism on the upper most part of the shoe is extremely difficult to release. So you end up pulling them off and then messing with them to loosen them up for the next ride. Should have just used three velcro sraps or something that actually works well.

Diadora, Paramount

[May 16, 2007]
jsavner

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff, great ventilation and love the buckle fit.

Feel the vibration from the road at the seems between the carbon plate and the rest of the sole.

Had been riding with SPDs and MTN shoes for 10 years and decided it was time for a real road shoe. Origianlly thought the Sport would be enough, but then tried these one. The buckle makes all the difference for a great fit. I over pronate ALOT and had always used orthodics in my shoes. The BG insert works great. When the LBS helped me install the cleats we had the front backing plate break loose inside the shoe. Held in only with a bad of glue. We think we got it fixed.

Nike MTN Bike Shoe (so old can't read the name on them)

[Apr 21, 2007]
Ed

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness and comfort

Not completely carbon, but does have a carbon forefoot.

Very impressed. Whatever Specialized did, they did right. I bought a pair, because the LBS carried them and I needed a shoe quickly. My old shimano R215's tore during a spill. They were a little costly for a lower end Specialized shoe, however, they compare to competitors mid to top of the line shoes. Specialize put a lot into this shoe making it perform like hihger end models. Their new BG system instep really works as far a comfort and knee alignment. I've used many other brands and have found these to fit and perform nicely during crits and long club rides. They do size differently. I wear a size 11 running shoe (45 in Shimano and most other brands), but use a size 44 in Specialized. Unfortunately, Specialized products hold value and are hard to find at closeout or discount prices. It has been well worth it thus far.

Specialized BG Comp Carbon, Shimano R215, Northwave Revenge, Nike Poggio III, and DMT Ultimax RSX Carbon