Specialized BG Pro Carbon Shoes

• 3-Bolt cleat pattern

[Nov 28, 2010]
Kaddman

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, and the fit in the toe box is great. Soft on the foot and plenty cool. Don't seem to loosen up after your ride for a while.

Used to ride the Shimano Carbon but bought the Bg comps and I must say that this shoe is awesome. I will be getting a pair of mountain bike Bg comps as well.

Schimano and Sidi

[Mar 21, 2010]
Doug Robison

OVERALL
Strength:

Well made; stff.

Not a good fit if you pronate

I have using Specialized Comp Carbon shoes for the last 2 years but have "sweated" through them. I bought a discounted pair of 2009 Pro Carbon shoes at my LBS. Rode them for a week but had to return them due to pain on the bones just above my arches. The ratcheting strap on this model is attached with a screw, which is threaded into a hard plate on the medial side side of the shoes. My feet pronate (roll inwards), and I have large navicular bones, and this hard plate puts too much pressure on them. If your feet are similar, I would not recommend these shoes. Fortunately, my LBS took the shoes back, and I exchaned them for a pair of 2010 S-Works BOA shoes. So far they are excellent, and I will review them soon.

Specialized Comp Carbon

[Jan 13, 2010]
RRRoubaix

OVERALL
Strength:

FIT! Stiff!!! But yet, easy to walk in... Good insole, great arch support (for me at least), very tough, good looking, closure system allows a lot of adjustability. Everything you could want in a shoe (except it doesn't say "Sidi" on the side)

No snob appeal...

I love these shoes! I think shoe fit is so subjective that no one brand works for everyone- everyone told me to get Sidis, but when I tried them on, I hated them immediately. With the Specialized, it was just the opposite. I liked the next model up (w/ the Boa strap), but tried the Pro Carbon at the last minute and it fit me even better.
It's super comfortable, breathes well and doesn't give me any hot spots. It's super stiff but I can still walk around in them.

Pearl Izumi, Shimano, other Specialized.

[Jan 07, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable

Sizing off slightly

Upgraded from a pair of Cat carbons. The fit is infinitely better as is the latch mechanisms. I have a wider foot but these fit and feel great. Sizing was off as I wear a 12 US but had to get a pair of 46s. Comfort stays even on long rides of 3 + hours.

Cat Carbon

[Oct 21, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight and stiffness

Customer Service
Numbness
Shape pains
Screw Mount dug into skin causing extreme discomfort

I am the unfortunate of one of the worst road shoes ever made and marketed, the 2009 Pro Carbon Shoe by Specialized. First I started off with the 2008 S-works which caused numbness and slight discomfort, so I contacted Justin as Specialized and he said that he would exchange them for the 09 Pro (since I told him I had good luck with teh 07 pro), so I spent $20 to ship them back. After a week of waiting the Pros arrived in the mail and I put my cheats on to take them for a spin to see the new found comfort... What I was greeted by was strong discomfort, numbness and sharp stabbing pains in my right foot that made it unbearable to ride anymore than 1 block around my neighborhood. When I contacted Specialized again they said there was nothing that they could do and I was stuck with those shoes. When I told them that I was no longer going to be a Specialized Customer, all they said was:

"I am sorry to hear that. Good luck.
-Justin

Specialized Customer Service/Online Store
1137 South 3800 West
Salt Lake City UT 84104
877-808-8154"

So I will be tossing these shoes for something more comfortable and a company with better customer service... Also if anyone is interested in a Specialized Tarmac Pro, Specialized Helmet or a bunch of Specialized Tubes, Tires and a few other items from them please let me know since I never want to deal with them again....

Specialized Pros 2007 Model
Specialized S-Works 2008 Model

[Aug 30, 2008]
ICEAXE

OVERALL
Strength:

-very stiff full carbon sole with walking pads at toe & heel and textured cleat area
-Very adjustable instep strap--will make lots of people happy
-the ONLY shoes on the market that comes with an insole you would actually want to keep.
-synthetic leather doesn't stretch

-instep strap is a little stiff--this is the only thing I would change

Even at full price, not many companies give you what these shoes come with; considering what I paid for them, these are a steal. Shoe fit is a very subjective thing so I'll try describe the fit for all of you readers. The heel is pretty narrow with adequate depth, it really locks my heel in place. The rest of the shoe is on the narrower side of average with ample wiggle room in the toes (they are wider than Adidas & Sidi in equivalent sizes). The shoe has very sturdy feel to it (as opposed to the slipper feel of a Sidi). Some people critcize Specialized for trying to "fix" peoples' bio-mechanical problems; the reality is that the minority of people are "neutral" on their pedals. Overall the fit & finish of these shoes are excellent. If they fit your foot, you won't go wrong with these shoes.

Sidi Genius 5.5 HT Carbon, Sidi Genius (regular), Adidas pro racer carbon, Nike Altea plus Carbon, Diabora Speedracer Carbon.

[Aug 22, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Stiff

Not friendly to cranks.

Helped reduce the numbness I experience experience in my left foot but did not eliminate it. The x-strap is attached to the shoe with a plain screw which gouged my carbon crank pretty deeply before I noticed it. If you tend to have some foot rub against your crank beware..

Sidi

[Feb 11, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight
Stiff
Great power transfer
Durable
Keeps your feet cool

The white gets dirty really quickly
Hot spots
Numbness

I use these shoes every day for traning and overall they are a great shoe, very light weight, very stiff, great power transfer, will stand up to getting hit by a car and still be ridable, and keeps your feet nice and cool. I have them in white which is a downside since they do get very dirty very quickly. I do have problems with hot spots and so numbness in the toes, loosening the lower velcro straps helps a little bit, but not all that much.

Pearl Izumi Juice
2008 Specialized BG SWorks

[Nov 29, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

STIFF, perfect adjusting, good looking.
GREAT BG SOLE SYSTEM, keeps your knees in line.

Not too aerodinamic. Price?

I had old Diadora shoes and I needed new pair. I was looking for stiffnes, lightweight (290g each), and microlink adjustement for traninig days. Also good looking and not too expensive. Carbon fiber sole and this adjustment system increase price, but what the heck?

Sidi Ergo Carbon, DMT, Time, Diadora.

[Oct 12, 2007]
Jeff D

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, durable, very light, make me look like a far better rider than I am.

Pricey (worth it IMO). Don't cook me dinner after my ride.

The best 2 C-Notes I've spent on cycling. Period. They're that comfortable. Different folks like different shoes, but for me these felt better than anything else I could find. I didn't intend to spend this much, but thought I'd try them on just for grins (actually had some BG Carbon Comps in my hand ready to check out). As soon as I put them on I knew this was the shoe for me. Crashed bad about a week later, and although the toe and ratchet are all scuffed up they're still fully funtional...so durability is there as well. Stiffness is great. I continue to be impressed by the BG line (also use their gloves and saddle).

PI Juice.