Specialized BG S-Works Shoes

• Light, tough, water-resistant Micromatrix upper

[Sep 06, 2010]
jbstebbens

OVERALL
Strength:

- these shoes fit really well. Everyone has a different foot, I know, but these shoes seem to fit me better than any shoes I've ever had, mainly due to the BOA type lacing system these shoes have, as opposed to the velcro straps, which never seem to stay tight enough. The nice thing about the BOA system, is that you can crank on the tightness of the shoes, and it never loosens up. It's locked in.

- these shoes also have a sort of gloss or protective coating on the leather. It's some type of clear coat or something. They don't seem to stain or retain the dirt like most other brands do, and they are very easy to wipe off and get clean again.

- the price point. For comparable shoes, you're looking at $500 for the good ones like Lake's or a pair of the top Bont's. I would still venture a guess to say that neither of those $500 shoes have the fit/finish and function as well as the Specialized do. I didn't buy these Specialized shoes on a budget, I wanted the best shoes regardless of cost. What really sold me and caught my attention was the use of these shoes by Alberto Contador, Andy Schleck, Jens Voigt and Fabian Cancellara.

- although it's minor, there isn't any reflective materal on the back of the shoe. Sometimes, I'm still riding when the sun is going down and I'd like there to be something on the shoes that reflects the headlights of a car.

- I have the 2011 red/white pair and the red really isn't 'fire engine' red, like I would like it to be. It's a 'bright' red which almost borders on the start of a pinkish type tone. They could have done better on a nice attention getting classic red.

This review is for the 2011 shoe I bought from R&A Cycles in Brooklyn, whom I very highly recommend.

I've been riding/racing for 26 years and I have say: these are the best shoes I have ever had.

Specialized shoes in the past have typically ran big for the size you choose, but I'm not sure this is quite the same as it used to be. I find a very close fit as compared with my Shimano shoes. My Shimano's are 41's and the Specialized are 41.5. That's pretty close I think. Years ago, there was almost a full size difference.

The BOA lacing system is also a real plus. You can snug up and 'lock' the shoe very evenly with this type of closure system as opposed to regualr velcro straps. The locking ratchet type buckles on most shoes do work well(even though there is only one of them on the shoe-like Sidi/Shimano/etc.) but the BOA system seems to pull the shoes more evenly around your entire foot. As has been said by others, it's like wearing a sock.

On my first ride with these shoes, I could immediately notice an improvement in my spin. I could apply a good amount of force to the shoes around the entire pedal stroke without any movement of my foot in the shoe. It was a really good fit enabled by this BOA system, I think. My spin improved right away and I'm doing 115-120rpm as opposed to my typical 110-115.

The sole is stiff enough and doesn't seem to be any different than the other shoes I've tried. I'm only 145lbs, so maybe a heavier guy could tell a difference more than I could.

The shoe does have a slightly off camber angle of the sole. Specialized has plenty of information about this on their site. Supposedly, with a regular flat sole, it creates alot of pressure on your knee as your knee tries to combat the unnatural angle it has been put in for the pedaling motion. So the Specialized shoe will actually put your foot on the pedal at a slight angle. If you want, you can buy shims and footbeds/innersoles to not have this angle that is already built into the shoes - go to the store and look at shoe if you can.

So I was a bit nervous about how I would adapt to this after I've pedaled in 'flat', no angle on the sole type shoes for 26 years. But maybe it's an improvement, right? I clicked in and took off, eagerly awaiting the difference and wondering if I would like it or not. The thing is: after a 54 mile ride that first day with the shoes, I really couldn't feel any difference. I'm sure there was one, but I couldn't feel it at all. The shoes fit and rode like I expected(actually better than expected)and I didn't experience anything negative to complain about or to try and correct later.

These shoes look good too. They are really bright white and are very easy to keep clean

Sidi, Time, Shimano, Carnac, Rivat

[Jun 01, 2010]
CRSturdivant

OVERALL
Strength:

STIFF!!! LIGHT!!! COMFORTABLE!!! What more could you ask for?

None whatsoever!!!

By far the most comfortable shoes I have ever put on my feet, that includes all other type of shoes also!!! My feet are a bit wider than average, and they fit my feet like they were made specifically for me. I tossed the stock footbeds and put in PolySorb runner footbeds (I just found these to be the best for my feet). I love that I can use shims to align my knees as well as possible. They are so light it's ridiculous. My favorite feature is that they are simple! No fancy ratchets or complicated parts that will inevitably break at some point. The material is relatively thin which is great for airflow, although durability might be questionable over the next couple years. Overall 10/10!!! Buy these shoes!!!

Sidi Ergo II shoes, Specialized BG Sport shoes, cheapo Cannondale shoes.

[Jan 27, 2010]
brandonadyer

OVERALL
Strength:

Light
Stiff, I mean really stiff (for a while)
Comfortable
Fit like slippers
Specialized customer service & warranty
'09 - looks good w/o being too flash

Expensive
Durability
Stock footbed sucks (all stock inserts suck)
'09 - boa closure gets sticky
'09 - depending on how much you are in and out of the shoe, the wire may break
'10 - way too flashy
'10 - (predict) the sole will go soft

I just got the new '10 version. The following reviews the '09 S-Works Boa shoe. I got them in February and started riding them at the end of May. I have put 10-25 hours a week into them since then, until yesterday.

Hands down they are the best fitting, most comfortable, lightest shoe I've had - I have fairly wide, very flat feet. They were (originally) ridiculously stiff, have a nice wide toe box, good adjustment and make your foot feel like it is securely locked to the pedal.

The sole, unfortunately, became very flexible after about 8 months of riding. It was noticeable under normal riding - the shoe lost the trait for which I got them, stiffness. This may be in part due to my flat feet (think absolutely no arch) and my tendency to pronate.

I rode them through the winter, they got dirty, stinky and generally beat up. The stitching, glue etc has held up great. They clean up nicely with a little Simple Green.

I took them back to the bike shop, told them it was a joke that $350 MSRP shoes turn to jelly after 8 months of riding. They looked at me like I was kidding until they twisted the sole and saw the 1/4"+ flex.

Specialized has great customer service - they warrantied them on the spot and I walked out the door with a new pair of kicks...which I am sure will be warrantied again this coming December after the '10 sole goes soft.

Nike, Mavic, Sidi

[Oct 04, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

-Stiff
-Lightweight
-Boa lacing system
-Easy adjustable

-Sometimes hard to get the lacing system in the extra loop
-Severe Numbness and discomfort.

Great lightweight high quality shoes with a tendenacy to cause you feet to go numb and take all the joy out of your ride. I bought these shoes since I enjoyed the Carbon Pro BG shoes and decided I wanted to move up a level. I am wishing that I would've stuck with the new Pros. I have had many rides where my feet were numb the whole ride because of these shoes, a problem I have never had before with any shoe. This shoe takes all the joy out of any ride.

-Specialized BG Carbon Pro
-Pearl Izumi

[Jun 10, 2008]
Stephen Morris

OVERALL
Strength:

Design. Fit. Quality of finished product.

Not entirely convinced by the plasticky material interface between the foot and top of the tongue.

Have had Sidi's upto now. Wonderful shoes, but would have had to pay another £60 for the Sidi Ergo 2 and spares for Sidis have been recently difficult to obtain. The Specialized gamble has worked, so far. Excellent fit (almost as good as Sidi), but better quality control and a far better footbed.

Sidi Dominator. Sidi Dragon

[Apr 16, 2008]
rbutler

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding comfort/fit/power transfer. A warranty policy that exemplifies the term 'customer-focused.'

Of course, sticker shock is not an uncommon reaction. And relative value is predicated on rider and riding. But unless one is going the orthopedic/custom-made route, I don't expect there's a better (and better-designed or better warranteed) shoe on the market. As others have noted, one gets what one pays for with these most excellent boots. The one difficulty -- loosening the BOA fastener at speed -- appears moot with the improved ratchet system on the '08 model.

Having returned to the road after prolonged stint of favoring the MTB, these replaced a pair of decade-old Lake/Shimano lace-ups and the riding experience -- no surprise here -- is much the better for it. Borderline-debilitating hot-spots, a problem on longer outings on the flats in the old , are a fading memory. The power-transfer is sublime and the fit superb. I tend to log a lot of miles in favorable weather and I've carved up the outsoles a fair bit in the eight months I've worn them but to no seeming affect on performance. It'll be interesting to see how long the non-replaceable, plastic heeltap holds out. But it's likely to be some time, I reckon, before we find out. To wit, the material at the heel/sole interface on the '07 model has begun to split. More cosmetic in the early stages, but certainly boding performance issues. Thankfully, given the tariff, the customer service is first-rate. To wit: I live in Europe, and though I bought the boots in the US, swapping them out for a new pair in Germany was a hassle-free process. The company truly stands behind what it sells. And unlike its American counterpart, the German dealer provided a fitting. I'm looking forward to new insoles (blue, rather than the red that came as standard on the '07 pair) and a shimmed footbed to compensate a leg-length discrepancy in the '08 model replacements.

None can compare.

[Jan 09, 2008]
skygodmatt

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightest and most comfortable shoe out.
Pretty stiff but not as stiff as the Shimano SH-215'. Specialized is more comfortable.

Canted sole didn't do me much benefit.

This review is for the 2008 model.

This shoe is super comfortable. The most comfortable I have owned ever. The newer designed boa enclosure is heaven. They are about the lightest out.

I purchased the BLUE footbeds/shim kit to go with this shoe. Those fit my arch perfectly. I am glad I did.

After a few days, my knees starting hurting. This was a big surprise since that's what these shoes are made to prevent. I noticed that before I bought these shoes, my pedal stroke was perfect. So, what I did, is install the shims that neutalize the canted sole back to a flat non-canted surface. These shims were provided in the insole kit that I purchased. Presto, no more knee pain. It just proves that some select riders shouldn't go with the body geometry. Why fix a problem that doesn't exist? According to the Specialized dealer, I am a minority and that MOST riders benefit from this.

I love the shoes.

Shimano 215, SIDI 5.5

[Nov 16, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, comfort, stiffness, power transfer

Price, tough to drop $300 on a pair of shoes.

I got my new '08 pair and I'm in love. Extremely comfortable, stiff and light. I no longer have the hot foot I used to get with my Shimano 215s. Basically I forget they're there, which is exactly what I want in a shoe. Amazing power transfer too.

Shimano R215, Older Diadoras

[Sep 03, 2007]
tomacita

OVERALL
Strength:

Super stiff. Easily adjustable- even on the fly. VERY comfy. Very cool- lots of aeration. Look pretty cool.

None yet- I won't be afraid to let you know though...

GREAT!!! These shoes are more comfortable than my nikes or New Balances. I also have a "low volume" narrow foot and the ratcheting lace eliminates unequal tightening. Super stiff. All my effort is put right to my crank arms. I love them and they're worth every penny! These are my first road specific shoes- just evolved from mtb SPD pedals on my road and mountain bike. GO SPD R!

M-520's not very similar but it made me wish I hadn't thought I should use the same shoes and pedal time for road and mtb

[Mar 25, 2007]
jerry fischetti

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, stiffness, very light. comfort.

expensive, but you get what you pay for..

Incredible comfort and efficiency. The ratcheting/cable combination snugs up the shoes like a form-fitting glove. No more "strap indents" cutting into the instep. Just feels like you are on the bike working....no interference of a shoe.

no equal.