Specialized Pro Road Shoes

Our premiere road racing shoe that is an uncompromising combination of materials, engineering and technology to help you achieve the most performance possible while keeping you comfortable, all the while reducing the risk of riding induced injury.

[May 03, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

I'm happy with almost every aspect of this shoe. The metatarsal button is what feels odd initially, but I've ceased to notice it during most rides. Even when I do, it's not uncomfortable. I don't know if it helps prevent numbness, but I don't suppose it's doing any harm. The heel hold is outstanding. Ventilation is very good. It's not as stiff a shoe as some top-end models, but it's plenty stiff. The overall fit is outstanding (for me, at least). Generally roomy, but not wide. The best part is the "varus wedge" - the outward tilt of the sole - which keeps my knees in superior alignment. The arch support is fantastic. All other shoes now feel as unsupportive as sandals. Overall, these shoes feel as though they lock my foot into place - the right place, that is - like a ski boot, but do so with as much comfort as any other shoe.

It's not abnormally heavy, but there are much lighter shoes out there. The cleat positioning puts my right heel (only my right, though) slightly too far out. The excellent ventilation means that I'm always having to use heavy socks and/or toe covers. I can live with this, though.

It feels odd initially, but it's helped my biomechanics and now other shoes feel hopelessly unsupportive. Very comfortable, too. The value rating is based on what I actually paid. All top-end products are a poor value compared to the second-tier items, but I can't help myself.

No other road shoes, but several mountain bike shoes: Shimano (something old, newer 320), Nike (Cairns), and Northwave (Stealth).

[Jul 29, 2003]
Welsh

OVERALL
Strength:

All of the above - they work for me!

a bit more weight, but with all the features built in it explains why...

I know that Sidi's are good. I used them untill I saw this shoe. It has a metatarsal button built into the shoe that speads the bones of the foot during pedaling to prevent the nerves from being crushed, as well as a longitudinal support which holds the natural arch of the foot to aid in power transfer, as well as a Varus wedge which holds the foot in a stable position to prevent "knee wobble" and rolling of the foot. The rep at Dukes told me that the shoe is amazing, but works better for those with a more pronounced arch and narrow profile to their foot. That was me! Having a poor left knee was one of my reasons for selecting this model. After months of riding I am a convert. No, absolutely no numbness, no "hot spots", solid power transfer, and easy adjustment to boot. Good looks and solid construction help too. Also, one major, was that I use Speedplay X2 pedals which have a more pronounced cleat and the BG Pro has a wonderful rear heal tab for walking that makes the cleat much easier to walk in.

Sidi shoes - last pair was 1.5 yrs old. I was going to get the Genius 4's but these shoes had more features that I needed for pedalling comfort.

[Apr 26, 2003]
javier

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff and confortable

A bit overpriced and heavier than SIDI.

Great shoes, fit like a glove great geometry. After many miles of riding confort is not an issue with this shoes.

Shimano carbon and SIDI Genious.

[Apr 14, 2003]
Shihtzu on EPO

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff

body geometry kinda makes toes numb heavier than sidis

Good shoes. Some guy who reviewed the comp gave it a 1/5 because he said he couldn't get the cleat forward enough. I don't know what he's talkin about? My cleats fit right where i want them to. I'm giving them a 4 because they are a bit overpriced.

sidi, gaerne, shimano