Specialized S-Works Road Shoes

Developed with personal feeback from World Champion Mario Cipollini, this ultralight shoe uses three proven technologies to set a new standard for racing shoe fit, performance and comfort

[Aug 20, 2007]
$$ Deficient cyclist

OVERALL
Strength:

Boa strap, colour schemes, weight, insoles.

Tongue, boa strap, durability, heel (walking), weight distribution, repair options, customer service. Poor leather/overall construction.

Provides no customer service after sale. A crash took out the dial and took over a month to receive replacement part. I was consistently reminded by staff that specialized had no obligation to assist me because it was my fault it broke... Thank you very much.

Australian specialized dealers (from my sample size of 3...) are abysmal. Durability is not a high priority for their products. Which is fine, if you can afford to pay $450 every 6 months for a pair of shoes.

NB: Not very speedplay friendly.

Sidi Ergo 2 - Delivers everything you could want in a shoe, excellent after sales service.

[Jul 13, 2007]
Balderick

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff and comfortable. Closure system is quick to use and the shoe is smooth looking

BOA closure system uses a single lace, which can (and did for me) break. Another related problem is I can not get a new lace until late August 07 (posting this in early July 07), which is a pain in the proverbial. US Specialzed site won't ship outside USA.

Love the shoes, which have a very very stiff sole. The BOA closure system is great, but can be difficult to loosen just a small amount - you may end up completely releasing the closure mechanism. The BOA lace is strong but when it breaks (as mine did)the whole closure system releases - not great if it happens in a sprint.

Specialized Road shoe

[Dec 09, 2006]
Chuck

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything, if you need a normal to narrow toe box. Specialized is great with returns.

Pricey, but worth it.

This is for the 2006 model These were almost the shoe for me. The sole is great, the BOA closure is great, the toe box was too small for me.

Shimano R75, R151

[Jul 27, 2006]
benbo_21

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff sole, VERY comfortable, easy to put on. Just turn the knob and go. Too bad they are hard to walk in, I'd wear em all day long!

The release mechanism is not the easiest. But I think it is more getting used to. Other than that, a great buy! They are pricey However

This review is for the 06 S-Works carbon Road shoe.

[Jul 17, 2006]
libor.krasny

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff
comfortable
look great

the carbon sole gets easily scratched

The carbon sole is VERY stiff. Previously, I was using SIDI Revolution 2 cycling shoes (they lasted 15 years!). Although I liked the SIDIs, the Specialized shoes are an order of magnitude better. With the stiff sole, pedalling is much smoother and power transfer is more efficient (I am using Speedplay pedals). The insole is great - it fits like a glove. The varus wedge feature (side to side tilt) is the right thing for me - with SIDIs, I had to run 3 LeWedges under the cleats. The Boa closure works fine, definitely better than just velcro straps.
I believe these shose made me faster, especially on climbs.

SIDI Revolution 2

[Jul 08, 2006]
Akula34

OVERALL
Strength:

1. Boa closure system applies even pressure to your foot.
2. Little or no break-in period.
3. Body Geometry design wizardry is no gimmick!
4. Very stiff sole.
5. Different footbeds available to adjust the cant of your foot. (stock worked for me)
6. Velcro strap works well to adjust to the width of your foot.
7. Comfortable as slippers!!!
8. Value when compared to same level Sidi or Carnacs.

1. Doesn't have replaceable heel like Sidi.
2. Hope you like red.
3. Sizing. European sizes are one size smaller than most other makers. Better try them on first!

This review is for the '06 version. They are the best shoes I have ever used. They were the most comfortable shoes I have ridden from the very moment I put them on. I can only imagine how they feel when they are completely broken in. I have been using Shimano shoes for the longest time, which I was happy with for the most part. I had a lot of room in the toe box and used the straps to get the desired snugness. These shoes snuggle your feet more so sizing them was much different than I was used to. But this seems to even out the pressure distribution to your feet. No hot spots!

Shimano R122, Shimano 215, Sidi Genius 4, Old pair of unknown model Shimano.

[May 30, 2006]
zagijimzoo

OVERALL
Strength:

The round rachet device for tightening the shoes is amazing! Works really well to tighten up the whole shoe with just a simple turn of the dial! Adjusting while riding is so simple now! just reach down and turn the dial and your snugged up! They are just a little bit more comfortable then the pros but the ease of tightening the shoes with the round dial vs the standard rachet is worth the extra pennies! Good bye velcro!

None!

Review is for the 06 BG S-Works Road Shoe!
Buy them!

[Dec 31, 2004]
anuywaka

OVERALL
Strength:

super light comfortable stiff ease of maintaining closure tightness

have to get use to extra long tongue that rubs front of ankle

recently purchased and being a difficult fit, found these stock sized to fit perfectly. I was using the Shimano carbon 215's but had to get them in the wide version because regular size was too narrow for my foot. These S-Works are roomy and I've been able to cinch down the tightness without experiencing any discomfort or excessive tightness. I know the Boa spectralace retention system is relatively new, but I can see this technology taking off and being used more wide spread in the near future. The sole on this shoe is extremely stiff which works well with my Speedplay set up and like the Shimano shoes, I prefer the low profile of the sole and shoe, unlike the past Carnac's with their adapter plates and increased height. I cannot comment on durablilty or reliability at this point but I am extremely optimistic and expect the shoes to perform and function well as I've had good experiences with other Specialized products.

Shimano 215 Carnac Quartz