Castelli Y-Fuso Bib Shorts Shorts

[Nov 30, 2006]
RSPDiver

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice cut and quality finish. Light material in the lower for cooling. Chamois works great...when it's in the right spot.

Chamois can move unexpectedly, and not immediately noticable, after a sprint or climb. Takes some creative maneuvering to reset the position

I cautiously bid on these (barely used) shorts on ebay, based on the reviews here. New looking on arrival, I tried them immediately on a 45 mile ride, and several times since.

These shorts fit me well, I feel. Size large fits my 6'1" ~200lb frame nicely, and they feel sleek. The material feels very light, like a summer weight short. In contrast, the high and fairly full back is warm, but the mesh straps help with sweat. Odd mixture, but I can make it work.

On first mount of the bike, the shorts feel very comfortable. Later in the ride I can definately sympathize with those that mentioned pad movement and/or poor placement. With the very connected and firm nature of the chamois, it can move easily off your sit bones "sweet spot" if you get out of the saddle for a climb. You may not immediately notice, but a mile or two later you sense one sit bone more exposed that the other. Adjustments on bike can be trecherous, so I recommend stopping to refit. Or just make sure the pad is jammed way up in your junk from the get go, with the waist of the shorts adjusted high to keep it there. Yeah, a pain overall.

I really like the fit of these shorts, and wish the fabric was a bit more heavy, especially around the seat, to keep the pad centered. Since it's winter now, I will try these with tights, which may help to keep them situated better.

As with any reflective logo (it seems) they are cracking and look poopie while wearing. Oh well, still reflective I guess.

If you have wide sit bones, or have a frame that requires a larger size than the classic cyclist body type for your height, you may want to pass on these. Otherwise, downsizing the fit may help you with pad movement (or lack thereof).

Hincapie Power bib, Pace ITS-50 bib, Pace and Performance shorts.

[Jun 08, 2004]
Spyky

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable material, not restrictive Thin pad (if you prefer such)

Pad shape doesn't fit my physique well Fused parts of pad are less flexible Mediocre durability

These are no longer manufactured by Castelli. I think the fused chamois is a great idea in theory, but in reality, it isn't as comfortable as regular stitching, because it causes the pad to be less flexible. For what is is worth, I generally love Castelli clothing. I find their jerseys fit me perfectly, and I own many, many pairs. I find that the pad in this short always feels like it is too far forward, or backward, I try to adjust it into place, but it doesn't stay where it is comfortable. I find myself much more aware of the pad in this short than in other shorts because of the front to back movement. I think this movement is caused because the pad doesn't flex enough to conform to my shape. I will be wearing this short only for <2 hour rides from now on. I've tried it on a 6 hour ride, hoping it would become more comfortable, and it was bearable, but I found myself frequently adjusting the pad, because it wasn't comfortable. The lycra is very nice and very flexible, I don't feel as restricted as in other shorts. I think I will try another high-end Castelli short, with a different pad but similar material. Unfortunately the material is also not as durable as the thicker, less flexible material on other shorts. There is a small bit of piling where a jersey zipper was rubbing. Nothing too serious.

pearl izumi, cannondale, just purchased an Assos:seems excellent, but too early to say for certain.

[Jan 26, 2004]
Shawn Urban

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, comfort, looks, increased performance.

Scorpion logo feel off the rear after washing...

After riding in "lower end" shorts for years and putting in 5000-6000 miles per year (up to 206 miles in a single day) I decided I had earned a reward. So, I bought myself a pair of these Yfuso shorts. Paid $100 off the clearance rack at a LBS. Having put 100 miles on them in the last week I would be happy to pay the MRSP of $200 - maybe even more! In fact, I just bought another pair off of E-bay. Great looking shorts but the biggest benefit is increased performance on the bike. With this pad design it appears I am getting much better circulation in my legs and thus less burnout from lactic acid build-up. All I can say is "spend the money on a good pair of shorts - you will not regret it". Especially 200 miles into a hot 275 mile ride!

Nashbar and Performance bib shorts

[Jan 16, 2004]
Foggy

OVERALL
Strength:

Good cut for the tuck position. Very light fabric that breathes well and stays in place. I have a long torso and the bib suspenders are stretchy enough so that I don't feel them on my shoulders.

The thin fabric doesn't have the durability it should. These were my Sunday Only shorts in the summer and pilled after about 8 rides (30-40 mile burners with the lads). They rub pretty badly when worn under tights. The leg huggers leave a nice dent in my legs after rides and I have pretty thin legs. Also, after washing, the synthetic chamois still smells like it did post ride. I'm not much for these synthetic numbers, where did all the chamois go? I think the old shorts are far more comfortable.

I picked up a pair of these at the beginning of last summer and was impressed with them when riding in the heat. They seemed fairly comfortable, cool and really stayed in place. Noticed some pilling on the insides of the legs after where the shorts rub the bottom edge of the saddle (haven't seen this wear on 8 other pairs of short of different makes). Noticed when winter started that they began to chaff the "bridge" when worn under chamois-less tights. You know, that area between your fella and your seat bones. I've ridden them serveral times on the trainer this winter during hour sessions and haven't duplicated, something about the tights that causes the chamois to bunch up and rub. Overall I'm happy with the shorts but don't think they're worth the money. The LBS made me a deal I couldn't pass on. In the past 20 years, I've had about 20 different pairs of shorts and I would rate these above average but not near the top of my list. Next summer will really tell if they can hold up under a lot of miles.

Descente are comfy. Santinis are real durable and don't cost a fortune. I think Assos are a great short as well but should sell for around $120 and not $200. It just depends on how you're build.

[Dec 01, 2003]

OVERALL
Strength:

Castelli quality product; excellent lycra material.

Poor pad fit; market placement price; relative stiffness of pad.

I can't say these are any improvement on an already exceptional Castelli product, the PY2 VT. While no seam sounds good, in practice the pad in the YFUSO bib is -for me- less comfy than the PY2 VT. Because it is molded, it doesn't conform to my crotch and seat as well, and is nowhere near as supple as the PY2 VT pad. Basically, the pad 'wings' on either side of the main pad - that bend and are supposed to run down the inside of your leg an inch or two- don't. They just don't conform to my physique properly. I initially hoped that after a couple of wearings the pad would shape itself to me, but it hasn't happened. Don't get me wrong, this is a fine bibshort that you can wear for a 2 hr. ride, but I can get a similar feel from a $90 list bibshort- and this lists for the princely sum of $200. For that price, I want form-fitting silk. I much much much prefer the PY2 VT bibs, plain and simple. If you do spring for the YFUSOs, be sure to order a size smaller than usual- I'm 6'4" 210 lbs., and wear a L in euro sizing(w/ the PY2 VTs for example), but the YFUSO follows the N. American sizing system and a M corresponds. I initially purchased a size L and they were far too big in the leg; sold them and bought a M.

Castelli PY2 VT & Alcantara bibs; Santini Gel CX Twist bibs; Pearl Izumi Micro 3D bibs

[Nov 03, 2003]
Melon Man

OVERALL
Strength:

Build quality, very nice feeling fabrics, good overall fit, chamois that doesn't have the stiching that makes you aware that you are wearing shorts with stiching after an hour or two and eventually eats through skin.

None so far. With any new technology, need to determine long-term reliability of chamois fusing process. Although a bit on the pricey side (MSRP), the comfort factor far exceeds the asking price.

Although I have only used the Y/Fuso bib shorts for a few rides (approximately 6 hours saddle time so far), I can honestly say that from the first ride, I became aware that these shorts are one of the most comfortable shorts I have ever worn. With no stiching anywhere on the chamois pad, this helps reduce hot spots. That's just fine with me.

Tens and tens of bike shorts, bibs from different manufacturers: Pace, Castelli, Assos (chamois stiching came undone after 2 rides on the FI13!!), Pearl Isumi (UltraSensor, MicroSensor), Hind.

[Sep 20, 2003]
cliff bar

OVERALL
Strength:

Very breathable, chamois is extremely comfortable and form fitting and they have been washed a number of times and are still in like new condition.

None yet.

If I had paid the full retail of $199 for these bib shorts, I still would be very happy with my purchase. Quite simply, these are the most comfortable shorts I have ever worn. The fabric is like silk and breathes extremely well and the new chamois is more comfortable than any I have ever used. I purchased these on Ebay for $95 which is is a steal. I highly recommend these to anyone.

Peal Izumi, Assos, Bell, Santini