Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor Short Shorts

[Apr 26, 2009]
Carlos

OVERALL
Strength:

They fit very well and have a good wicking action.

Uncomfortable in the front. Don't last very long.

Not too good. I upgraded from some no-name bike shorts in hope that I wouldn't have any more problems, but they only made things slightly better for twice the price.

I have a track bike and I know the geometry is harsh, but things should be more comfortable than what I'm experiencing in a 25 mile ride.
For the first 10-20 minutes I have to keep adjusting things and moving in the saddle to find the sweet spot. Then they become more comfortable...towards the end of the ride. The problem is up front really. The chamois cuts into your skin and most of the padding seems to be at the back.

[Aug 15, 2008]
ecloebl

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable.

Unacceptably rapid wear. A pair of $95 shorts should last more than eight weeks!

I used these for less than two months, in rotation with other shorts, and they wore through!

[Aug 24, 2007]
mgdanna

OVERALL
Strength:

I'm not naked in public when wearing them.

They pinch my privates. The chamois needs to go further up in the front. After inspecting some other shorts at my local shop, I've determined the padding to sub standard.

I have to agree with the review above. These shorts are uncomfortable. After years of less than comfortable riding I'm going out today and plunking down the almost unimaginable $150 plus for a nice pair of Asso shorts.

Even cheaper and less comfortable shorts from Pearl Izumi

[Mar 12, 2007]
Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

Very good fit

The chamois shape is in question. No padding down the middle might be the source of my sit-bone irritation due to movement while pedaling.

After one season with these PI Ultrasensor shorts with 3D Elite chamois, the jury is still out. I've had THEE worst sit-bone pain ever with these during a week-long tour across Wisconsin. Around midweek I got VERY sore. However, I did go swimming with them and then pedaled more with them wet. But I did have this problem on later rides where they weren't wet. I will try these with a different saddle this season. Will swap my WTB Laser V for a Brooks B17 Champion Special I've been breaking in on my commuter. Have also been washing with the perfume-free style detergents to eliminate the allergy possibility even though I have no allergies with any other clothing.

Nashbar, Sportful, Dave Scott Arena

[Feb 04, 2007]
Harbear

OVERALL
Strength:

Uhhhhhhhhh, can't think of any.

Quarter inch of nothing creating vise grip experience.

OK, maybe my muskrats float a little differently than most, but you know that quarter inch space where Pearl decides NOT to put any chamois? Well, that causes the shorts to pinch and send my muskrats into a screaming frenzy. I'm not a happy cyclist with these vise grips especially after shelling out close to a c-note on the recommendation of the shop employee - then find out they're about 50 bucks down at Performance. The most comfy shorts I own are the Canari MTB's but I don't like the MTB baggie flapping in the wind and Canari Roads are hard to find.

While I'm on a rant, let's talk about Performance Bike. My experience with the 'tude at the local franchise has been hit and miss from exasperated clerks who would rather straighten jerseys to helpful comrades who would do anything to steer a roadie right. I ride a used bike so I don't have an LBS who shows me the love. In my quest, I have spent good moola in stores hoping to get a warm fuzzy eschewing the bargain prices at Performance. No longer. When I spend $100 on a pair of Vredeseteins I guess I expect some measure of gratitude, especially when Performance has them at $50. So, I'll be back at Performance, taking my chance on an "associate" who might have had a good night's sleep while racking up purchase points and walking out with free merchandise.

Back to the Pearl Izumi Ultrasensors: not comfortable for me. What cycle scientist thought a 1/4" of missing chamois was good idea? So. I'm still on a search to find comfortable road shorts. Trouble is, money may not be well spent.

Descente - worse than PI if you can believe it. Canari.