Cinelli Cork Solid Bar Tape

Manufacturer: Cinelli Colors: Black Features: The original corkTape.

[Jul 31, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

A pain to wrap, don't stretch it too much! Ooops, you broke it? Better buy another pack.

Purchased:
Used
[May 29, 2009]
StillKeen

OVERALL
Strength:

Grippy. Comfortable, Easy to appy ... it works well.

The white isnt pure white, but more an off-white with specs of brown in it.

Traditional cork bar tape.
Nothing flashy, no gimiks, no 'body geometry', 'CAD designed', 'ergomic', 'solar powered' rubbish ... just good honest cork bar tape.

Bontrager tape. Whatever came on my bike, dont know what it was.

[Oct 26, 2008]
bolandjd

OVERALL
Strength:

feels great; looks super classy, especially when shellaced

a bit more expensive than other cork tapes

So far, I'm loving this tape. I got the tan color. It has a very nice feel to it - firm and supportive with just enough cush. Four coats of amber shellac and it matches my Brooks honey brown Flyer perfectly and will never tear or wear out with annual application. The shellac reduces the grippines somewhat, maybe, but adds a slick leathery feel that I think is quite pleasant.

the cork tape that came stock on the bike

[Apr 21, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

IMHO, Cinelli has the best feel hands down. Yay to cork! It's pretty durable, gives a positive grip rain or shine, looks good, and definately stays put. I can still imagine better, but this is the best tape I've found yet.

To look good and function well, this tape needs to be applied by either a careful and experienced mechanic, or a very attentive and methodical novice. It does like to tear, and in the event of a crash, may not make it. Yet applied correctly (tightly), I find it holds up reasonably well... rain OR shine.

I commute AND race. For racing, this cork tape is fine, especially if you have a penchant for that vintage feel. For commuting, it is TOP NOTCH. It's textured, not too squishy but also not rigid. I find it gives me a great feel for the road. It can be expensive if purchased locally. Luckilly, it's cheaper online.

Provile, Deda, Bontrager Ribbon, Cloth, Cloth over Cork.

[Apr 15, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

The grip and feel to which I alluded.

The colors and patterns available.

If you are adamant about having a classic-looking or all-Italian bike, this tape fits the bill.

Tears easier than my sheerest pantyhose.

As I mentioned, it's slippery in the rain if you're not wearing gloves.

I've used this stuff on and off for about 15 years or so.

By far its best quality is the unique way it provides cushion and support. It's not squishy like gel products, but it also has a plush feel that most other tapes don't have.

The wrap looks nice, too--at least if you manage to get it on the bar in one piece and it doesn't get too dirty.

Every once in a while you can catch it on sale for ten dollars or so. Buy a few sets then.

Its worst qualities is that it gets slippery in the rain, it doesn't last more than a couple of months and that it's by far the most difficult wrap to install. Other wraps and grips are easier to install the first time around than Cinelli cork wrap is even after a few dozen tries.

Torelli Moda (much more durable), Deda wrap (ditto), leather wraps (can't beat 'em for looks and status), Tressostar and other cloth tapes, Benotto (remember it?)

[Feb 16, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort, long life

costs more than synthetic blend tapes, the chrome coating on the end plugs scratches off, the sticky tape on the back can make a bit of a mess.

Cinelli cork tape can't be beat. it's comfortable and long lasting, and stays grippy when wet. I don't wear gloves in hot weather, and the Cinelli tape makes for comfortable riding.

Pearl Izumi tape

[Oct 06, 2003]
Allan

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, looks really nice

Melty glue. Not enough tape on roll for oversize bars.

I haven't tried any other tape, so I have nothing to compare the stuff to. However, in my experience, Cinelli tape is decent, but the roll is not long enough. I have an oversize bar, and I run out of tape about 2 revolutions too soon. I just put on my third roll, and even knowing I'd need to widen out the loops, there was still not enough. I have to end up taking old tape and adding that to finish the job. Looks kind of amateurish, but that's the only thing you can do. Also, if you live in a hot summer climate like me, the glue on the tape can melt and then the tape slides off (where the top of the bar curves going into the hoods).

[Sep 12, 2002]
Gianni

OVERALL
Strength:

Good way to fit in with the crowd. Readily available.

Poor durability. Adhesive too sticky. Tears easily. Not the best feel.

This stuff is not that great. Try something else, unless you just NEED Celeste blue tape. Generic tape is better than this. TEST: use one side of bar Cinelli, the other side anything else, and see which lasts longer.

Profile, Selocof(?), Off the Front(many variations, at least they're trying), Neon Bike Ribbon (back in the day).

[Nov 06, 2001]
Jaybirdy

OVERALL
Strength:

soft, last a long time. lasted 5500 miles this year

need to peel stickey stuff off when you wrap. make sure you wrap it the right way or it will curl up

This is the only tape to get. It just feels better than the other dumpster brands.

all others not good

[Feb 08, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Good Grip and comfortable. Reusable.

Yellow color gets dirty easily?

Excellent value.