Pearl Izumi Greptile Handlebar Tape Bar Tape

[Jul 07, 2004]
fit2endure

OVERALL
Strength:

grip!

paper tape, terrible. after awhile the tape began to seperate from the grippy material

not to bad, lasted a little over a year. not too much cushion. bought the gloves and never really had any mishaps. if looking for good grip, works well. looking for cushion, use a different product

N/A

[Dec 28, 2003]
Tmack

OVERALL
Strength:

Sticky, no slip, not excessively cushy

Picks up glove fuzz and stuff, end tape sucks (use electric tape or something, not a problem big enough to loose a + ), maybe not cushy enough for you? Also, wrap it tight, stretch it just slightly or it will look/feel/come loose a bit.

I got the gloves on clearance about two years ago, and immediately noticed an increase in grip (though less cushy than normal bike gloves). Even on my mountain bike I noticed an improvement with less slip. Feels like they actually stick to stuff. Once I got my roadbike setup, I got the bar tape at the outlet store for about $7. While it does have less cushion than cork, the improvement in grip more than makes up for it. Sine you dont have to grab as tight to keep from slipping, less cusion is needed (you dont squeeze all the cushion out just trying to hold on). Even more amazing is the lack of slip in the rain. It does have a tendancy to pick up fuzz and other stuff and hang on to it, but that can be removed easily and it only makes it look a little dirty after a while, doesnt affect performance.

Cork that was on my bike, other cheap imitation cork.

[Mar 12, 2003]
Draider02

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip is far improved, nice amout of padding. Never knew how much slip I acctually had, you can relax your grip and still hold firm leading to less hand fatigue.

the look, it is a little odd but is ok. Although the gloves' leather had little bits that come off and stick to the tape surface, just a little aesthetic flaw. Paper tape, I suggest use electrical tape then put the paper tape on top.

In my search for new gloves I came accross an ebay auction for the greptile gloves and tape for less than $20. The delivery came today as I wes stepping out the door on a ride. Instead of stopping and retaping I just switched gloves and went out. I immediately noticed how much more stick I had to my cinelli cork. After a good ride I was sold on the gloves so I switched out my tape also. I then went for another 8 miles and I have nothing but the best to say. I gave a few extra turns in my drops to add custion but my fears of no padding was unwarrented. The gloves are minimalistic in their padding, but what they have is placed perfectly for me (a climber and/or sprinter) The tape also, may be less firm in it's cushion as the cinelli, but it enough for a good hard and like me, heavy rider.

cinelli tape

[Jul 30, 2002]
Ron

OVERALL
Strength:

Really good grip.

Cheap paper tape.

This stuff has a really good grip. It is not hard, but it is not real cushy. I used black electrical tape at the end to hold, works much better than the cheap paper tape that comes with it.

Really old bar tape that has no cushion at all

[Aug 21, 2001]
Leonard coe

OVERALL
Strength:

If you like hard grip tape and like to ware gloves.

need gloves, in hot weather the tape come loose very easy. I would have to retape the bars once a week. I do not recommend this product at all.

I do not recommend this product at all.

OFF the Front

[Apr 19, 2000]
zach anderson

OVERALL
Strength:

no slip period

not as comfy as cork

greptile tape is pearl izumis new thing developed by 3m...i think it's a 3m...from the people that brought us post it notes and invisible tape...i'll tell you what...either just the gloves or the tape alone will increase your grippage significantly, if you combine the two...it's almost like they're sticky...greptile gloves on greptile tape will give you ZERO slippage...the only downside is that the tape isn't as soft and comfy as cinelli cork tape and in order to get the greptile gloves, you have to sacrifice the padding that you'd get with a regular glove like a whiteline or gel glove...all in all...if you're slipping around on your dropbars, give this tape a try with just regular gloves, if you still have trouble, invest in the gloves too...it's worth the loss in comfort to be able to be confident in your control over the bike...4 stars cuz of the comfort thing

cinelli