Hed Designs Aerobar Handlebars

The Aerobar now comes standard with S-Bend extensions. The S bends were developed in conjunction with and for Lance Armstrong to use in the '04 tour. The extensions are available in carbon fiber or aluminum. Refined hardware reduces weight to 800g for the complete stock bar with carbon pipes.

[Jun 16, 2009]
KP-Review

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

Very Dangerous

HED Carbon Aerobars (models from 06 -09)
I'm not for running down products, however if I think they are dangerous we all need to know about them and the HED Aerobars, this model and all the models that have the raised elbow cups, worse are the ones that ‘flip up’ when you don’t need them. After spending over S$1,200, US$800 for these bars and having to pay for break ends (no they don't come with them) plus a stem I thought I had the goods. Wrong. What I had were a fancy looking pair of bars that are poorly designed and very, very dangerous.
2 main issues. 1 it is almost impossible to tighten the S-Bends to the main Wing. I have never seen anyone do this successfully. During a race I almost lost control and went over the front of the bike when the main bar folded forward after hitting a small ditch across part of the course at about 40km. I have since removed the carbon stem going back to alloy as I can get the tension to where I feel safer. 2nd point is the elbow cups break off. They are held on by this small bracket and when you are on the S-Bends and if you hit a small hole or bump, if there is any sideways movement on them they fail. I have replaced them three times now and HED won’t acknowledge that they are an issue, which of course manufactures don’t. I would not be surprised to see them recalled, you can do way better for yourself than these HED Aerobars.