Fizik Arione Titanium Saddles

• "Wing flex" for free thigh movement and increased pedalling power (more clearance for leg stretching)
  • Increased contact surface area: 12% more than standard saddles for better pressure distribution
  • Wider nose for increased comfort toward the front of the saddle
  • Extended saddle length (30 cm) provides more riding positions
  • Over 85 mm rail adjustability: longest in its category
  • Carbon reinforced shell: stiff yet flexible, no saddle sag
  • Lightweight (230 gr)

[Aug 14, 2009]
usmcav8or

OVERALL

I seldom write these reviews, but I read a few bad ones one this very popular saddle, and I couldn't believe the Arione was uncomfortable for anyone! I have been riding/racing this saddle for about a year, (3000 miles in the last 8 months), just spent 7 hours on it yesterday. It has been wonderful throughout, really zero complaints, best saddle I've ever owned. Only model that I think is even comparable in terms of a universal fit is the Selle Italia SLR, and it definitly takes second place to the Arione

[Aug 21, 2008]
KH1

OVERALL
Strength:

Plenty of room to move and find the right sit bone position.

Stupid suede and perenium (nut) crusher.......

I have been trying to find the right saddle for several months. I tried the Arione about 4 months ago with no luck but the LBS said it was probably setup. To some extent they were right. After a closer look at positioning I found the saddle to be better than I previously remembered. In fact it is one of the most comfortable saddles I have tried on the sit bones. Problems for me though are around the discomfort from the perenium pressure that the seat applies. And that strip of suede is surely one of the stupidist ideas ever to come out of the Fizik factory. It just plain heats up and for caused a blister.
Other really like this saddle and there is plenty of merit in the saddle if you can get past the perenium issues.

If there was a cutout in the centre it would be the perfect saddle....... Anyone from Fizik reading this, you know what to do!

Aliante, San Marco Arame, Arrowhead, Selle Royal Viper, Specialized Toupe (On order and fingers crossed it works)

[Jul 31, 2008]
Bb

OVERALL
Strength:

lots of room to move around when you get in the grind..

Numbness

Saddle is great looking but thats about it...lots of room to move if you like to ride the bridge...I would still be on it if i did not go numb, seems this is the case with this saddle..im 5'10 148 it should not be an issue. looks great but oh well

[Mar 17, 2008]
Ramjet

OVERALL
Strength:

Shape is great (no chaffing or sores) and extremely sexy - lovely design and great build quality...

...but could not get comfy... I like a saddle to 'lean back on' and push hard... here you fall off (almost). Seems to push up into male plumbing zone - not comfy. On long rides damn shocking... not for me (but lots like 'em)

In theory this is a clever idea, in practice - goddam awful. Great sexy shape, long seat rails but after trying to break in for many months tossed in the bin. Could not get comfy, got numb, adjusted seat angle all over the place... back to the trusty Flite

Selle Italia (Flite) - the best, Turbomatic - awesome (they don't make them anymore), San Marco Era (double ouch!)

[Jan 27, 2008]
jrpelayo

OVERALL
Strength:

Build quality.

Fit.

After 10 years I had to replace my Selle San Marco, so I listened to the guy at the bike store and bought this saddle. From day one I've never been comfortable on it and am finally in the process of replacing it. I guess being popular isn't all it's cracked up to be. This product is overrated, especially at the premium price I paid. But saddles are a tricky thing, you never know until you ride it and by then it's too late. Caveat emptor for this baby!

Selle San Marco

[Dec 27, 2007]
Vobj1701

OVERALL
Strength:

Longer saddle provides more positions
Not much flex like the toupe had. Just enough.

Weight. It's much heavier than alot of the other saddles out there.

Started out with a Toupe on my S-works, but my tail was getting numb and my knees were really hurting. Got adjusted and it still didn't work for me. So someone suggested the Fizik Arione. I tried it and got an adjustment and haven't looked back since.

Specialized Toupe

[Jun 02, 2007]
Jon

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks cool.

Weight, size, uncomfortable.

I went in search of a great saddle to replace the brick that came with my bike and saw the Arione. One of my biddies that rides professionally suggested it and said it was what his team and most teams are using. I can sum up my experience with the Arione in one word. PAINFUL. This saddle was down right torture. The only good thing I could find with it was that after about 5 miles everything went numb. I spent the majority of my ride trying to find a comfortable spot. I have switched it out for a San Marco Aspide Ti. Saddles should be purchased based on what fits you and this one did not fit me.

[May 10, 2007]
Brian Aslett

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable
Room to move backwards & forwards!
Good quality
Looks good

Price

I couple of months after buying a new bike I had a professional fitting - I was getting knee problems. they adjusted the bike to fit me an strongly recommended a new saddle (the bike came with a cheap Selle Italia). I reeled a bit at the price ... but it was the right move.

The Arione took a while to bed in but now on most rides I don't notice it's there, which I guess is the best compliment!
I occasionally suffer some numbness but Only after about 4 hours on the road.

I've had no problems with the quality in +- 5000 miles over 2 years - but I'm light 75kg

Selle Italia

[Jan 30, 2007]
KXD

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looks
Plenty of colours
Matching bar tape - if you want it
Not overly heavy
Plenty of position variation
Comfortable
No numbness

Maybe a little expensive, but for the sake of the 'boys' money doesn't really play a factor

This review is for the Fizik Arione w/ Ti rails.

My Specialized Tarmac came fitted with a Specialized Alias saddle. I was told the Body Geometry (BG) was the cutting edge for saddles.

The first ride i had on it felt OK but not great. i put it down to minor adjustments that needed to be made. Well, the minor adjustments just kept on coming and coming and coming. It got to the stage where a half hour ride would put the boys tro sleep! NOT GOOD. I just could not get a comfortable fit with this saddle and after 8000 k's gave up and went searching for something for 'me'

Enter the Fizik Arione. i had heard and read all the reviews and after searching for a couple of weeks, settled on this baby!

And boy am I glad I did! I know it's early days yet but this seat really hits the spot!!

The first time I went out on it I knew we would be friends for life. It just seemed to mould to my shape. There are no dodgy cut outs which gives more surface area to distribute your weight. After a week and about 400 k's the wing flex kicked in and now i can hardly even nboticed the seat is there. No numbness, chaffing or saddle sores even after 4 hours on the road!!

Specialized Alias
San Marc SKN

[Jan 26, 2007]
acid_rider

OVERALL
Strength:

long saddle, allow several riding positions, lots of set-back is possible

price is a bit high

this is an update to my 22 Dec 2005 review where I rated it 3 out of 5 stars. Upgrading to 4 out of 5 now.

I weigh less that 150# (67kg) so I am not heavy, male. Using Ti rails and a basic black Arione Ti (not the carbon version which is "over the top" IMO). I now have two idential Arione Ti on both of my road bicycles, on FSA seatposts with lots of setback (~32-35mm) which I need for comfort.

It turns out I was *wrong* about Arione in my first review. The reason for saddle discomfort was because the saddle height was not good for me. Initially it was too high - problems - then I lowered it too much - problems again. Now that I found optimal saddle height (to the nearest 3-5mm) and saddle problems are basically over. Aliante is still a little more comfortable but both Arione and Aliante are good now for up to 3 hours in the saddle. It is critical to have Arione level (I mean nose to tail level not the rear end alone) or ~1-2 degrees nose up, literally. No more than 2! Use carpenter's level to set your saddle, it is worth it. I have angle measuring device to ensure the saddle nose is not up any more than 1-2 degrees, literally. Eyes can lie when it comes to small angles. Even 1-2 degrees off makes a big difference to comfort - on any saddle - I have Aliante, Gobi and Arione - same rules apply to all of them.

Aliante (also very good but a bit too short and olny one sweet spot), Gobi (ok but rough surface rubs expensive shorts), S/I Flite Gelfow (not good), Bontrager stock (poor).