Fizik Arione Saddles

Best Price At

The Fi’zi:k Arione features a wing flex shell that flexes downward where the inner thigh contacts the saddle allowing more efficient pedaling and full range of movement. The K:ium rail has a high strength to weight ratio with excel...

[Jul 11, 2012]
Spee

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks good, low weight.

No comfort, bruises my skin.

I rode the Marmotte on this saddle and will not ride for at least 3 weeks because of heavily damaged skin at the seat bones. It is personal of course, but this is the worst saddle I had in 40 years.

[May 28, 2012]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Great saddle and needs virtually no breaking in. The design allows you to slide back for long climbs or forward for in the drops hammering.

I have broken the shell on two of them... What can I say.. I don't look like it but I am over 200 lbs so a good pot hole can do some damage. Fortunately the saddle took the hit and the shell broke versus me

Great product but because its light be prepared for some durability issues for heavier riders

[Jan 23, 2012]
Jordan

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably light, last a long time. comfortable for short distances

Lack of pressure relief area can cause erectile disfunction numbness in such areas and all sorts of problems. Pricey if you pay retail.

I originally switched to this saddle when people at my local bike shop donated it to me because my current one was too crappy. It was a similar design to my existing saddle and comfort wise was about the same which was "not terrible". Unfortunately as my rides have grown longer it has become worse and worse. Long periods in the saddle = chafing, a numb crotch, and pain while urinating for the next couple days. After some research I have decided that it entirely has to do with Fizik's design philosophy. They refuse to incorporate pressure relief cutouts which allow blood flow back tot he area because this would increase pressure on the sit bones, but that is what sit bones are made for. After testing out a cut out style design (selle SMP and specialized romin) during a 300 mile week with 0 issues, I'm converting.

Selle SMP Glider, Selle SMP Composit, Specialized Romin

[Oct 18, 2010]
Gaear Grimsrud

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, durability, narrow nose.

Still a little too wide in the nose.

A saddle that works for me (finally). No other saddle with a narrow nose provides adequate sit bone cushioning. Even this one is a little too wide in the nose, and I wore down the leather along the edges that contact my thighs. Fixed it with some nail polish and occasional application of Armor All (to reduce friction).

Selle Italia Flite, SLR; San Marco Concor, Regal-e; Specialized Romin

[Mar 30, 2010]
naisan

OVERALL
Strength:

* great suspension effect from front to back
* immediately comfortable
* fits active cyclists thighs while pedaling very well

* weight (mine are Ti rails, @ 260g)

I went to this saddle after lots of urging. I was using a Specialized saddle with a cutout, which was causing chafing and numbness in spite of the cutout. This is sad because I ride with some of the best bib shorts made, so this bunching and chaffing was truly abominable.

The fizik was incredibly comfortable (right away), caused no numbness, even after 20 miles in the drops.

I didn't feel any flex in the wings, but I did notice that as I rotated forward to get in the drops, the middle of the saddle "gave", and so my weight was cradled on the saddle without a pressure point.

Specialized (various), selle italia (various). .

[Jul 13, 2009]
Paul Listerman

OVERALL
Strength:

comfortable

Durability & expensive.

I am on my second Arione. The saddle fits by butt. It's comfortable. What more can be said?? If you are on a ride and never think about your saddle, then it is a good saddle.
That said, there is a question of durability. I am on my second Arione. On the first one, now on the second, the leather is pulling away from the shell along the side where my right thigh rubs. The leater wears away, then pulls away from the shell. This saddle is about two years old. Maybe it's the 5000+ miles, maybe it's my thighs, maybe ???

Time to search for one on EBAY....

Selle Italia Flite, Sella Italia Turbomatic III & IV

[May 29, 2009]
paknet55

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort above all; stylish.

Yes the lettering on the nose wears off, but so what.

I'm very pleased with the Arione saddle. I have used it on rides up to 65 miles with no numbness to "the boys," and I consider it the most comfortable saddle I've tried. I also have a Specialized Toupe saddle in the narrower, 130mm version on another bike. The Toupe also does not produce any numbness (it has a cut out) and is comparably priced; however, I find the Arione better for longer rides.

As to numbness: I agree with some other observations that it's very important with the Arione to have the saddle's fore-aft angle somewhat TILTED DOWN (toward the front of the bike). I have to admit that when I set it up like this, it was very obvious that the tilt was different from how I set up other saddles. Yet I've never felt like I'm carrying more weight on my arms and wrists.

So, if you have this saddle and you are experiencing numbness, experiment with the tilt a bit before replacing it.

Specialized Toupe 130mm

[May 06, 2009]
kdm17

OVERALL
Strength:

Design's great, color looks nice. Fairly comfortable after a long break in time.

Very very (4000 mile) break in period
Wing flex is a joke
Causes numbness (no relief down center of saddle)

I started with this saddle using it for commuting... I was trying to break it in for preparation for a coast to coast tour. After no avail, I did the whole with it, all 3500 miles, and I didn't really like.. but it wasn't horrible. I began road racing/tt this year and I have used it for that as well... still feel the same way: numbness.

Specialized Toupe
Bontrager something or another
WTB something or another

[Apr 26, 2009]
Wolfpack1

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort
Weight
Looks
Greater variety of riding positions

"Arione" lettering on the nose rubs off easily

I've been through several saddles in a quest to find one that a) doesn't cause numbness, b) is light, and c) looks cool. Numbness was obviously the big issue here. It's uncomfortable, can be a distraction on rides, and has the potential to cause real damage.

After a Selle San Marco (stock on the bike) and two Selle Italias, and no success finding a saddle that kept my nether-region from falling asleep, I tried out a Fizik Arione.

This saddle is AWESOME. It's comfortable, it looks great (I have the white/gloss white version), and it's light, especially for having an additional 4cm of length compared to most other saddles. I've been riding it for a couple of weeks now with no numbness or soreness, even after long rides. The additional length allows for a greater variety of riding positions, making the search for a comfortable position a lot easier.

I have no complaints whatsoever.

Selle San Marco Ponza, Selle Italia SLK, Selle Italia C2

[Mar 21, 2009]
david graska

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability. Let me explain. I sweat a lot and after about a year (8,000 miles) the covering of the saddle was showing some shredding and I thought it was done for. Well, I've ridden it another 20-24,000 miles since then and the covering shows it, but the basic core of the saddle is intact and still provides great comfort.

If you sweat a lot, the outer covering may start to shred. A friend of mine has same saddle and has ridden lots of miles and his cover still looks great. But he's not a sweater.

Bought the Fizik Arione saddle on shop recommendation as I had been unable to find a saddle that would not cause terrible hurt after 50-60 miles. Took some break-in time of 2-3,000 miles and is a very comfortable saddle the more I ride it. Have put over 30,000 miles on saddle and is ready to be replaced (I sweat profusely) but feels too good to get rid of yet.

I rode the Terry Fly one of the Forte saddles and a couple of others and never could get one that would be comfortable after 50 or so miles. I did have a Brooks all leather saddle (felt like a pice of iron!) that had great comfort after break in, but it finally wore out.