Koobi Xenon Saddles

Lightweight, High Performance saddle with exquisite styling. Available in red, blue, or yellow Italian leathers. Titanium rails. A mere 255 grams.

[Jul 26, 2008]
erj549

OVERALL
Strength:

quality construction, light weight, pretty sweet design, relieves evil numbness quite well

none so far, other than price, though it's a small price to pay for relieving the pressure of standard seats

I went with a Koobi seat after experiencing numbness in places where numbness is not advisable with all my previous seats. I read all the reviews, and I think either Koobi or Specialized cutaway seats are the way to go to alleviate that particular issue. But I was swayed by slightly better reviews for Koobi, so I set out to find one as cheaply as I could. After much looking, I think you pretty much have to buy Koobi seats straight from them, unless you can find the occasional one on Ebay for a little cheaper, as I did.

As for the Xenon in particular, it is definitely a firm seat, which I was a little skeptical about, but I have quickly gotten used to it. The main benefit of the seat is that it relieves pressure from sensitive areas and distributes it almost exclusively to your sitbone areas (my wife would roll her eyes and tell me that those are called ischial tuberosities). But anyways, it was a little uncomfortable at first to have so much pressure localized to those bones, but after one or two rides, I find it to be very comfortable, and certainly much better than the numbness I was previously experiencing.

The Xenon appears to be very well made, and it is very light (I'm not a weight freak, but I imagine it would be satisfactory to someone who is). My Xenon has survived its first fall with little more than some scuff marks, though I was pretty annoyed to mess up its cool appearance.

Overall, I would say that this seat, or any Koobi seat for that matter, would be a great seat to look at if you have issues of discomfort and numbness with a standard seat. I think that which Koobi seat you buy depends on the softness/firmness you desire, and, if you're like me, which one you can find for less than the full manufacturer's price.

cushy gel seat, standard solid seat, some cheap cutaway seat

[May 05, 2008]
pde

OVERALL
Strength:

Wide, firm, fairly light, leather.

Something (the seams maybe?) on the recent Xenon is less comfortable. Either that, or the shape is somehow supporting my sit bones elss.

Much less beautiful than the previous multi-textured model.

This is a followup to a previous five-star review. My old Xenon saddle was stolen by the denizens of Mission St (damn them for discovering the allen key), so I decided to shell out for a replacement. Koobi's site only had them discounted as seconds at the time; I figured that shouldn't matter much and bought two. This may have been a mistake.

My replacement Xenons are noticeably less comfortable than the one that was stolen. It may be that it's just because these are seconds, but it actually seems that it was a change in the design of the saddle that has made them less comfortable for me.

The general feeling I get is that my sit bones are less happy with the new saddl than they were with the old one. It may be a structural difference in the saddle, or change in the seams. Where the previous Xenon had thick bands of raised stitching between the leather panels, these ones have narrow seams that jut out in quite a different way.

It's also worth pointing out that my old Xenon had beautiful leather with different textures on the different panels; these ones are just plain. Not sure if the change in leather has any ergonomic consequences.

Fizik Aliante. Selle Italia Flight. Numerous touring saddles, including a Koobi Enduro AU.

[Mar 07, 2008]
steff

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely comfortable, despite the very thin padding. Light too, especially at the price I got mine for.

I've heard tell of rails breaking, but only from mountain bikers, I think. Mine's still pristine.

I got mine from Cycle Surgery for half price when they stopped selling Koobi saddles. Having ridden the Dunwich Dynamo (120 miles or so, overnight) the year before on a Dahon Helios SL I wanted a decent saddle for the proper road bike I was building. I wasn't disappointed - my tender commuter's arse arrived in very good order.

Various cheapo town/leisure saddles. The race-shaped I-beam from the Dahon. Selle Italia traditional race saddle.

[Aug 17, 2007]
J.D.

OVERALL
Strength:

Main vain cut out for the boys, and it's like a great pair of leather shoes, stiff and soar at first but then it is nirvana for your cheeks. 240gr for a very comfortable seat

Price if you pay retail

All I have to say to someone interested in the Xenon is give it a chance. Your first 2-3 rides it sucks! Hard as a rock. However after ride 3 it is un-real! So comfortable and I'm able to concentrate on my ride and not my a$$.

[Aug 08, 2007]
christris

OVERALL
Strength:

Split seat, no numbness, no more saddle sores. Stiff and able to handle pressure. The best seat I have ever ridden hands down.

No real padding, tough with tri shorts.

I was having problems with saddle sores from my junk Bontrager seat and picked this one up on a whim. From the first sit it was perfect. I broke a seat rail and they fixed it for $20. I don't want to ride without it.

Bontrager race lux

[Mar 08, 2007]
pde

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable for a saddle of its type!

Price, if you were buying one new...

Ran across one of these second hand at Pedal Revolution, while looking to replace an uncomfortable Aliante. I got lucky, this saddle is great.

Fizik Aliante Sport, Selle Italia Flite.

[Feb 04, 2007]
swimmincg

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight
good looking
comfortable
durable

a bit too wide for my sit bones

This saddle has served me well for a couple of years. I have put a few thousand miles on this saddle and it has held up to the abuse of bad weather, a touring trip down the blue ridge parkway, triathlons, and everything in between. it is of moderate-minimal padding and the cut out runs almost the whole length of the saddle. the only complaint i have about this saddle i found out after my latest purchase. the xenon is a bit too wide for my sit bones. it was one of those things that you dont really realize until you find a saddle that fits better.

selle italia flite
profile design tri stryke
several "stock" saddles

[Jan 01, 2007]
mike jones

OVERALL
Strength:

i used to get numb feet with my slk but great no problems with this good quality product

none so far

called koobi and asked about products very good and informative got the zenon as its the lightest

slk

[Jun 14, 2005]
Sphenadon

OVERALL
Strength:

The colored leather (I bought yellow - it was cheap), has been rubbed bare where the inside of my legs rub the saddle - if you like shiny-new kit, that's a minus, but I like a little cosmetic wear-and tear.

The yellow leather wears thin - figuratively and literally.

3000+ miles on this saddle - without any chafing and only occassional numbness on climbs longer than 4 or 5 miles. The Xenon's split saddle solved every problem I had with my bits going numb on climbs, when no amount of adjusting my riding position would work for me. I bought the Xenon, and 2 weeks later spent a day riding 129mi, and climbing 15000' with a haemorrhoid - no problem. After 50-odd miles, I do need to stand over the cranks for a few seconds now and then - just for little relief. But I wouldn't call it suffering. It works for me.

Selle Italia SLR

[Apr 04, 2005]
Viking24

OVERALL

A great saddle if your looking for comfort in a lightweight package (240g). I've put a little over 2,000 miles on mine and have no complaints.