San Marco Ponza Saddles

The ponza features an essential beauty. This model has been developed on the basis of one of the world's most famous saddles, the San Marco Era, introducing new materials and technical solutions.

[Oct 30, 2012]
Richard Parkin

OVERALL
Strength:

comfortable, attractive, good value, durable (looking), waterproof

weight

Needed a saddle for new carbon race bike. Existing one was choked with carbon fibre and was hugely uncomfortable. I wanted a saddle in keeping with the bike's look and performance. Didn't want to shell out too much so bought this in a hurry as it was the only thing that looked to fit the bill. No regrets. No numbness, no discomfort. The saddle still looks racy and not over plush but combined with the rails, together it's a very comfortable set up. Seems sturdy, can't really comment on longevity but it seems like good value.A saddle is a very personal thing. Hopefully I've found a shape that is good for me and am willing to stick to it. For weight obsessives, it is a chunky fellow but at this price, what do you expect?

[Sep 11, 2011]
Muscahead2

OVERALL
Strength:

fit and finish, looks, strong, water proof, stiff

if you want to have children do not buy this, the numbness is extreme if you ride more than 8 hours a week like i do, somewhat on the heavy side, silver color fades after a year of heavy use

The saddle was the stock saddle on my cannondale, and while it's not the top of the range saddle, the fit and finish is fantastic

specialized toupe pro (great)

[Jul 26, 2010]
Miguel Lott

OVERALL
Strength:

Very solid feel, not too much padding or too little. Hits my sit bones perfectly. Nice finish.

Might be a little on the heavy side, but who cares unless you're racing professionally, and need a feather light saddle.

I have used two of these on two different bikes. They just fit me better than any of the other modern saddles I've tried. I truly believe if you're getting numbness from this saddle you're either sitting too far forward, or your frame may be too small. Both situations will put pressure on the wrong areas IMHO. I feel no pressure at all? I sit far back, and have the saddle tilted ever so slightly nose down.

E-3 Form Gel(ouch) Specialized Toupe.

[Jul 12, 2010]
fireplug

OVERALL
Strength:

overall good value
good balance between softness and firmness
still looks good after 3,000 miles

a little on the heavy side
numbness sets in if unable to get out of the saddle every now and then (rollers

Saddle came with the purchase of my Cannondale Synapse and Cannondale Six13. In both cases the saddle works fine but does have me shifting around after a few hours. But since I tend to do a lot of climbing out of the saddle it still works out sell. But watch out on rollers. Being planted in the same position allows for numbness to set in after only a short time. I do plan on testing new saddles to see if there is anything out there that I like better.

[Jun 28, 2010]
J. Allen

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid feel and confidience in position. Easy to maneuver about on and you can sit "in" the saddle; rather than feeling like you will slide off the back.

A bit on the heavy side, but not drastically. Could use better materials and lighter components/rails.

Over 8,000 miles on this saddle in just about 18 months and I have been very pleased with it. Considering it came with my original road bike and I have since transferred it to two upgraded frame purchases, I am very happy with it. This was even more evident recently when my race bike was destroyed in an auto accident while on the rear rack of my Jeep. I borrowed a team mate's extra bike to race until the Insurance company covered my new bike. His saddle was the Fizik Arione. While also a good saddle for crits and short road races, it sets in with pain after about 70 miles. I would give it my third choice behind the Ponza and Fizik Antares.

Fizik Pave', Arione, Aliante, Antares

Selle Italia SLR, Flite, Aspide

[Jun 20, 2010]
Matthijs Veldkamp

OVERALL
Strength:

- Looks great.

- Very hard if you looking for softness.
- Makes Willy go numb.

The San Marco Ponza came standard with my Cervelo bike. I have used the saddle for more than a month. Conclusion: this saddle was not meant for men! The major problem with this saddle is that is constantly delivers high pressure on the pereneum. Numbness is what you get after a while. I am using an ISM Adamo Racing seat now. Seriously, a difference between being very poor or extremely rich!

[Mar 25, 2010]
sjbryson

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, sleek, flat nose for saddle position options.

Raised center smooshes sensitive nerves and makes your junk go numb.

Ouch. This saddle has a hard, flat elevated center, perfectly positioned to smash your perineum. Thought it would offer more forward positioning options for springing and power than my WTB Rocket. It does, at a the price of anatomical damage. The true saddle litmus test: riding the rollers. It didn't pass.

WTB rocket(grade: A), WTB Silverado(C), Flite (B), Flite TransAm (D).

[Nov 22, 2009]
gmills

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable materials, nice profile

Uncomfortable

This saddle came with my Cervelo Team Soloist -- it lasted 5 minutes during my fit (swapped for a SI Flite Ti that has about 2000 miles on it now...). I recently decided to try it out again on my commuter/fixie and remembered why I didn't like it.

I don't know if it is just me but it seems to hit right at the perineum. And in a 'wide' way -- the rail along the top is about 1.5 inches wide, flat and hard. The saddle slopes away from this ridge such that my ischial spines (which should bear the majority of your weight) don't even rest on the saddle. I do like the profile and materials (looks durable) but after just a dozen miles I'm swapping the saddle back out again.
I'm not a fan of cut-outs and gel inserts (these seem to create edges and seams that cause pressure points) but this saddle seems to have the opposite effect which for me was intolerable. Sadly, every Cannondale and about 1/2 the other bikes at my LBS now come with this saddle standard. I hope people aren't getting hurt...

Selle Flite Ti, other SSM saddles

[Sep 14, 2009]
Zachariah

OVERALL
Strength:

-Still under 300g
-Long distance comfort
-Climbing nose is shaped perfectly
-Lorica cover is durable enough for MTB
-Dense EVA foam padding has rebound

-Could be lighter

This review is for the San Marco Ponza LUX(same family). So comfortable, its now going on my hardtail MTB. I've done a metric century(actually, 73 miles) on this saddle without a single hitch.

This saddle is the slightly heavier, affordable version of the 230g San Marco Era K road/MTB saddle. At 288g, this saddle makes up for weight in absolutely wonderful comfort.

-Fizik Pave
-Selle Italia SLR
-Specialized Toupe/Phenom SL
-WTB Rocket V Laser
-Bontrager RXL

[Sep 04, 2009]
mirror_mirror

OVERALL
Strength:

I really the slightly cushy and *grippy* stripe of fabric in the center, which prevents me from sliding around when I'm going full bore in the drops. Riding a Toupe, Forte SLX or Aspide saddle, I always ended up sliding forward on the tip, "right on the button", which got uncomfortable quick. The upward bend at the rear of the saddle gives good support, and it's narrow enough that you can sit slightly forward or back without your legs running into the saddle. I find it comfy on long rides.

Also it's cheap and the padding materials and surface materials are good.

Sometimes I get numbness, so I would like to see the same shape but with a small cutout.

It's on the heavy side at ~270g, not for weight weenies. I think it could be made a lot lighter, maybe using a carbon-infused shell with Ti rails.

Heavy, grippy, comfy. Wish it had a cutout though.

Selle San Marco Aspide, Aspide Gel, Specialized Toupe, Performance Forte Pro SLX