Selle SMP Glider Saddles

Best Price At

The Selle SMP Glider Carbon Rail Saddle delivers comfort at a feather weight. Wide cut-away with dropped nose relieves pressure on soft tissues and promotes blood circulation. Designed to be comfortable in all riding positions. Carbon fiber infused nylon-12 shell. Foamed elastomer padding. Nap Leather cover. Carbon Rails. 210 grams.

[Dec 21, 2019]
binoscope

OVERALL
Strength:

So far it's like the seat dissapeared. Much easier to get on the drops without any pains. Has a definite place to sit, my old seat I was always moving forward and back to try to get comfortable, the glider is just right.

Non so far

Price Paid:
Model Year:
2019
[Aug 10, 2012]
Martin

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort. Eliminates numbness and pain. Attractive. Available in four colors. Very nice finish.

Extremely dependent on proper set up and fit.If not exactly in the proper alignment, it will be rather uncomfortable. Definite break-in period, and time required to get used to this saddle.

I first found out about this saddle when I had a dynamic performance fit at a local bike shop when shopping this winter for a new ride. The saddle on the rig was the SMP Glider. It was very comfortable. I decided right then that no matter what frame and components I bought, the saddle would be the SMP Glider. When I first took delivery of my bike, the Glider had not come in so they put a temporary saddle for a week. When the saddle arrived, the shop owner put the saddle on without any other adjustments or compensating for differences in saddle size and position. This was a mistake. I had discomfort right away. I fiddled around with position, but couldnt' get it right. I was discouraged and almost returned the saddle. I brought the bike in for a fitting with the new saddle. Dave at International Bicycle Center spent an hour with me and my bike on a stand taking measurements, making adjustments, and really getting the saddle in the proper position for me. He noted that my left peddle cleat was 2 mm inboard and 1 mm too far forward, giving me an asymmetrical cadence. Once all these adjustments were made, the saddle suddenly lost all discomfort, and has been comfortable on rides as long as 88 miles.

There is a definite learning curve. It is different having one's weight spread over a whole saddle, vs. concentrated on two sit bones. With all your weight concentrated on just those two spots, those spots must be in the proper position. It makes all the difference in the world.

With the proper set up, I really love this saddle. I will probably not ride any other saddle. As a 60+ year old diabetic, I am worried about vascular damage or injury. I feel I can rest assured with this saddle that it is unlikely to occur.

Terry Fly, Sella Italia Flite, San Marco Concour

[Aug 23, 2010]
nickma

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable yet firm, perfect fit, light(ish), long rails, no chafing, no numbness, fit and forget

MUST get the seat aligned absolutely parallel to the ground for maximum comfort - use a spirit level.

The Glider is the perfect balance for me in the SMP range. Having tried the Pro with its rounded profile, and the chunky Avant with its flat seat and heavily padded nose, the Glider works best for me due to its flattish profile, providing a much better match for my sit bones than the Pro, and has a slim, lightly padded nose, which ensures no rubbing or chafing. Numbness is a thing of the past with the large cutout dissecting the seat along most of its length. Padding is just right: firm, supportive, comfortable, no squishiness. Really long seat rails mean that possibilities for adjustment are infinite, and may help absorb bumps and road shock. I am 6 ft tall and 87 kg.

SMP Pro, SMP Avant, San Marco Regal-e, Flite, Flite Max Titanium,

[Apr 10, 2010]
makaw

OVERALL
Strength:

No numbness, very comfortable,easy to get used to

nothing so far

I have just ridden with this saddle for 4 hours for the first time. The pressure is just at the right point, there is only slight pain in the sitbones, but it is quite normal for the first ride.

Stock saddles

[Feb 28, 2010]
Gray hair 46

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, style

Wore out one year!

Very comfortable! No soreness, even after 4 hours in the saddle. HOWEVER - I wore through the leather in 4000 miles. At 5 foot 9 and 155 lbs, a saddle should last at least 10K miles for me.

Many

[Jan 23, 2010]
kupsickted

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort
Style
Wide range of sizes in the brand

Other than the price none for me.

I can't say enough good things about thios saddle. I have ridden it on several 100+ rides, including the Assault on Mt Mitchell and Bridge to Bridge. I recently decided to try another saddle, don't ask why, and after several tried and lots of money lost I came right back to the SMP. I must say I did make a lot of people on ebay very happy. I know saddles are a very personal thing but if you have had trouble in the past give this one a try. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's worth it.

Fizik Arione, Antares and Aliante
Selle Italia Flight Gel Flow and Gel Flow Max
Specialized Toupe and Avatar

[Mar 29, 2009]
Bertrand

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort comfort comfort, quality construction

expensive at full price.

I think I've finally found the right saddle. It took 2-3 weeks for my butt to build up tolerance, but today I was in the saddle for about 2-1/2 hrs, and when I got home, I realized I hadn't even noticed the saddle during the ride. This is the first time I can say this. Although it doesn't allow much room for fore-aft movement, once it's adjusted horizontally, you just settle in and go. It's also extremely comfortable in the drops, rotating forward into the saddle. No numbness at all.

SI SLR, SMP Evolution, Terry Ti Race, Fizik Aliante, San Marco Rolls.

[Mar 28, 2009]
Larry Theobald

OVERALL
Strength:

NO SMASHING! Just like the advertising claims. You sit "in" this saddle rather than on it. Grabbing the "hooks" to get low aerodynamically is totally comfortable now, no pressure on the "tender vittles" no matter how low you want to get. Super long rails let you dial in your position perfectly.

The only weakness could be the price (over $250) when compared to some others. But SMP could make seats/upholstery for Ferrari I think, they're amazingly well-made, 100% Made in Italy as well.

Both of us LOVE this saddle. We did an expensive and time-consuming test program trying to find comfortable saddles after years of using old-time designs like Turbo, etc. We tried seemingly everything out there with a slot, cutout or hole before moving up to the more expensive SMP saddles. I thought these looked a bit odd when I saw them in an Italian magazine years ago but after a client on one of our bike tours showed up with one, I became curious enough to try one after our search had gone through the lower priced alternatives from Sella Italia, San Marco and others. After getting used to it (we did try Pro, Evolution and Stratos before deciding upon the Glider models as most fitting to our anatomy) we'd never use anything else!

We tried most all of 'em, from Neuvations, Terrys, Selle Italia, San Marco, etc.

[Jun 17, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable for me up to 60 miles. The nose shape keeps shorts from snagging on the nose of the saddle.

Comfortable up to 60 miles and I do a lot of centuries and double centuries.

Great saddle up to around 60 miles. After 60, it becomes a little uncomfortable. I like to ride in century and double century one day events. Took this out on a century and it held out for roughly 60 miles before I became uncomfortable.

Fizik Aliante

[Jun 17, 2008]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Cutaway is nice and the downward nose helps prevent your shorts from getting caught on the nose of the seat.

No real weeknesses other than the comfort only lasted about 60 miles.

Great saddle up to 60 miles. After that, I began feeling uncomfortable.

Fizik Aliente