Selle SMP Dynamic Saddles

Best Price At

Selle SMP's ideal saddle for intensive training or free time cycling. Foamed elastomer padding where ischial tuberosities rest. Particularly suited for lightweight riders with medium-wide pelvises. Made in Italy.

[Aug 01, 2019]
mrmarbury

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks and feels. I think this is one of the best saddles around. I ride this saddle on my road bike and by track bike. I feel very comfy and secure in this saddle and have no numb parts even after long rides. Also no shifting around all the time.

the metal bars widen to fast on the back of the saddle which makes it hard/impossible to attach items that have to be clamped there. My Triathlon Bottle holder almost doesn't fit

Price Paid:
2019
[Oct 21, 2012]
Artur N

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality, design, comfort in any situation

Price, but you pay for an outstanding saddle

I always considered that saddles are the most important componet on a bike - and the most personal as well - and in 30 years of bicycling ( I am 55 yo ) - either MTB or Road - I had always very good saddles -Flites, SLR Transam,,San Marco's Concor Light and Arami Night Train .

None of the above mentioned saddles gave me trouble, maybe because when adjusting each of them, I was always very careful and methodical. I like unpadded saddles or minimal padded saddles.I consider that too much padding does interfere with my pedaling and overall "discomfort". So I always had unpadded saddles - I used for a long time a Flite Evolution - carbon/titanium rails - which is very flexible and I always had in mind that the shell of a saddle should be a bit flexible. All the above are flexible saddles. I stopped bicycling during 4 years and when returning to the sport - last August - I decided to buy a brand new saddle to my road bike, as the Arami was a bit old !

My first choice, would be a Fizik Kurve Snake - flexibility, remember ? - but I started to look more carefully to the SMP range ! I always had saddles with a cut out - the Flite carbon does not have the cut out but never caused any numbness in my lower parts - and the approach of SMP started to make some sense: very hard shells - your energy goes directly to the pedals and is not lost on the flexibility of the shell - several degrees of padding, according to the model you choose - and two main designs: the Composit family and the Forma family. The Dynamic belong to the Forma family and it is a Forma with a very thin layer of high density foam. After reading this great article : http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/09/all-about-smps/ - and being undecided between the Stratos and the Evolution - I decided for a Dynamic

Well, I bought it through the internet - was the first time I bought a saddle without touching it - a risky buy, considering the price - and when it arrived I was amazed with the quality of it! But quality is one thing, comfort and efficiency is another thing.

Well, I mounted the saddle as instructed in the complete leaflet that was inside the box - I have not leveled the saddle as instructed , as I prefer to have the beek of it a bit lower, let's say, 2mm, and the saddle centered on the rails - and went for my first test ride of 35 kms, mainly for adjustments. It is a hard saddle , a tough shell ( no flexibility whatsoever ) and the little amount of padding is enough for the road irregularities. Let me tell you that part of my training circuit does include pavement very similar to the Roubaix-Liege race - and very smooth to very irregular tarmac. I decided to lower the beek a bit more - it is now with +/- a minus 4 mm and push the saddle a bit forward ( 10mm ). So far, so good! Next day, I went for a 70 kms ride and surprise: after 5 minutes, I just forgot the saddle, and the cut out is extremely efficient when on the drops: I do not feel any pressure, which I did in all other saddles!

But the "proof of the pudding" came when I had to make some commuting cycling, normally dressed with jeans : unbelievable, it seemed even more comfortable ( when training, I use shorts with not too much padding, anyway ) but being with jeans without any padding, was a surprise on the Dynamic. I could not believe it! Amazing.

As per the price, well, it is nor cheap but the best saddles around are not cheap anyway, so I considered a very good investment.

However, a word of advice: fine adjustments are crucial for the overall comfort and when you got it right, you are probably seated in one of the best saddles - if not the best - I have came across in 30 years of bicycling.

A great " do it all " saddle that justifies the price it has! And it is so well built and finished, that I suspect that it goes to last forever.

I have made the right choice and I am very happy with it, with no regrets!