Specialized Avatar Saddles

Gel pads make this saddle the perfect companion for long rides. 3 width options properly support your sit-bones, while Body Geometry technology reduce numbness and ensure blood flow for the entire ride.

• Available in 3 different widths to ensure a perfect fit for a range of riders with different sit-bone widths
  • Scientifically proven Body Geometry design with V-Groove plus window relieves pressure and improves bloodflow , even in extreme riding positions
  • Gel padding with a layer of memory foam for lasting comfort
  • Hollow Cr-Mo rails
  • Length 270mm

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 26, 2019]
    Revel_

OVERALL
    Strength:

After trying about a dozen saddles on the college racing team, I ended up finding this one. it was one of those saddles that you just look at and just know that it will work well. I needed a wider perch for my sitbones and a bit extra padding. I don't know what's "wrong" with me, but no saddle shape i ever tried was perfect enough for me to have very little padding. the new (2019) version of this saddle is what specialized calls level 3 (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/avatar-comp-gel/p/156642) and it seems perfect. their level 2 padding on the romin for example, feels like torture to me.

as with most gel saddles. the gel does wear out. i had the version that looks like the photo at the top of the review. thankfully that version was just little gel pads on top of the standard foam padding, so it wearing out made it a little less cush for sure, but just as supportive. i think it was a great design. I haven't tried the new one yet, but if my forthcoming fabric radius scoop 155 doesn't fit the bill, i'll probably be checking out a new avatar.

Price Paid:
    2004
    [Jun 08, 2010]
    Cdn rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Comfort. Even after 3hr rides. My butt is fine.

The suede on top has worn down quite quickly. Weight. Too heavy. Not sleek looking.

Saddle came on a tri frame/fork/seatpost pkg I bought. Hesitated months before deciding to try it out. The looks and weight were bothering me a little. Given that i'd been using a specialiZed gel toupe for a good while. Wow! What a comfort difference. I may not go back to the toupes I own. Thinking of buying another avatar for the other bikes I have. If only they were sleeker and lighter....

SR Mach 1, specialized toupe gel

[Apr 28, 2010]
    Keith

OVERALL
    Strength:

After 4-5 hours in the saddle no numbness is a thing not missed

None at all i have 3 of these saddles, and would have no problem choosing these over the Fizik as i did. Heavy ... maybe but when your my size a few 100 grams really wont make the difference

Bought this saddle for my first Road bike, and being on the larger side of the weight scale found it incredibly comfortable after a few hours in the saddle. Loved it so much that replaced the saddle on my mountain bike with the same one. And have now bought a white one (all be it a test saddle)for my new machine. If your on a good thing stick to it.

Specalized Alias

[Oct 02, 2009]
    Tommy Walker

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks great
    Very comfortable
    Great Price

Wish the rails were Titanium

Just purchased my Cervelo RS and it came with the San Marco Ponza saddle, which I knew I was tradiing in at the fitting. I did not look at the saddles that Conte's had to offer, but a little disappointed when I saw all they had were Specialized. I was ready to shell out the $$$ for a Fizik or Selle with Ti; but none to choose from. So the Avitar was a good fit (it's important to make sure you have the correct size saddle) and I can actually ride on the saddle very comfortably. I haven't had a long ride with it yet, I'll know this weekend, but I wish it came with Titanium rails.

San Marco Ponza, Bianchi OEM saddle

[Sep 09, 2008]
    Beersman1

OVERALL
    Strength:

Comfort for a heavy rider that does 5+ hour rides.So far very durable. I usually chafe the front sides through and the cover on this one seems smooth enough that it should not happen.

Heavy. 350 grams for my width 143. It really could use Titanium rails.

I am a 6'2" 200 pound rider. I get about 200 miles a week. I do several Centuries a year. I have done a few doubles as well so my but knows seat time. My favorite saddle was the old Turbomatic 3. Switched to a Titanium Flite, wore it out and besides, it felt like a brick after 3 hours. Tried a few other seats before finally running across this saddle. It is a bit heavy at 350 grams, but 4 ounces extra when your a 200 pounder means nothing. Especially when your butt feels comfortable.

This seat was softer than I was used to and has a slightly flatter platform. It took me about 200 miles to get used to the softness. My sit bones felt bruised. Now it is by far the most comfortable saddle I have ridden. No numbness and it seems to have a spot for every position. Upright, on the hoods, drops, climbing or what ever you need. I have had this saddle for 4 weeks now and around 800 miles. 1 80 mile heavy climbing ride and 1 100 miler. Butt felt nice every mile.

4 star saddle for me. I had Italian saddle tunnel vision and missed these great saddles for years.

Sella Itallia Flite
    Turbomatic 3
    Forte SLX Carbon
    Fiziks (forget model)

[Aug 16, 2008]
    cervelodude

OVERALL
    Strength:

Gel Padding
    Body Geometry
    Fits my rear

Only had this seat a few days. Durability has been an issue with some seats so we'll see with this one. Also, its a bit pricey.

Just finished a 75 mile ride on a new Avatar 143mm saddle. It took me a few quick stops to get the seat position right but this seat was awesome! The gel padding keeps the road chatter to a minimum and the groove keeps the blood flowing to your pelvic region. I was most impressed with how comfortable it felt during the later stages of the ride. The seat really disappeared under me.

My only disclaimer is that I had been riding a stock specialized saddle before this so I am familiar with the Body Geometry shape. I have ridden on many seats in the past and the Avatar was by far the most comfortable.

Selle Italia, Specialized

[Jun 12, 2008]
    1bigfellow

OVERALL
    Strength:

- gel padding
    - multiple sizes
    - cut outs
    - shape
    - good quality

- none that come to mind
    - only black available in Oz.

Purchased this to get rid of the numbness experienced with previous saddle.
    Initial impression on first couple of rides was good. The 143 size was allowing for the sit bones to sit on the saddle. After third ride in one week,noticed that numbness was going and that the pain getting on the bike was less.
    Required little breaking in if any. Comfortable saddle for the 2-3 hour rides.

Bauer 140mm

[Jan 15, 2008]
    heraken

OVERALL
    Strength:

Comfort, looks, and above all, it works.

Not sure if there is any, and I won't know until I get some more time on the bike.

All I can say is that THE NUMBNESS IS GONE !!!!!! The best test to me is riding on my rollers, where you sit and crank for long periods without standing. This saddle passed the test.

Fitzik Alliance Sport thing that was attached to my bike when I bought it. One outdoor season biking was enough!

[Aug 24, 2007]
    Jay

OVERALL
    Strength:

Aesthetically beautiful, a real cool looking seat.

Expensive and does not live up to the hype that Specialized boasts.

Bought this based on the 'technology' and was sorely disappointed. I went to the Avatar after using a low-end WTB Speed V saddle. The Avatar did not make the numbness and pain that I was trying to alleviate go away, but instead, it actually made it worse. After one month and over 300 miles to break it in, I decided to end the suffering and bought a Terry Fly Ti, which is all that the reviews crack it up to be...excellent.

WTB Speed V (low-end model much more comfortable than the Avatar at 1/3 the price), Terry Fly Ti (kind of expensive, not as cool looking as the Avatar, but worth every penny paid for it)

[Jul 15, 2007]
    Triakel

OVERALL
    Strength:

The saddle is firm, but comfortable, for the first 30 miles. The gel inserts are a nice addition. The gap in the seat for arterial flow seems well placed. Construction is good quality and probably appropriate for (retail) cost of saddle.

After 40 miles, my sitbones begin to ache and my legs develop numb spots. I begin to "search" with my butt for a comfortable position, sliding my sitbones ahead onto the rivet and then back onto the "cushion." A ride of 50 or more miles requires analgesics and breaks for stretching. I am unsure if this is entirely the saddle's fault -- I believe I might have required a wider saddle, as my sitbones start in the gel area but hang over the outer edges of the saddle. The sewing around the gel pads creates "hard" spots, and the plastic -- not leather as some reported -- of the Avatar saddle is also hard on a long ride.

I have the 143mm version of the Avatar, which came with my 2006 Specialized Roubaix Elite. I was "fitted" for the bike using the shop's fitting system, so ostensibly the position and width of saddle are optimal. I am age 36, 5'11" and 190 lbs, with a 33-inch waist. I have logged about 400 miles on the saddle in about 3 weeks' time.

Cheap Serfas gel saddle, Bianchi "Velo", nothing fancy.