Specialized Toupe Saddles

Specialized's Toupe is a minimalist saddle with Specialized's Body Geometry technology for top-notch comfort. It features a carbon-reinforced shell, ultra-light foam padding and hollow titanium rails for extreme lightness. More importantly, with 3 widths to choose from, Specialized's world-renowned ergonomics and a water-resistant Micromatrix top, this high-tech seat is amazingly comfortable and durable, too.

[Jun 14, 2015]
Ken

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable

None yet

The Toupé Expert Gel, Ti rails, 143mm, came stock on my new 2015 Roubaix Pro Disc. Have about 600 miles on it and so far has been the most comfortable seat I have ridden. Ride distances from 11 mile work commute to 85 mile sportive. Had a Ritchey WCS on my old bike, that I was happy enough with, but the Toupé is significantly more comfortable with a good surface finish. Little on the grippy side but no sliding around, which is good. Looking for one to put on the Serotta. I am 173cm, 76kg. Bikes are soooo cool. I know, stating the obvious.

ProLogo, yuck
Avocet, back in the day, nice saddle but not made anymore

[Mar 14, 2015]
Yvonne Nyakana

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, durability, look and design, quality materials

Cost

I am a woman roadie and I struggled with many months on the wrong saddles. It was frustrating to know I could ride further, but a sore seat always shortened my rides and lengthened my recovery time as well. Finally during a custom fit in preparation for a multi-day ride, I confided in my adjustment consultant about my discomfort and he suggested that perhaps I consider a bike with a narrow seat. I had nothing to lose, so I agreed sight unseen. He put the Specialized Troupe on my aluminum Defy. Riding on the right saddle after struggling for so long, what an awesome feeling. Now I recently purchased a carbon Avail Advanced and I plan to invest in another Specialized Troupe.

[Mar 14, 2013]
Gary Blalock

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable

Haven't found any yet.

I'm a Roadie!!!! I've ridden a road bike for five years now and I'm in my late forties. I've bought several high end saddles, never found one I liked.Money wasted, I went to a bike shop just outside of Ashville NC and purchased a Specialized Toupe Plus and placed onto my Kestrel road bike. I was fitted for a 154mm and the salesman recomended this saddle. I wanted to purchase a Specialized saddle after all I'd read and heard about from other riders. I LOVE this seat. make the move and try one for yourself. A thirty mile ride with no pain and I haven't even gotten it broken in yet. I can only imagine it will even feel better as time and rides go by. I'm just a weekend warrior but I try to ride a few rides a week or 75 miles. This was worth every penny just for the comfort. With the other saddles over twenty miles was complete pain. and you needed a day between rides just to recover. this is one thing worth buying.. Trust me... Good Luck and Safe Riding....

[Sep 16, 2012]
David McPherson

OVERALL
Strength:

Really like the BG fit and sit bone sizing on the Toupe. Have had fizik and Selle San Marco saddles over the years, and the 142 width fits perfectly and makes for a very comfortable ride - short and long, in the drops and slid back a bit on the climbs. No numb bits or abrasions from wing edges, etc.

That said, have had two failures in 3 years. I'm 200 lbs and ride smooth roads with very little "pave", but 2 years ago the left wing cracked. Got a replacement under warranty, and today one of the rails gave way. Good thing was only 10 miles into the ride.

Great design and dig the BG science. It works. Durability seems to be a problem however.

fizik Antares, Selle San Marco Aspide, Specialized Avatar,

[Jan 01, 2012]
Colin

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, looks good, lasts well

May only be useable on certain bikes, very strange.

I bought this saddle for my carbon Bianchi after snapping a rail on my Fizik. Popped it on, got changed and headed out. Jeez, 100 mtrs in I thought i had forgot to put the saddle on, the pain was so great. Suffered for another hour and returned home near to tears. Ordered another Fizik that afternoon. However, thought I would try it on my Orange P7 commuter bike and cannot believe the difference, simply the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden over long distances ! So the moral of the tale is if you like the saddle, change bikes as you can't change your butt !

San Marco Rolls, Fizik Arione

[Jul 12, 2011]
LosGatosRider

OVERALL
Strength:

Works great, comfort-wise, when it's dialed in to your body size/shape, riding position, and bike geometry.

Can be murder on your butt if all (or any?) of the above are not quite right.

I've been riding a Toupe gel for over two years now. It literally fell into my hands as a give-away from a work colleague. I knew of its reputation so it seemed like a great windfall.

I first mounted it on the borrowed bike I had been riding for over two years-- an early-2000s aluminum-frame Bianchi that is my girlfriend's old bike (before she bought her Madone). That bike got me started in road riding, but my body was at the ragged edge of the fit envelope for it. I struggled with the Toupe on that bike. So much so that at the end of a 2-day, 190-mile ride (after riding it for many months) I was chafed raw on the inside of my sit bones. I was about to give up on it.

Then I bought my Bianchi Infinito, and everything changed. Somehow, this saddle just WORKS on that frame geometry, for me.

It’s a really subtle change of riding position, but it makes all the difference. Now I ride a century and start to feel a little tender after about 80-85 miles, but at the end of the event I could ride further without major discomfort. Before, my butt was so tender after 40-50 miles that I’d be standing and coasting each time I saw a rough patch of road approaching. Today, the Toupe is an old friend and I’ll keep it as long as it lasts. I’m a big guy, 200+ lbs, if that makes a difference.

Moral of the story: It’s not only the saddle that determines the comfort of your ride and the health of your backside. Frame geometry and material. Saddle position. Stem length. They all matter. I can’t believe the difference I’ve experienced with the exact same saddle on two different bikes.

[Jun 14, 2011]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

It’s Comfortable, compliant and feels great. I believe it’s the best saddle I’ve ever ridden.

However, I am a 200-lb plus guy. After about 6 months one of the rails will break and I’ll have to replace it. This is the 2nd or 3rd generation saddle. The first generation would break at the wing above the rail. Specialized seem to fix that problem, so now the rail is the issue.

The Toupe is light and very comfortable, no pressure or numbness on even very long rides (10 hours+). Adjusted properly it did not take getting used to.

Terry, Fizik, Selle, Body Geometry, Bontraeger...

[Jun 02, 2011]
Matthew Parrish

OVERALL
Strength:

Great construction
Extremely light
Flexible enough to smooth out any hard road conditions
No discomfort or blood flow issues to the perineum.
Damn sexy looking saddle

The hard plastic nose is a bit tacky.

I bought this originally for my alumimum Trek. Anyone that has ridden for very long on an aluminum frame knows how harsh the ride can be. In order to make the ride bareable for more than say 50 miles, I had to find a saddle with some padding to smooth things out, but each one had the horrible side effect of soft-tissue damage. I decided to go to the opposite end of the spectrum with this saddle, going with a saddle that has the least amount of padding I've seen in a long time. The concept and testimony from others about the almost hammock-design of this saddle sounded promising. The first time I got out on it, I HATED it. I thought my ass was going to commit suicide after about 20 minutes, but I stuck with it and by the 2nd or 3rd ride, I was completely 100% sold. It's like a fine leather shoe; once it breaks in (or your ass breaks into it... either way), it is the last saddle you'll ever want. I've had mine for about 4-5 years now and it's held up great. My bike has changed, but I've kept the saddle. It'll go with me wherever I go until it falls apart on me. I just hope they continue to make these in the future!!

Fizik Arione & Selle San Marco Forato

[May 02, 2011]
Cody

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, comfort-over-long-ride. Really, what more is there in a saddle?

I'll let you know when I figure one out.

To all you people who think this seat is rated below a 4: you need to get yourself fitted to your bike and saddle.

For you people who are thinking of purchasing a saddle, get this one. It's super light. It's super comfy. It does not create hot spots/num spots/burn spots. It is simply the best saddle my buns have ever sat on. Granted, it does take a few miles before you really understand the true comfort.... and comfort is truly a blessing. This is better than the fiziks I was trying, better than... well.... all the saddles I was looking into. Specialized, you have won the love of my butt and back!

fiziks, bontrager, etc.

[Mar 30, 2011]
Håkan

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, weight, looks. Great on long rides.

Weak rails.

I've used this for a bit lessthen a year. Have ridden it for about 500km's.

It is light and very comfortable, no numbness on even very long rides. Didnt take long for med to get used to it either.

Comfort, stiffness and everything is great. Best saddle ive had.

But.. After about 400km's the left rail have started to give and its a bit nervous to ride it.
I'm a big guy though @ 220 pounds.

I will be getting the team saddle from warranty, hopefully it will cope better with the titanium rails.

would give it 5 if it wasnt for the weak rails. Prolly not an issue for lighter riders though.