Thomson Road Seatposts

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 26, 2009]
    sjbryson

OVERALL
    Strength:

Overall this has been a great seatpost--no squeaks, never slips, micro-adjustable.

After a few years of hard use, both bolts broke, within a couple months of each other. First one, I had to ride 15 miles of a RR standing. Perhaps it was me overtightening but I don't think so. I think fatigue. I'm a light guy, 140, and don't tend to slam into my saddle. Admittedly, I had the saddle for 8 years.Is it possible to create a bolt that won't break eventually? Probably not, but still give 4/5 because it isn't impossibly perfect.

Except for breaking bolts (admittedly after years of use), this post deserves it's great rep. The dual bolt design is solid,and the finish and milling is superb.

80's C-record
    Kalloy
    Race face x-wing

[Aug 30, 2009]
    Mike T.

OVERALL
    Strength:

Solid saddle mounting. Easy adjustment. Fine adjustment (any angle). Two bolt clamp. One piece head.

For the setback design I'd prefer a curved tube (like the Eriksen) to Thomson's bent shaft. They look like the tube got kinked. Otherwise there are no weaknesses.

This is truly an excellent piece of work. I can't imagine how it could be improved upon. It's easy to mount a saddle and even easier to adjust the saddle angle. None of the toothed adjustment here - you can get the saddle angle just perfect. There can be no slippage either due to the two-bolt clamp. The ribbed finish on the shaft is a great idea and helps to prevent shaft downward slippage.

An older Moots Ti (with the infuriating saddle rail clamp). Deda Blackstick. Campagnolo.

[Jun 24, 2008]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Solidity, lightness, seat angle settings.

No height measures

This is a review for the Setback Masterpiece 330mm.

When it arrived it came in a little velvet bag, reminding me of an expensive pair of shoes. This was a very nice touch.
    The post itself appears to be very solid. It's very light, and offers very precise settings for the angle of the seat. This is also very nice.

I had some issues with slipping due perhaps to some residual "anti-sieze" (titanium frame with a former titanium post) in the tube - this required a lot of cleaning.

Other than that, I'm very satisfied.

Van nicholas titanium post.

[Mar 30, 2008]
    roadie92

OVERALL
    Strength:

Its dtrong and highly adjustable.

none that I know of

This is a great seatpost. The thing i like most about it is the adjustments that can be made. You can have it at almost any angle you want it.

[Mar 11, 2007]
    Paul

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong, precise settings.

Not enough setback if you like to be behind the BB more.

Not enough setback for me. With the saddle banged back all the way, I can only get about 2cm behind the bottom bracket.

Appears to be strong and fairly easy to adjust, but just not enough setback.

I've had the best results with my Campagnolo Chorus Ti seatpost (one bolt adjustment, strong, enough setback), but not enough seatpost length for my compact frame.

Campy - great!

[Jan 19, 2007]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, strong, aluminum, GREAT hardware -- extremely adjustable, no setback for those that like that kinda thing.

No markings on the 'effin tube!! I need to pull out a damn tape measure every time to see if I've got it in right (either that or chalk the tube). Not cool.

Setback model is a little too funky a design for my tastes -- I prefer the head to be setback and not the tube.

This is for the Thomson Elite 27.2 x 250mm
    Pretty seatpost, extremely easy to slide in and out due to the construction -- it's polished but ribbed for ease of installation and good grip.

I was afraid of buying carbon...well, anything -- either for my cockpit or post, and Thomson looked like a light, strong alternative. The clamp really cradles the rails, and is awesome to adjust. Really fantastic system for back-and-forth and up-and-down adjustment. No markings on the tube for insertion reference, however.

Ritchey Pro

[Jul 09, 2006]
    Mike C

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, durable, silver, does not slip.

none so far

This is a great seatpost, light and stiff with no slippage. I was either going to get this or an easton ec70 carbon post. I went with the silver thomson. It's lighter, silver and does not slip. I was thinking of carbon since my frame is all aluminum but now with this seat post and a good saddle I have no vibration problems on any ride.

bontrager race, easton carbon.

[Jun 14, 2006]
    tim in wa

OVERALL
    Strength:

see above

none at this time

Nicely built, good looks, easy to adjust and works.

[May 17, 2006]
    bikerboy337

OVERALL
    Strength:

fit, clamp adjustmensts, weight, look, everthing

clamps are a pain to adjust, but thats because there's a ton of adjustments that can be made... so not really a weakness, just take a little more time that others i've tried to dial it in correctly

Picked up 2 of these for my bikes, what can i say, best post out there.

Kore Elite, Easton EA70

[Mar 06, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Constuction and price

Not a chance

Truly outstanding! Set it and forget it. Beautiful construction and adjustability. Weight is comparable to any carbon post out there. Carbon does not make sense for a seatpost folks. Why risk it?

Campy, Ritchey.......