ITM BigOne RoadAhead Stems

Stiff. Threadless stem from ITM featuring ovalized aluminum construction. Open face. 80 degree rise, 25.8mm clamp.

[Nov 30, 2015]
Paul W.

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, good-looking.

quality of bolts

I've had this stem (not the quill version) on my bike since 2000. I've only been riding serious road for the past three years, though. Paired with Scott LF Liteflite handlebars, this stem gives me all the power and control that I need. I have the 100mm one, with the 1" steerer and 26.0 handlebar clamp width.
I might have mine media-blasted, to give it a polished look.
Also available in yellow. A quality product.
My only problem is one bolt on the steerer got stripped, so now I need to get it out and replace it.
(I'll look for stainless)
Not a big problem.

[Jan 13, 2004]
csainthenry

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks good, free, not flexy, free...

Extra heavy. paired with my Profile BRC fork and 3TTT Forma bars, the front of my bike weights 10 lbs.

This stem was the right price and length, so I took it. after a year or so on it, I havent had any problems...I haven't noticed flex like some of the other reviewers, but then again I ride a tank, and none of it even thinks about flexing. Looks pretty good, and the big ITM have actually given me some Euro cred...someone actuallt commented on it oddly enough...

Titec Knucklehead DH(long story) generic crappy stem that was ablout 6" long(cheap OEM), ITM quill stem.

[Oct 21, 2002]
joebunda

OVERALL
Strength:

None.

Weld failed. See summary.

WARNING: This stem split completely apart at the weld after only a year and a half. As I started down a hill, I suddenly found my handlebars dangling in mid-air as I did a summersault over the bike. This kind of part failure could be fatal.

[Jun 26, 2001]
Adam Mead

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, good finish

Bolts prone to rusting, poor stiffness

This stem seems like a good option however after a while they loose thier ridgity and become quite flexible.
This is a worrying problem, considering that i am not a particuarly heavy rider at 69kgs. I know of a friend who had one that snapped under normal use.
Not worth the risk, spend more money and get something better.

Cinelli

[Aug 22, 2001]
sebastiaan Lambooy

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks good, with decent anodised surface. Reasonably priced

Gets very flexy after a few months. No good for sprinting

Spend more money and get a stiffer one; The weight of this part is irrelevant if it affects rigidity. I found the syncros fantastic, and even at 140mm is still stiff and feels rocksolid. The bolts of the ITM thread and corrode too easily.

syncros, cinelli

[Apr 09, 2000]
Jesse

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff, solid

not front loading (I have the older one)

it works like a stem should. it's not the lightest, but it is very good and inexpensive.

[May 10, 2000]
yapsaw

OVERALL
Strength:

Appearance, weight and price

still looking..

Great stuff from ITM. Inexpensive and what I expect from a well crafted part.

ITM Tomahawk

[May 09, 2000]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight,construction, and design.

I have the new "open face" model and it rocks. It is also light and NOT expensive.

Other ITM

[May 11, 2000]
zelig

OVERALL
Strength:

A simple, stiff, light and well made stem.

The product name's a bit over the top.

A very nice product and excellent value. I wish it were available in a few different angles. Also, it would be nice to see stem manufacturers making them in 5mm increments instead of the trend towards 10mm only.

Salsa and Steelman custom

[Dec 20, 2000]
Jason Jouet

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, stiff, appearance

The oversized steer tube clamp width severely limits height adjustment. Replacing the BigOne with a Performance Forte I added about 2 cm worth of spacers! With that I am now able to get a better fit for height and adjust it for crits, RR's, and TT's

I know this is going to sound like BS but I crashed the bike and actually BENT the stem! It torqued around longwise so that the left handlebar was lower than the right. I put -two- different handlebars on it (which I laid on flat surfaces to ensure their straightness) and sure enough, the stem was bent. Bars were straight. Steer tube was fine. I noticed it immediately following the crash and, although slight, the stem was bent and I felt it. New stem corrected the problem. Also, the oversized steer tube clamp really limits your height adjustment. I'm much happier with my Forte. The added height I really needed. The price is right for the ITM BigOne and it does the job though so it deserves decent marks. I also liked the looks. The fact that I bent it and the big clamp detracts from the overall.

Cinelli Grammo Ti - too flexy