ITM Eclypse Stems

Lightweight, rigid construction and TIG-welded CroMo strength.

NB-Va steel, Ti-Finish/Painted Black/Ti matt, Shaft height: 135mm, Angle: 76 degrees, Extensions: 80-90-100-110-120-130-140 mm

[Jan 23, 2003]
Jake Lifson

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff. No noise. Single bolt--no open face plate gives peace of mind.

Maybe a little heavy

This is a great stem. Sure, it's not that light but it's strong, stiff, and trustworth (unlike open face-plate stems)

Deda Newton (worst stem ever)

[Jul 07, 2002]
allezmichigan

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely stiff. Troublefree and low maintenance, unlike so many of the ultralight stems of today. No removable faceplate gives me a feeling of security and peace of mind. Unbelievable value at this price. Slick polished finish.

Heavier than some. Non removable faceplate makes it a pain in the ARSS to get bars, especially anatomic ones threaded through the stem.

Bought my first one back around '95 because I couldn't find an aluminum stem that wouldn't creak or slip (I"m a pretty big dude for a cyclist).

Control Tech, Old Modolo (Yeah, I've been riding with an Eclypse for a while)

[May 22, 2002]
Nessism

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looks, stiffness, wide bar clamp lends good stability, low cost, medium low weight for a quill stem.

The wide bar clamp makes threading the bars through difficult. Open the clamp with the bolt threaded through backwards.

As far as quill stems go, this is one of the best ones. It looks great, is stiff, and cheap. Chrome finish is very durable and looks great on a lugged frame.

[Aug 15, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, good looking, lightweight, no noise

Non-detachable faceplate

Like a couple other commenters, I had a hard time getting my bars through the clamp. I use TTT Forma SLs with an ergo bend. I probably won't buy this stem again because I'm planning to stick with the Forma SL bars.

Nonetheless, now that I have the bars set up, I have no complaints about the stem.

[Jun 22, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Sturdy, classic style, stiff, fairly light, great workmanship, great price.

lousy decals - especially the Euro decal... it started to peel immediately (but so what?)

After trying an Alberto Masi pantographed 3ttt stem that kicked butt, but turned out to be a bit too long, I switched to this stem and paid a few extra bucks to have the shop install it. I probably could have done it myself, but I was just too lazy. The concept of "two bolts" is fairly recent and creates, in this reviewer's opinion, a downright ugly clamp. That may be fine if you have some kind of battleship grey industrial titanium bike, but it's a bit out of place on a bike with any sort of panache. I don't plan to change stems or bars anytime soon, so ease of switching bars is not really an issue. I'll have more of a hassle dealing with all the Ergo cables, anyway.

This stem has held up wonderfully, polishes up nicely (Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, of course - also great for Campy hubs and seatposts), is classically styled, and was a great bargain.

lots... various Cinelli, 3ttt, Syncros.

[May 31, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, great price, and fancy styling. Quality materials.

Great stem for the money...These days you can't get much for under $40...but this is an exception to the rule. It is stiff with very little flex and matches most Ti frames. It would be nice if there was a Ti bolt option on this stem...but I guess I could get one from SRP. Neverthess, I give this one a thumbs up.

Most quill stems...Cinelli 1A, XA, Grammo, TTT

[Aug 31, 2000]

not a 2 bolt or hinged

I dont understand why they make stems that require you to take off the tape and shifters and all just to swap out the stem. Its just dumb. It works ok, but if you tweak your bike it sucks. Stupid. Stop making stems like this.

Its well-made, but I wont give more than one bump for a stem with this stupid design. EVOLVE guys!

[Sep 15, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty, cheap and not too heavy

ONE BOLT CLAMP!!!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY MORE ONE BOLT STEMS! I couldn't get past the stem's one bolt clamp. I spent an hour wrestling with the stem to just mount the ITM Pro 260's: the bend on the anatomic bar was too sharp, and the stem wouldn't pass through. I managed to scratch up my bar pretty badly, and had to use a screwdriver to open the stem enough to finally mount the bar. When I finally got the bar mounted, the stem wouldn't close so that I could tighten the bolt, so I resorted to vice grips. Then, I noticed that the threading inside of the stem had stripped when I tried to use the stupid tool that they recommend using to intall the bar (it attempts to space the clamp, by unthreading the bolt, which stripped out the inner threads). AGAIN, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY MORE 1 BOLT STEMS! It is a really stupid design, when you can just clamp/unclamp almost any threadless stem from the handlebar. If you need a threaded design, go with a Deda Murex: at least they aren't so "traditional" that the cannot make an open face stem. I have no idea how the stem rides: I didn't get that far. PIECE O' CRAP!

ITM big one, ITM millenium, cheap ICON (trek)

[Dec 18, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

This Stem looks good, is pretty light and inexpensive. I will keep using this stem on my threaded bikes cause of the above qualities and its plenty stiff. I didn't think this stem was too hard to get on...unlike the people below. I figure they were using an incorrectly sized bar and also little common sense...my Grandma could get this stem on with ease!

lettering fades away after a while.....

What a good looking stem that performs well and is inexpensive? Get this stem.....

Tons of other Quill still stems....Cinelli, ITM, TTT, Ritchey....

[Jul 07, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, light for the price, no dissimilar metal corrosion problem in my steel steerer tube, keeps its finish well

decals look cheap and nasty

Great stem for the money, fit and forget, no creaking, no corrosion. Fitting problems? Well, I'd rather lever open a steel clamp than an alloy one. The clamp is wider than old school forged alloy units, so it might cause a problem getting round the corners of ergo type bars, but I use old school (ITM copy of Cinelli 66) bars with large radius curves, so no problems.

various forged alloy stems