Salsa Cycles Moto Ace S.U.L. Stems

• 55 size options
  • Forged and welded construction
  • Forged aluminum front cap
  • 25.4, 26.0, and 31.8mm clamp sizes
  • S.U.L. technology at an affordable price

[Mar 27, 2009]
Ventruck

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, light, clean looking....set it, and forget it! $40 isn't so bad of price either.

Will surely satisfy the unsure/unconfident commuter/rider who wants something beefy.

Got scratched, but I'm not going to cry over that. In fact...it's pretty hard to have it get scratched...so no real weaknesses here!

It could be considered a bit heavy and chunky for some high-end performance road riders and weight weenies. Odds are, they wouldn't be poking in this page to begin with.

Er, the weld seams are noticable but I thought it was a clean finish nontheless.

I never think about it...It's just so reliable I just don't think about it period. Beefy(yet still pretty light), clean, and comes in so many sizes - one being the one I was looking for: 135mm length with 130 degree angle.

I ride a hybrid and am mostly on road, but occasionally I do like to veer off elsewhere. While I would be confident in a road-oriented stem, this Moto Ace stem provides the extra insurance that my front end will never collapse. I actually have the stem flipped so it's more downward. Long story short, I bought me a threadless adaptor and combined it with this Moto Ace stem to attain the angle I couldn't get with a 1-1/8th inch quill.

Handling-wise, it really depends on the desire dimensions and if you sensibly chose them. I opted for the longer length and angle because I wanted more reach so I wouldn't feel cramped. Compared to my previous adjustible quill setups, it obviously has more vertical integrity since there's more than just a bolt and a clamp holding it still. The improved lateral stiffness is felt as well.But really, it depends on how well you chose your dimensions - just like any other stem.

As for putting this on a performance road bike...Some may find it needlessly chunky, but it's really not going to hurt aesthetics unless your standard is the wet carbon look - same goes with weight. The Moto Ace is really an MTB/XC stem (being that the rest of Salsa's "Moto" lineup is MTB), but it surely fits on road applications.

If money is your issue, then all I have to say is look no further. This is it: The Moto Ace has the strength to ride off-road, decent low weight, isn't too shabby-looking, and it's a steal.